“Amazing AGAIN!!!!”

Hatchet Caye Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We visited Hatchet Caye in 2013 for 12 days to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We loved it so much we returned for another 12 days in May 2014. This island is small, but that's what makes it so charming! We were a little disappointed that some of the restaurant staff had changed, but that just gave us an opportunity to make new friends. Morris,Juan, Andy, and Jose made dining very enjoyable-always granting any request they could. Damiano keeps the the island in tip top shape-so beautiful in May with all the flowers blooming. We brought another couple with us this time and Sean went out of his way to insure the guys had a great diving experience. They particularly enjoyed the lionfish hunting. We also had the exciting experience of seeing whale sharks! The snorkeling is the best I've seen-and so convenient-just hop in off the dock. We snorkeled around the island almost every day day. I had 2 wonderful massages in the crows nest-so relaxing with the breeze blowing through-Thanks Shar! We stayed in cabana 6 this time as well-we like it because it's a little more private. Thank you Dasha and your entire team for making our stay so special again-we hope to return next year! PS my husband says thanks for the expensive upgrade to the dive boat-the extra horsepower makes getting to the island and dive sites that much quicker.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Beautiful LITTLE island. One small restaurant/bar. Management seems to be phoning it in although most of the staff seemed to be doing their best. We experienced the same scheduling issues with the snorkeling and departure that other reviewers mentioned. Our last day on the island consisted of getting on a boat by 7:30 am due to the fact that another party needed to catch a plane. Our frustration was compounded by the fact that our queries as to departure time went unanswered until the end of dinner the night before. Very small above ground pool attached to bar with only three sun chairs.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Scott H
hatchetcaye, General Manager at Hatchet Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you Scott for your review and feedback. We are saddened to know that you left unhappy. It is true that our island is very small and perhaps it is not a match for everyone, but we do try to make sure all guests are happy and enjoy their time with us. Upon taking to you to your room personally we spoke about the best days to sign up for snorkeling and that this could be done at the Dive Shop anytime during the day. I wish I had known that the scheduling process was difficult or inconvenient while you were still here so that we could have handled it right away. In references to your comments about 'phoning it in' I am not sure I know the meaning, however I do recall chatting with you several times during your stay directly and at no time did I get the feeling that you were unhappy, apologies if I read that wrong. It is true that our departure time depends on the flight times of the other guests and this is a logistical issue that will always be a bit bumpy and we are constantly trying to figure ways around the fact that our guests are coming/going from many different places all over the world with different flight times. We promise to take your comments into consideration as we continue to grow and learn.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Great resort. Beautiful location and professional staff. Definitely recommend taking a flashlight for the walk to and from cabanas at night so that you don't crush the hermit crabs. Additionally, I wouldn't recommend staying there over four or five days. The menu got a little boring after awhile. Good food, but not a ton of variety, especially if you're there in the off season for lobster.

Our only complaint was that we were there over a holiday weekend. A number of families came to the island from Guatemala on their boats. While the families were very nice, they had a tendency to take over the small island. While they weren't staying on the island they did use all its facilities, including taking over the dock for themselves. We weren't able to check out a kayak or paddle board when we wanted to, even though there were plenty available initially, as these families had taken all of them. Dasha, the manager, did her best to rectify the situation, but as some of the families had rented a cabana there for a night there was little she could do. Also, there are not enough staff on the island to support such an influx of people, meaning that service at meals really suffered.

The island is beautiful and the snorkeling/diving is unbelievable. I highly recommend it. Be prepared for a possibly uncomfortable boat ride out there. Ours was fine, but if you run into bad weather it will likely not be ideal. Also, be proactive with scheduling any dives or trips with the dive shop.

We would definitely go back and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gemini1223
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Hatchet Caye is really spectacular. It is very small, so it's easy to "get away for an escape." Our cabana was very clean and very comfortable. We were in room #3, which had a slightly blocked view of the ocean, but still plenty to still view. They provide high quality soap and shampoo/conditioner. The snorkeling was fantastic off their dock. The food was excellent but I warn you that the Shrimp Diavola is super spicy.

We have two children (12 and 14) who found plenty of things to do to keep them busy. We were there for 3 nights.

The reason I say "almost perfect" is because the staff could have been friendlier EARLIER in our trip. By the time we left, they had gotten to know us and were super friendly and helpful, but for the first day, I wasn't as impressed with the staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristin C
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my second trip to Hatchet Caye. The first was for 4 nights, but booked a 6 night stay this time. I love Belize and this remote, peaceful island. Some of the best snorkeling I have ever experienced is right off the pier here. Staff is great and helpful; accommodations clean and comfortable. I got my Open Water Diver certification while there with the helpful and encouraging dive staff and had the opportunity to perform some of my certification dives at Glovers Reef atoll--an amazing experience. This is a location for those who want to get away from it all for a truly relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: I have stayed in Cabana #3 on first trip and Cabana #5 on the second trip and both were comfy and co...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ellen D
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at Hatchet Caye in #9. We originally had #8, based on the reviews from TripAdvisor, but when we got there, we found that we preferred the spaciousness and king size bed of #9! I guess it depends on what you like.
Dasha, one of the managers there, was nice enough to change our room, no problem. She was very accommodating with our questions and requests, and set up our return flight from PLJ to BZE. We also fell in love with her little chunky dog, Jefe or Hefe, as we have a dog at home, and he made us a little less homesick. For folks who don't like dogs, recommend that you stay in #1, 2, or 3, as he tends to stay close to Dasha in the main office, even though he is not bothersome, in the least.
Some of the outstanding staff - Dasha, already mentioned; William, one of the boat captains; Gordon, who works in the dive shop; and the bartender/waiter (we think his name is Morris, but he is fairly new). These folks truly made each day and encounter enjoyable. And it's not that they did anything spectacular, but just by being themselves and showing that they enjoy their jobs, it really comes through. We appreciate them and truly hope that this review is shared with them.
About Hatchet Caye, my favorite thing was how we felt at one with nature. We sat on our beach just watching the pelicans dive for their dinner. At night, watch where you are walking because all the hermit crabs decide to cross the walkway! You can sit at the end of the pier after dinner and watch the spotted eagle rays gather around. I had a brown booby following me around on the dock. I will complain about this ONE thing. Please please put up some kind of blinds or reflector on the sliding glass door of #9. A bird smashed into the window during our visit, and there are marks on the glass showing that this is not the first time. :( He didn't die but was so stunned that I sat out there with him and he let me hold him and pet him until he was ready to fly again.
The food is good, and the lionfish tacos are the best tacos I've ever had! The fry jacks in the morning are delicious, and most everything we ate was pretty good. By the 3rd/4th day we were getting a bit bored with the menu, so maybe different theme nights in the restaurant might help? Most all-inclusive resorts do something like this to have a bit of variety. Not complaining, just suggesting. :)
All in all, we truly enjoyed our visit. Hatchet Caye is very laid back, and the staff is not going to cater to you as if this were the Four Seasons. If that is your preference, then this may not be the place for you. If you are a nature lover, and know how to occupy your time with outdoor water sports, excursions, and your travel companion, then this will be perfect.

Room Tip: #9 is great for those that like a little more space.
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This Caye was lovely. This was a serene setting with perfect reefs and chill staff and owners. I am planning to return with a partner sometime because this is the perfect place to unwind. The water was clear and turquoise - the staff helpful and fun; the reef was lovely though the warming water is bringing in little clear and pink jellyfish. They are not too bothersome. Some people don't notice them at all but they sting me a little.

Room Tip: I didn't sleep here - slept on the Tradewinds sailboat.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo