Hatchet Caye Resort
US$283
US$215
US$209
  • Pool
Maya Beach Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
US$142
Orbitz.com
Turtle Inn(Placencia)
US$382
  • Breakfast included
All reviewseagle rayslion fishboat ridesouth dockhoneymoon cabanahobie catsmall islandchef christurtle excursionthe entire islandturtle spotisland paradisesea lifehighly recommend this to anyone lookingremote islandprivate islanddive shop
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We spent 6 nights on Hatchet Caye and every one of them was incredible. We stayed during the 2nd week of September and the weather was just about perfect every day (It rained during the nights). It was very humid but it didn't bother us much as we were out on or near the water most of the time and the rooms have A/C. I was worried about staying on such a small island for 6 days, but we never once were bored or got island fever. Actually, we could've stayed a few days longer...

The rooms are beautiful with stunning views. Each cabana had it's own deck with patio furniture and a small beach with a set of lounge chairs and a hammock. The room did have a safe which was nice for peace of mind, but I really don't think we needed to use it. The bathroom is spacious and up-to-date. The bed was clean and comfortable. I loved the decor of the room! The only downer was that there was no mini-fridge because we did bring some beverages to the island with us from Placencia. It's definitely not a deal breaker - I know they use a lot of power and Hatchet Caye is very energy/water efficient.

We had the same staff the entire stay so we were able to develop a relationship with each one of them. They all were very personable, friendly and always willing to accommodate. Anytime we had any questions or needed anything, we could approach any member of the staff for assistance. We felt welcome our entire stay.

The food was EXCELLENT! There is a variety of options to choose from and fairly large portions. You will not go hungry between meals. The lionfish tacos and fritters were probably our favorite. I really enjoyed starting out my day with a delicious cup of coffee while looking out over the Caribbean Sea. The beverages readily available and were cold and refreshing. David made sure to gather fresh coconuts for my Coco Loco (yum!) at dinnertime. The table was always set beautifully and the music was fun yet relaxing.

There were other couples on the island, but other than setting out together on a trip or during meal time, we really didn't run into each other often. However, since we all arrived together and stayed during the same time, we got to know each other on a first name basis.

I highly recommend taking advantage of the different adventures Hatchet Caye has to offer. The guides are professional, friendly, and knowledgable. Snorkeling with the Loggerhead turtles and the different rays was an amazing experience. The snorkeling trip around Silk Caye in the marine reserve was beautiful! Everywhere you look, there's something incredible to see. Even the snorkeling around Hatchet Caye was breathtaking. We couldn't get enough of it! We also took our own fishing poles down with us and fished off the docks on a daily basis. We caught lots of smaller fish, but the funnest part was never knowing what you were going to reel in. I didn't think we'd use the fresh water pool, but a dip in it felt amazing after being in the heat and salt water.

The best part of this vacation was having the option to decide whether we wanted to just relax or go out on an adventure. We went at our own pace and did what we wanted to do. We didn't feel any pressure...the options were there for us if we decided we wanted to go do something. Being an all-inclusive trip was another huge plus and well worth it!

Hatchet Caye is the perfect vacation spot if you are looking to unwind and really relax. Highly recommended! We will be returning!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabana #7. It was the furthest away from everything, but quiet and we didn't have people walking past our room all the time.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This place is awesome!
My wife and I went during the rainy season for the first leg of our honeymoon and we had a blast. My wife was somewhat worried about getting island fever for our 5 day/4 night leg, but she finally got in tune with island living. Additionally, the island itself is small, we were able to walk around it in under 8 minutes, but if you love water activities, then you will only be on the island just to eat and sleep. The people there were great, James our boat driver and Rasta were hilarious... but the food was spectacular! However, I would not recommend getting anything other than what is local. The local food was excellent, however, the more american style of food was just ok... I would also recommend trying anything with lion fish in it, that is one of their specialties.
Lastly, if you are big into fishing, there are a lot of bones and permits around the island, but if you want to eat what you catch, I would recommend taking a kayak and hitting up some of the buoys ( free) or do a fishing trip with them.

Oh, if you are going during the raining season, I would recommend you be prepared to travel on some rough waters. The taxi from the mainland to the island was fun for the guys, but not so much for the women. They did not like being airborne after hitting some chop.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a hammock, you will be thankful.
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had done a lot of research when deciding where to go and stay on our Belizean Honeymoon, and our three nights at Hatchet Caye were the absolute highlight! We lucked out with the Honeymoon cottage which was so lovely, and had a great time snorkeling and fishing. It was the off-season, so it felt really mellow and relaxing. The island is small and feels really intimate, and the setting is gorgeous. Be sure to do some nighttime snorkeling off the south dock to see all of the nightlife - very cool! Plus everyone on the staff bends over backward to make sure everything is great. We loved it!

Room Tip: For the best in privacy, try to reserve the honeymoon cottage!
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked a 4 night stay here instead of a 6 night stay because we were a bit worried that we would get bored on the island. That is definitely not the case here! We wish we had a few more days to fully experience all they have to offer.

We were somehow lucky enough to get the honeymoon sweet for our stay so we had no other couples attached to our cabana and we had a great view of the pier from our room. I highly suggest getting that cabana if you can. The snorkeling here is great! You can snorkel right off the pier and if are brave enough, you can snorkel there at night as well. The first night I was there, I tried to snorkel at night. They have blue lights to light up the water at night. I got to snorkel with a few rays and one of them swam right up to me. It was pretty amazing.

They offer other snorkel and dive trips, which I highly recommend. We went out on a trip near Silk Caye and got to see huge sea turtles, rays, and even sharks. It was a really great experience. I also went on one dive with Sean, the instructor. That was also a great experience. If you're on the fence, I definitely have to say go for it! It was a once in a lifetime event. We even had the opportunity to help some baby sea turtles out to the ocean.

Lastly, I just want to give a shoutout to the staff at Hatchet Caye. They are all so helpful and incredibly knowledgeable. Daniel is a jack of all trades. He knows everything about everything that is under the water. You can ask him about anything and he most likely knows. He took us on a snorkel trip and would talk to us along the way and tell us what we were looking at and what we could and couldn't touch. Rasta is SUPER helpful. Anything you want to do or need, he will make it happen. He's also a very happy guy....all the time. It makes you happy just being around him. Sean the dive instructor was so helpful and easy going with us newbies. He made us all feel very at ease and took us on a nice little dive. If I was staying longer, I would have done a certification.

This is a great place!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hatchet Caye is a great destination. If you are a snorkeler, go for it! The coral and fish right off the dock are great and snorkeling there never gets old. The snorkel trip to Gladden Spit can't be missed due to the loggerhead turtles. I saw 4 of them and each shell was around 5 feet in diameter! The nurse sharks and various types of rays at Gladden Spit were also neat. But even off the dock at the resort I saw three different kinds of rays! And it was so easy to snorkel right there. You just left your cabana, walked for a minute to the covered dock, put on your snorkel gear and either jumped in or used the ladder. You didn't need to deal with a boat ride or a rocky beach. It was just so easy (and safe -- no one was going to steal your beach towel or flip flops!) and the snorkeling was just so great. I really can't say enough about the snorkeling right off the dock!! (I've snorkeled around the world -- Great Barrier Reef, Indonesia, Hawaiian islands, South Pacific/French Polynesia, etc. -- so I know what an "easy" snorkel is and what a "great" snorkel is. Off the dock is both!)

If you don't know how to snorkel, ride a Hobie Cat or sea kayak, speak up. Someone at the Activity Center will gladly show you (for free) and if that means taking you out on the Hobie Cat for a 30 minute sail, that's what will happen. If you are interested in doing a (free) night snorkel off the dock with the spotted rays, ask someone in the Activity Center to borrow the free underwater rechargeable lantern/flashlight. If you have questions or need something or want to do an off-island excursion (fishing trip, snorkeling somewhere else), just ask (and be sure you know the pricing for the off-island excursion before you go) and it will get set up right away.

If you go, bring your own soap. The soap that is provided is very nice, but the little circle disks are tiny and hard to hold. They will give you more soap, but having your own bar of soap that you can really hold onto would be nicer. And, there are no Kleenex. There is toilet paper in the cabana, but no Kleenex. If you have allergies, BRING KLEENEX. Also bring a flashlight or your cell phone's flashlight app. The footpath lights aren't that bright and sunset was 5:45 PM and it was dark. You need to use a flashlight of some kind to get to and from the restaurant and dock (for night snorkeling!). This will prevent you from stepping on hermit crabs or newly hatched turtles. (Yes, we saw baby turtles on the footpath heading for the foot path light! What a treat that was.)

Review your bill a day or so prior to checking out so that the check-out process can be fast. The food and beverage charges for each day are 2 line items on the bill -- the "food and beverage charges" and the tax -- but if you add them together you will be able to tell how much your total charge is for that particular day. And, the food and beverage charges on the bill INCLUDE a 10% tip. So, a draft beer that is listed as 6 Belizean dollars will show up on the final bill as 6.60. If your total charges for a day included only 2 beers, your bill would show that day as costing 13.20 Belizean dollars (split across two lines -- "food and beverage" and tax). It's not hard but it does take a few minutes to figure out. Keep track of what you buy day by day since that is how the final bill is shown.

We were there the last week of September and it was HOT. The temperature was 95º and the humidity was 89% (although there was only one brief rain one morning) so it was very, very muggy most of the time. The cabana's A/C worked well but my husband was very uncomfortable every time we left the cabana. Just be ready to sweat if you go to Belize the last week of September!!

And if you think that the photos on their website or their facebook page are too good to be true, don't worry. Hatchet Caye really does look like paradise and the photos are 100% accurate!

Room Tip: Cabana 4 has two queen beds in it but the view from the porch isn't as nice as some of the other cabanas since there are some trees right by the porch that block the wide open view of the ocean (but you still DO get to see plenty of ocean from the porch). The hammock is great!! The view from inside Cabana 4 lets you clearly see the ocean from the windows that are not the porch windows. Regarding the other cabanas: Cabana 1 is the stand-alone cabana and is the closest cabana to the restaurant and the snorkel dock. Then you have cabanas 2/3 and then 4/5 and then 6/7 and then cabana 8 shares the lower floor of the "owner's house" (?) but it has the same layout as the other cabanas. Cabana 8 is the farthest from the restaurant and is also the farthest from the ocean. All of the cabanas are fine, but I would try for cabana 1 or 2 if you want to be able to see the ocean and dock or cabana 3 if you just want to see the ocean. These three cabanas make the walk to and from the restaurant and snorkeling dock shorter.
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple