...We went to Robert's Grove in Placencia, Belize for our Honeymoon and enjoyed every single moment - it was just perfect! From the moment we arrived and were greeted at reception by Jenny who made us feel at home immediately, and a welcome cocktail drink - to the time we sadly packed our bags and headed back to the airport.
It's a long way from the UK - you can't fly directly, so we broke our journey with a couple of nights in Miami on the way over - but the journey is great fun and definately worth it : taking a tiny 6-seater plane from Belize International down the Placencia Peninsula and finally arriving at a little piece of paradise, Robert's Grove.The hotel is situated towards the end of the peninsula, with the beach and the main part of the hotel on one side of the road, and a marina and restaurant on the other. The rooms are beautiful, kept very clean and tidy daily with fresh flowers left in the bathroom and on the table every day, and mini-chocolates with the turn-down service.
The hotel staff are brilliant, very friendly but not over-the-top, always happy to help or to chat, and to recommend local restaurants or places to visit. Edwin is the best hotel barman we have met, fab cocktails and always great service - Jenny was brilliant at reception, always happy to help - and always smiling!
We had 5 nights relaxing at Robert's Grove - eating mainly at the hotel restaurant where the food was excellent, but also sampling the Mexican buffet at the marina, and the restaurant at the Singing Sands (the Sister hotel which is about ten minutes in a taxi, which reception will organise for you). The food is great - continental breakfast was included which we thought we may have to supplement, being fans of the traditional cooked breakfast but we actually had the continental one every day and it was more than enough - a selection of fresh fruit, freshly baked breads and pastries from the hotel's own bakery, yoghurts, fresh coffee and juice - all whilst sitting practically on the beach watching the pelicans dive into the sea for their own breakfast. During the day you can eat at the restaurant or order at the bar - from a full lunch, to tasty snacks and dinner was always really good - great food and excellent service.
There's plenty of sunbathing spots to choose from - from the long stretch of white sand along the front, one of three pools, a hammock under the trees, a palm-covered shady spot on the roof of the hotel to your own balcony or terrace at the front of your room.
We asked the hotel about visiting the Mayan Ruins at Xunantunich and they organised a personal trip for us...We spent a great day with Juan, and although it's quite a long drive from Placencia it's really worth it as you get to see so much of the country on the way, and the ruins
themselves are really impressive too. Juan was a great guide and really looked after us well, laughing as the guides at the ruins got ready for Prince Harry's visit the following day, sweeping up all the leaves! We also made the most of the Spa facilities at the hotel and enjoyed a Couple's Massage - listening to the sea in the background.
The hotel had bikes available which we used to cycle into Placencia Village and explore a little futher along the peninsula, and we sampled some great cocktails in Placencia whilst sheltering from a cloudburst, and then had dinner at Rumfish y Vino which is another popular
recommendation. The food at Rumfish was great but we found the service lacking - there was another large group in which took up the attention of the staff and the manager alike and it was hard to get their attention - we would recommend booking a table if you're going to go as it
gets really busy.
After 5 nights at the hotel we were taken by boat to Ranguana Caye - one of the hotel's two private islands. About 20 miles offshore, this beautiful two-acre island really was our little piece of paradise for 2 nights... We stayed in a rustic wooden cabana, right on the edge of
the water, up on stilts looking out over the ocean. We were really well looked after by Phil who manages the island and did all the cooking (and his gorgeous dog Taz!), and Elodio, one of the hotel waiters who came over especially to be our barman. Both the guys were amazing,
always around if we needed anything but left us to it so it really did feel like our very own island. We were surprised how well equipped this little sandbar in the middle of the ocean actually was, especially when the phone rang at breakfast time! The food was gorgeous, freshly bbq'd meat, salads, fruit, and the biggest fish we'd ever seen - which Phil caught spear-fishing in the afternoon and then served up for dinner that night... food on a dessert island which definately rivalled that at the hotel... beautiful. We also snorkelled at the island - very calm seas made this really easy for me as I'm not very confident in the water, but I wouldn't have missed this for the world.
The weather changed on our last night at the island, so the boat ride home the next day was a little bit bumpy but we were well looked after by our captain Bruce and we made it back to Robert's Grove very wet, but in one piece, to enjoy another couple of nights at the hotel before
coming home... our travel agent had originally planned for us to come straight home from Ranguana but we would recommend at least another night at the hotel first, otherwise it would've been a real rush and possibly spoilt the end of our holiday.
As it was, we spent our remaining days soaking up as much sun as possible and enjoying relaxing at the hotel - the perfect end to a perfect holiday. Thank you so much to all the staff at Robert's Grove for making us feel so welcome - but especially Jenny, Edwin, Elodio, Juan,
Bruce, Phil - and last but not least, Taz! We had the most amazing Honeymoon, and hope to come back another day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located along the Caribbean coast of the Placencia Peninsula in southern Belize, the award-winning Robert's Grove Beach Resort, is a comfortable, beautifully appointed property set amidst 22 acres of tropical, art-filled gardens and sandy beach that offers easy access to all of Belize's top attractions: The largest Barrier Reef in the Western Hemisphere, lush Rainforest and Maya Ruins. Robert's Grove Beach Resort features 52 air-conditioned beachfront Classic Vista one bedroom rooms, one, two and three bedroom villas, with all the conveniences one would expect from a finer Beach Resort. There are three private beachfront pools and a host of complimentary activities and amenities that include free wireless internet, tennis court, fitness room, bicycles, pedal boats, kayaks, windsurfers and Hobie Cats. The resort offers three distinct and delicious dining venues: The Seaside Restaurant, with its accompanying bar and lounge, overlooking the beach and sea and serves an international menu along with local specialties. Room Service is available from the Seaside Restaurant. Habanero Mexican Cafe & Bar, offering a full range of Mexican dishes, overlooking the Placencia Lagoon at the Robert's Grove Marina and Sweet Mama's Restaurant a delight in Belizean home cooking and a unique outdoor setting. The food and beverage team at Robert's Grove Beach Resort also arranges special evenings and cultural programs on a weekly basis, including its famous Saturday Night Poolside BBQ Buffet with local music and dancing as well as Habanero's Tuesday night Mexican Buffet and Sunday Paella special. Romantic dinners atop the resort's thatched rooftop gazebos, private room terraces and thatched palapa at the end of its 225 foot pier offer additional dining pleasures. The Resort's spacious grounds, professional food and beverage capability and fully equipped conference room have made it an especially popular setting for large destination weddings, celebrations and business events. The Resort's Water Activity Center features the most diverse water sport activities in southern Belize: At the Resort's 5-Star PADI Dive Center a highly skilled team of dive instructors and dive masters are on standby for instruction as well as daily trips to the many exciting dive locations in our area. Snorkeling, Fishing and island hopping are available from our luxurious charter boats. We also offer overnight stays at our two privately owned islands. The Resort also operates a wide range of tours and excursions to the rainforest and Maya ruins, including Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve and Monkey River.And after a full day exploring the wonders of Belize's magnificent barrier reef and its tropical rainforest, Robert's Grove offers its guests the opportunity to pamper themselves at the resort's well-appointed "Sea Spa" where skilled therapists provide a wide assortment of massages and spa treatments in indoor and outdoor treatment rooms, using the jungle's best natural herbs and oils. Robert's Grove Beach Resort has long proven its commitment to high standards - both in guest services and its regard for nature and the environment. Known for its natural beauty and quiet conforts, it is the perfect destination from which to enjoy the best of Belize and the beautiful Belizean people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Robert's Grove Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Robert`s Grove Beach Hotel Placencia
- Hotel At Roberts Grove
- At Roberts Grove Placencia
- Robert's Grove Beach Resort Belize/Placencia