Twenty miles off shore from Placencia, Hatchet Caye is peaceful and exclusive. As such, plan your activities ahead of time, ie, side trips or a massage.
The atmosphere and staff are laid back which are perfect if you want downtime, or to dive, snorkel, and fish. Lots of water toys to help you navigate around the caye (I was told was 7acres). The nightlife is...well, what you make of it.
My daughter and I enjoyed 3 nights on the island and although it was booked to capacity (18 guests), we felt marooned. Imagine this place with a group of your friends and family, how fun would that be?!?
The restaurant strives to present a well-balanced and savory menu. It's garlicky but I happen to like garlic. It helps to have dinner specials that change it up a bit. I can't imagine staying here more than 3 nights with the same food selection. Morris and Jose are stellar!
Our room #4 was well appointed, comfortable and spacious. It could get tight if you had more than 2 adults. We appreciated the kind reminders to conserve water and power, but we did not feel deprived at all. Wifi was available at no charge, albeit slow at times. Another good reminder to take it easy.
Although the staff averaged 4 months tenure, they were seasoned and very accommodating of our requests. William, our boat captain, made our rough passage tolerable. Our snorkel guide, Janik, who couldn't wait to get wet on a hot day, came to life before our eyes, pointed put marine life and gave us the confidence to swim around the island.
The other reviews regarding tighter communications have merit. Not quite 5 stars for me but well on its way; I would consider returning with a group of my own and a firmer itinerary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A private island on the edge of the Silk Marine Reserve, seventeen miles east of Placencia, Hatchet is on the longest reef in North America. Laugh, love, play, explore, relax, rejuvenate, and dine in the island lifestyle you want. with a mile of private shoreline and word class diving and fishing only minutes away. With a pirates past, a hideaway present, and an environmental future, Hatchet offers unspoiled environment for your unforgettable tropical island experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Hatchet Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hatchet Caye Hotel Placencia
- Hatchet Caye Resort Belize/Placencia