My mother and I recevied our trip to Hatchet Caye resort from a family friend and i must say that this trip came at the perfect time. I did not know what to expect since i did not do any research prior to our departure. I only know that it would take 2 plane trips and a boat ride to reach the island. The Resort representative stayed in constant communication with us prior to our trip to ensure that all of our questions were answered and accomodation were taken care of prior to our departure to Belize (the representative booked our trip from Belize City to Placenia).
Once we arrived in Placenia, we were greeted by our driver and taken the Resort's main office to wait for our boat transfer. We were given a brief tour of the town and allowed to walk around prior to our boat departure. The town offered various dining options/shopping and a beautiful view. We grabbed a quick bite at the Rumfish and Vino. Prior to our departure we were advised to make the necessary adjustments to our attire for the boat ride (change into shorts, apply sunscreen etc).The boat ride from Placenia to the island resort was exciting. Our captain, William, reviewed all boat safety procedures before we the trip started which put some of the travelers at ease. After about a ~50 minute boat ride to the island resort (travel time varies according to weather/water conditions), we we were greeted by the island staff with tasty tropical drinks. The island was beautiful (just linke out of a postcard) and very peaceful.
There is a pool right outside of the main dining area for those that do not wish to swim in the ocean. There are plenty of non-motorized water sports available (kayaking, paddle boarding, hoobie craft, snorkeling, fishing and diving). Yanick and Gordon (resort's water activity staff) were available throughout the day and night to assist with the water activities and also provide lessons on how to use the equipement (they wanted every guest to feel comfortable in the water and encouraged guest to experience new things).
During the snorkeling trip, the activity team took extra time to ensure everyone was comfortable in the ocean, ensured gear was functioning properly and that everyone was able to use their equipement. Yanick held a sea turtle for everyone to see!! It was an amazing expereince for all of us. Later during our stay, Yanick also volunteered to take my mom out in a two seater kayak (she was not able to row) so that she could share the experience.
Life on the island is very tranquil. There are hammocks and beach chairs throughout the property. If you are looking for a party/nightlife then you will need to take a trip to the mainland (as i mentioned before, trips can be arranged in advance). During our stay, we noticed a lot of young couples staying on the island.
3 meals are served a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during designated times. The food is excellent. We tried almost everything on the menu during our 6 day stay. If you are looking for a snack outside of the normal dining hours, you have limited options (chips, nuts, candy & fruit) - but the staff will try to accommodate you as much as possible. We thought we would want to snack between meals but we found out it was not necessary. The bar is always open to offer non-alcoholic (fresh fruit juice/smoothies) and alcoholic beverages.
The room was comfortable and was equiped with a televison (for viewing DVDs only), A/C, ceiling fan, desk, couch, and in-room safe. The main office offers DVDs, reading books, games for guest use.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A private island on the edge of the Silk Marine Reserve, seventeen miles east of Placencia, Hatchet is on the longest reef in North America. Laugh, love, play, explore, relax, rejuvenate, and dine in the island lifestyle you want. with a mile of private shoreline and word class diving and fishing only minutes away. With a pirates past, a hideaway present, and an environmental future, Hatchet offers unspoiled environment for your unforgettable tropical island experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hatchet Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hatchet Caye Hotel Placencia
- Hatchet Caye Resort Belize/Placencia