“Another wonderful Coppola resort”
Review of Turtle Inn

Turtle Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Austin, Texas
“Another wonderful Coppola resort”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

After spending 5 days at Blancaneaux Lodge we took the 2 hour drive and 1/2 hour boat ride over to Turtle Inn.

As in Blancaneaux the grounds, service, staff, and food were excellent. But as in our other reviews some items to know about Turtle Inn.

There is not a lot to do at Turtle Inn if you don't scuba dive, which I did and it was great. By far this would have be the best "diving" resort you could possible stay out, but for those that don't dive it is a place to relax and find yourself.

The beach is okay but is not a place to lay out at or the water to swim in.

The town down the road is typical of Belize in that it is very depressed and makes you feel guilty that what you are paying for one night at Turtle Inn is what most people probably make the entire year.

We went on the Monkey River Wildlife tour and our guide was wonderful finding the one howler monkey in a very mosquito ridden foilage and also point out the small crocodile. We only saw the heads of the mantatees from a distance or the small pools of water they made as the went back under water. Not if you have back or neck issues this is very bumping going across the bay to the start of the river.

The place to see the wildlife is at the dock as there was a massive crocodile that liked to stay around this area and saw it on several occassions.

Definitely eat at the Gauguin Grill as it was a treat.

The villa we had was definitely a highlight and the bathtub and outdoor shower a big hit as well.

Again another wonderful Coppola resort. And if you liked this you need to check out Lapa Rios in Costa Rica that is even a step above for activities and wildlife.

Room Tip: The villas are great.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Masci_JM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I was wondering if I should write a review or not!!! It was such a fantastic experience that I was afraid not to have the family Pavilion free for me!!! Wonderful hotel, Great STAFF Great Food!!
Easy to get there from Miami. Everything was a dream!!!! Sniff I just want to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank fati R
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated the talented efforts Chef Edwin at Turtle Inn during our August stay in Belize. They made us gluten-free breads and pizza crusts from prepared mixes and cooked gluten-free pasta that we packed in our suitcases. Chef Edwin even prepared homemade gluten-free gnocci as a surprise!

All our meals were delicious, and I truly appreciate all the extra effort your staff gave to ensure a delicious, healthy, fun vacation for my boys, my husband and me.

It was a lovely stay. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Cimiatch
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I have just returned from a four night stay at Turle Inn it was just fabulous. I was not sure what to expect having never been to that part of the country and I fell in love. Upon arrival Terryann sat with me and explained the property and all the different amenities the hotel had to offer and fun things I could do while I was there. She booked me on a snorkel tour that took us to a small very remote little island where we swam with big turtles, sting rays and nurse sharks and assorted sea creatures. The hotel even had a picnic lunch set up with proper china!! They have three different restaurants to choose from and I have to say my favorite was Auntie Luba's kitchen for yummy curry. It was across the street from the resort and had a cool funky vibe. The service at the hotel is so warm and friendly. Having been to hotels all over the staff here really goes out ofmtheir way to make you feel welcome. Don't miss an afternoon happy hour with Charlie who will make you the most delicious coconut mojito in a coconut picked from one of the trees right there beachside. The structure of all the huts I found just fascinating and they provide all the luxuries you would expect. From the outside they appear one way but once you step inside everything is about comfort. Even the bathrooms had all the comforts of home and then some. There is an ihome but no tv. Don't need it, you have the sea view as your screen. The very charming GM Martin explained the process in which the roofs are made. I will not spoil that story for you I will leave that up to him, plus he can explain it much better. Even the rain one afternoon did not damper my stay at all. So thank you to Martin and all the staff there younhave abuge fan and I shall return.

• Stayed September 2011
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We came here for lunch on our last day of our stay in Belize, and were not disappointed. As it was off-season, they were happy to let us use their pools and facilities. We had lunch at the Tiki Beach Bar overlooking the sea... REALLY good food, Coppola wines... what more do you need? My husband had bucatini a la matriciana, I had smoked fish with a mediterranean salad, our 8 year old had sliders... and the service was friendly and attentive. A bit ricey, but recommend highly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
ROckville, MD
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was a dream vacation. We ended up upgrading to the "beach house" at the edge of the property. It was a 3 home compound with its own private pool -- we only ended up using one house for the 5 of us in our family - -but wished we could have invited friends/family to join us in the other homes -- as it was truly paradise. The entire house opened up to the oceanfront -- we slept with the sounds of the ocean in our ears and the breeze coming in from outside. There was a full kitchen in the house and butler service available, but we did not use it. Our kids absolutely loved having their own pool and beach area to hang out in -- though we did spend a bit of time at the resort's other pool and in the restaurants, etc. The staff was extremely helpful and kind -- and we felt like celebrities vacationing in this truly idyllic spot. We would go back in a heartbeat -- and hope that Francis Ford Coppolla will develop more resort properties for us to visit -- (we also went to the Blancaneaux Lodge in Belize -- which was equally lovely!)
THANK YOU!

Room Tip: The villas on the oceanfront get more of a breeze - which helps when visiting during an especially w...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Turtle Inn was highly recommended to me by a very good travel friend of mine. I went w/a close family friend of mine and as soon as we got on to the property, we could not stop saying, "Oh my God." There was so much attention to details. We loved that the resort is incredibly beautiful, elegant, magical, romantic and eco-friendly all at the same time. We also made immediate friends with many other guests as well as the staff.

There is not a bad view and all the rooms are stunning. You must take advantage of the outdoor shower. The furniture and decor of each cabana is nothing like you have experienced.

What is also fabulous is there is a little bit something for everyone! First of all, fabulous food, great wine, full bar with delicious drinks- I dare you not to fall in love w/the coconut mojitio (or as my new Turtle Inn friends & I call it... coco mojo-jito!) or the hibiscus drinks! We loved watching the bartenders get fresh coconuts or flowers right from the property for our drinks! Great happy hour from 4-6pm! Obviously, we loved our cabana- we stayed in a garden view- stunning, & our friends had fabulous ocean view cabanas, which also is amazing! Honestly, I do not understand how people who are at a beautiful resort with gorgeous views can find it negative to not have a tv or ac. So strange. My family & friends do not travel to tropical locations for tv, or any locations for tv. Remember, this is a tropical place that is getting approved for being green and eco-friendly... a/c is not necessary here! To get back to, there is something for everyone, whether you want a quiet oasis, romantic (or as my friends & I like to refer to it as... romantical!) to fun, adventurous, outdoorsy, Turtle Inn has it all. My friend & I became close friends w/variety of different groups at this amazing resort- from honey mooners, families celebrating college graduation, gay couples, and to another couple traveling as friends. (fyi, I can also see families coming here too. trying to get my family with my toddler niece and baby nephew to come for Thanksgiving holiday!) Honestly, the people I met we all came for different reasons and we all had so much fun doing whatever we wanted. Turtle Inn has many different and reasonable excursions- snorkeling, going on Monkey River to see the jungle and different animals, checking out the Mayan ruins, sunset boat rides, and so on. We were fortunate enough to make friends that we were able to venture into the forest/jungle for a picnic and do some tubing- something that the full time residents in Placencia enjoy.

The general manager Martin Krediet is phenomenal. He is professional, kind, fun, charming and knowledgeable. Martin was so wonderful to my friend and me who had issues with getting back to the northeast part of the states due to Irene. His staff and him were able to arrange additional accommodations and help change our travel, because we were unable to return on our original travel date. Martin goes above and beyond his role as GM. I would think that Francis Ford Coppola would be very honored to have someone as amazing as Martin Krediet to represent Coppola resorts. Coppola should also be thrilled that Martin's staff respects him as their GM and seem very happy with the way Martin runs the resort and treats the employees. It was evident to us that the staff are happy and love their job which is why we all experienced such great service. They way to achieve that is to have a GM as fabulous as Martin Krediet.

Thank you Martin and the staff at Turtle Inn! We cannot wait to return to Turtle Inn in Placencia! This was by far one of the best trips I have ever gone on & mind you, I have traveled all over the world- Africa, Seychelles, St. Barth's, Europe & even yachting in Europe & the Caribbean.

xoxo, jinxi (aka Jodi!)

Room Tip: all the rooms are great!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends