“A Little Slice of Heaven”

Robert's Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A Little Slice of Heaven”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Clueless about where I was headed was an understatement. Belize, where is that, what is there to do, do they speak English? S o many questions! Hubby wants to fish, a friend wants to visit some investments, who cares let's go! I was sick of cold weather in Colorado and everyone that I talked to said, "you will love it"!

Love it I did! The minute we arrived at Robert's Grove they put a fresh, cold drink in our hand and said, "welcome to Robert's Grove" in English! From there we were personally escorted to our villa. They opened our door, showed us around and explained the "lay of the land". It was dark but I could tell the view was amazing and we were 30 feet from the beach; someone please get me another drink, I am on vacation in heaven!

I have to say, one of my favorite things was the green decorative lights. They were wrapped around trees, used as accent lighting, and to light pathways and stairs. So unexpected, so different than the usual white and they just made me smile!

The other thing that made me smile was the staff. They were always willing to help, they were friendly and outgoing, and never left you wanting for a glass to be filled or an extra this or that. One morning my husband and I were sitting outside on the beach looking up at the coconuts in the trees wondering how they knew when they were ripe and how on earth they cut them open. I decided to ask the housekeeping staff and within minutes a young man was there with a coconut explaining it all to us and cutting it open right in front of us. It was such an unexpected treat!

From the free continental breakfast, to the wonderful candlelight dinners the food was fresh and tasty. The buffet on Saturday night was fun and filling complete with live music and roasted pig...the entire pig! (not so sure I was totally ready to see that).

Consider me clueless no more! I know exactly where Belize is, I know exactly where Robert's Grove is, and I know exactly where to find a little slice of heaven!

Linda Tomky
Colorado

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Allendale, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at Robert's Grove in January with my husband and college age daughter. We had spent the previous 6 nights at resorts in the jungles of Belize and Guatemala and we were really looking forward to the Caribbean leg of the vacation. The setting is beautiful, the buildings are very attractive, the pools, the restaurant and very pretty. Our rooms were large and attractively decorated. I liked the large tiled bathroom. The big problem was that my daughter was forced to sleep on the futon, which didn't have a board and was VERY uncomfortable. The beach was very dirty, although much cleaner than neighboring properties (not just seaweed, lots of litter). The water was great and we enjoyed swimming and even snorkeling a little right off the beach. We also enjoyed swimming in all three pools, but had been looking forward to the hot tubs and were very disappointed that all 7 of them were out of order. It was nice to have the use of the kayaks, sailboats, etc., but sometimes we needed more assistance and explanation than we were getting from the very laid-back staff. The food was ok. We don't like Mexican, so we didn't go to Habeneros. The continental breakfast was good, but the yogurt was just out on a platter and got warm pretty quickly. We stayed Sunday through Wednesday, so missed the Saturday buffet. The restaurant selections were limited. I had fish more than once and it was a little over cooked every time. In hindsight, maybe we should have taken a taxi to Placencia for dinner one or more nights.My daughter and husband went on the Monkey River tour. They said it was a (very fast) boat ride combined with hiking. They reported that the guide was not very informative, seemed to like to drive the boat very fast to scare the passengers, and walked too fast for some in the group to keep up easily. This contrasted very unfavorably with the many similar tours we had been on in the preceding days.
The room and restaurant were very clean. Service generally was not very good. Generally, they didn't seem to care to be helpful. We also noticed that a lot of people were "new" or "training" and didn't know what to do or how to do it. The exception was in the restaurant where everyone was friendly and helpful, even the trainee.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Annemfg
Washington DC
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My college-age daughter and I stayed at Robert's Grove in mid-January (after the holiday rush) and had a fabulous visit. We had a huge room with a large bathroom and a wonderful balcony with hammock overlooking a pool and the ocean. We immediately turned off the A/C and the fans were enough to keep us comfortable during the day and allowed us to keep the balcony doors open all night to hear the sound of the waves. The staff was fabulous and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and cared for at every opportunity. The woman who runs the Sea Spa was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the hot stone massage. The dinner at the restaurant was good and the setting superb, but expensive and too much food for us every night. We enjoyed dinner at Habaneros and the walk there at night through the neon cactus is unique! We also really enjoyed going into Placencia, which is a charming village with good restaurants (we ate at DaTatch) and the best gellato in Central America at Tutti Fruti. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful with fresh-baked bread & pastries. We enjoyed kayaking in the ocean. We took a day snorkeling trip which was wonderful, although the water was a bit rough and the 2-hour trip to the reef was too long. The snorkeling was great and the calm, multi-colored blue/aqua water around the reef island was amazing!! Only complaints -- as a result of rough seas earlier in the week, the beach was full of seaweed & junk that had washed up and none of the hot tubs were working.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank F G
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 February 2012

This was the second time we have stayed at Roberts Grove. The first time was about 5 years ago and then just recently in January 2012. It is under new ownership and we noticed immediately several upgrades to the property...a nice patio with an outdoor fireplace, improvements to the grounds, painting the buildings and some nice additions to the Mexican Restaurant, Habeneros, on the lagoon side with a huge new marina and soon to come will be many new homes/condos. The staff, management and new owner are very friendly and helpful, going out of their way to accommodate our requests. The rooms are very comfortable and well-appointed and most have a deck or balcony with comfortable chairs. The three pools are clean and well-kept. I think it was the time of the year when lots of sea weeds wash up on their beach, but it was not really inviting as it was hard to keep the shoreline clear of the sea weeds. However, once you get past that, the water was warm and lovely and there are lots of toys available to guests--sail boats, paddle boats, etc. at no charge. We enjoyed the Saturday night buffet with everything from lobster tails to shrimp and chicken. The rest of the food is uneven. We had some great breakfasts and then some excellent food at Haberneros, but some of the sea food could have been better. On the plus side, the bar has an outstanding wine cellar and wide variety of very good wines. I am confident that the new ownership will tackle the upgrade of all the food soon.

Room Tip: As for one of the rooms nearer to the main restaurant and the new patio...lots of action around ther...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Schleuder
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We book one of the suites for our honeymoon in July 2011. Room was clean and adequate but nothing special. if I was going to write this on that alone I would say average/good. The food was Terrible. I mean it was relatively expensive and the seafood taste like it was shipped from across the world. So fishy and dry and black crab leg meat. Real turn off. We went out to eat every night and rode the complimentary bikes to make the best of the trip. Good place for a family trip if they clean there act up (lots of construction and brand new owners at this time). I hope they turn the place around because it definitely has potential.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony C
Vancouver
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My wife and I spent the holiday season this year with the staff and management of the Robert's Grove Resort. We have been going to Placencia, Belize for the past five years during the holiday season but this is the first time we have stayed at this resort and are we glad we did. Under the new owners and management team this trip was especially enjoyable. There eye to detail when it came to the meals at either of their two resturaunts was something to enjoy. The staffs professionalism in meeting every request we had, even though they were extremely busy, made us feel so special. Francisco Linarez ( RG Dive Manager) took me on as his client and through his professional tutillage I obtained my dive certification and now long for our return trip so I can pursue further training. My wife chose to take advantage of the onsite massage theropies and was thoroughly pleased with the services and pricing.

New Years Eve was something to remember with how the staff and management put on the most outstanding buffet after which we were entertained by a steel drum band. There was a whole lot of shaking going on when those young people got the music flowing. The buffet had even a whole pig roasted which by the way was photographed from every angle prior to being carved.

I must say that with the experience that we had at the Robert's Grove Resort over the three weeks we are already contemplating our return to this lovely resort in the very near future. Robert's Grove Resort is the total package compared to any other resort that we have stayed at on the pennisula.

Thank you Jean-Mark, Michael, Pierre, Francisco and all the staff for making our trip so memorable.

Earl & Gloria 23/12/2011 to 14/01/2012

Room Tip: We stayed in at least five different rooms due to late booking but found all to be of the same high...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NOMconsulting
Twin Falls, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My friends and I were at Robert's Grove for a week. The staff was very friendly and courteous and the food was awesome. The menu changed daily giving us a nice variety of daily cuisine. The resort has a great turn down service at night with nightly chocolates, a nice addition to an already relaxing and accomodating place! The tours were also very easy to book. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
#7 of 19 in Placencia
Naia Resort and Spa
Naia Resort and Spa
#5 of 19 in Placencia

Been to Robert's Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!