We saw a photo of Hatchet Caye on a Bloomspot discount offering (no longer available) and said we have to go!! It was well worth it and would have been even without the Bloomspot discount!
Hatchet Caye is a private 7 acre island off the coast of Belize. It's essentially a coral caye with only 9 guest cabanas near the Belize barrier reef, which is the second largest reef in the world.
Since the number of guests are limited, we really felt we like were were on our almost private island. Our cabana (#2) was very quiet and felt secluded even though we were near their long dock, which led to awesome snorkeling and manta rays at night. The cabana itself was very nice and luxurious with a beautiful bath. Our only want was some closet space or a bureau to put our clothes in.
All of the staff were great - from David and Juan, our favorite waiters in the restaurant, to Captain James, who helped us hook into an 80 pound wahoo and a 30 pound jack, to Cora lee(?) who was housekeeper and also massage therapist!! Dasha and Ramona who ran the offices also were most helpful and accommodating.
We loved being able to walk into the water and see all sorts of sea life as well as the best coral variety that we've ever seen (we've snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef, many other Caribbean spots and many places in Hawaii). We took a trip to Silk Caye where we were amazed by huge loggerhead turtles, gigantic rays and very large nurse sharks among other fish.
In addition to snorkeling and fishing, we also used their complimentary kayak to paddle around the island. They also had other toys - paddle boats, sunfishes, etc. - available.
It was an incredible trip!! Great service, very nice accommodations, incredible location!! I highly recommend it and plan to return - especially to see the whale sharks!!
jackie (and donna)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A private island on the edge of the Silk Marine Reserve, seventeen miles east of Placencia, Hatchet is on the longest reef in North America. Laugh, love, play, explore, relax, rejuvenate, and dine in the island lifestyle you want. with a mile of private shoreline and word class diving and fishing only minutes away. With a pirates past, a hideaway present, and an environmental future, Hatchet offers unspoiled environment for your unforgettable tropical island experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Odigeo, HotelsClick and Hotels.com so you can book your Hatchet Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hatchet Caye Hotel Placencia
- Hatchet Caye Resort Belize/Placencia