“I liked it!”

Robert's Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed here from May 19, 2013 to May 30, 2012. We were upgraded upon check-in to a one bedroom villa. It was the farthest room on the property in Building I. It was very comfortable, quiet and clean. We had a big porch just 6 feet from the sand and 30 feet from the ocean. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. It was not extremely busy when we were there so I can't say if at busier times if the staff would be as good. The front desk Ladies were all awesome and helped us many times with our questions and booking our excursions.

We had the free breakfast included in our room. It was more than enough for us as divers to eat before heading out for a full day on the boat and in the water. It included fruit (2 kinds), toast, baked goods made by Mathieu’s (the deli by Habaneros), yogurt, coffee, tea, juice. If you want to add eggs or something at a cost you can. We ate at The Robert's Grove restaurant for dinner once, the food was good but very over priced for the quality and the quantity. We preferred Sweet Mama's (low Belize price) and Habaneros (moderate price lower than Robert's Grove) when we stayed around the resort.

We ate in town at Wendys (really good for lunch and lighter dinner), Secret Garden (really good- great dinners), Rumfish y vino (really great dinner), then top it off with something from Tutti-Frutti (awesome homemade ice cream). The Above grounds coffee house is a great place to stop in and get an iced coffee on a hot afternoon.

The 3 pools were kept clean every day. If they cleaned them in the morning the breeze would blow stuff in and by afternoon they looked bad but they did clean them every day. They did rake the beach every morning however being on the windward side the beach surf was pretty high everyday we were there and the seaweed just kept coming in.

Security was very visible and I felt comfortable enough to leave my Ipad out charging in the room when we were gone. They do have in room safes.

We did go there to reef dive and whale shark dive. We did not use the onsite dive shop, they had a lot of bad reviews for safety and attention, but we did not hear any real complaints from the other guests while we were there. We did our diving with Seahorse in Placencia, it was awesome we saw 5 whale sharks in 4 dives.

The taxi ride into town (one way) was $10 US from Robert's Grove $20 US if you stay even 2 miles further up the road like Maya beach.

They keep lotion, shampoo, conditioner and a hair dryer in the bathroom. I like to know this for suitcase weight due to the fact we are divers and bring a lot of gear so every ounce can make a difference for us.

We like to walk the beach to town in other places so my biggest disappointment was the fact that when we walked to Seine Bight less than a mile down the beach it was like a garbage dump right on the ocean. Apparently the local people don't feel compelled to keep the beautiful ocean front beautiful. Seine Bight is just a small town with a few stores and would benefit more if the tourist had a nice beach to walk up to town. I know we would have went into Seine Bight everyday.

We did go on the Monkey River tour - if you have all ready seen howler monkeys and have taken a boat through the mangroves I would not recommend this tour. I heard other guests saying the tube caving was fun, we wished we would have done that.

I did like staying at Robert's Grove and I would recommend it for most anyone.

I would definitely go back to Placencia but I might try staying in town the next time.

Room Tip: If you like quiet the one bedroom villa in bldg. I was very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jdickerh
There are newer reviews for Robert's Grove Beach Resort

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for three nights,the resort is very beautiful,lots of trees and flowers. Only problem for us,was the fact that it was about 5-6miles from town,so a taxi or golf cart was necessary to get to town.Other downside was the room,we had a one bedroom,which was so small,you could hardly turn around in it,not only that,but was very dated and badly in need of remodeling.One thing was great,that was the ocean view from our back porch.One staff member was very nice to us. Thanks miss Floret Valerio for showing us some true Belizean manners.Hope to see you again on my next trip.People at the dive shop was also very nice,and the snorkeling was fantastic.

Room Tip: Read all the reviews,and ask a lot of questions ,especially about the size of the room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We spent the first week of June a Robert's Grove. My husband and I both fell in love with this place! It is right on the beach. We stayed in a one-bedroom villa and I can't even explain the view from our private patio. There were coconut trees, white sand, the color of the water changed every single time I looked at it, depending on how the sun/clouds were at the moment. We had a hammock, a table & chairs, and two nice big comfy sitting chairs perfect for morning coffee and reading!

There are lots of beach toys to play with and ride in the water. There's plenty of lounge chairs, so no need to worry about racing down in the morning to save a spot for the day. We also borrowed bikes to ride into town each day. You just swing by the check-in desk and tell them you want a bike and by the time you get to the storage shed someone is greeting you to give you a bike.

The room was cleaned every day and housekeeping came by every single night to check on us to see if we needed fresh towels or shampoo and delivered little chocolates.

We ate in the Seaside dining area every morning for breakfast. The continental breakfast they put out each day is lovely. There was always tons of pineapple and melon. You can make your own toast. The coffee is pretty good. We usually ordered a couple of scrambled eggs also.

Sweet Mama's is delicious and VERY reasonably priced. We ate there several times and the meal I'm remembering was the BBQ chicken, rice & beans with coleslaw for 5 bucks!!!! The staff moves at what I call "island pace" but the food is amazing, inexpensive and it is really a fun place to sit and hang out. Oh, here is the best part, they actually peel and cut REAL potatoes to make their French fries. Nothing can compare to real French fries!

We only booked one excursion through the hotel. We took the snorkeling trip. It was a wonderful experience and I'm glad I did it. Beware though, the thing I didn't totally understand was that the boat drops you off and goes off to take the divers to deeper water. I was under the impression that we would be closer to the island... and it made me anxious to know that we were a considerable distance from the island and the boat! Please know I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking the dive/snorkel trip, just know the deal :) and WEAR THE LIFE float! This is an option as your jumping off the back of the boat and it shouldn't be! You are out there with two instructors and several people, be smart and wear the float!

We only had a few minor issues come up while we were there, the first one being I had requested a 2nd floor room and they assigned us to a 1st floor room, they moved us immediately. The other issue is our refrigerator didn't work, and finally the 2nd day when they hadn't come to check it, I moved it around and discovered it was unplugged, so I plugged it in, but it wasn't until the end of the 2nd day that anyone came to fix it. Lastly, on the "con" side is the fact that security allowed the locals to come onto the grounds and sell jewelry and souvenir type stuff. I also had this happen at a restaurant in town and it is a big turn off for me. I'm paying a lot of money to be a guest at this wonderful resort and I don't want the intrusion of being bothered to buy something. I wouldn't mind if they "set up" somewhere on the beach, but they should not be allowed to approach the guests.

Overall, I highly recommend this resort if you are heading to Placencia! We hope to return for another visit one day!

Room Tip: I prefer staying on the 2nd floor, I feel the rooms are more private.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Roberts Grove is such a beautiful place in a great location. At night the beachfront restaurant has a very romantic feel and they even prepare some of your dishes at the table for that added touch. The staff are all very friendly and I was sad to leave.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Robert's Grover is a beautiful resort - spacious and very well maintained. The staff clearly take pride in the resort to keep it this lovely.

The pros:
- We received a complimentary upgrade to a villa upon checkin which placed us just steps from the ocean. It was an amazing view.

- The villa had a kitchen table workspace for computers (very good wifi most days), tv room with sofa/chairs, kitchen with mini fridge/sink/stovetop/utensils/cooking basics, etc.

- The welcome drink and luggage escort to the room was a nice touch. Throughout the stay, we were very impressed with housekeeping - the gals were kind and personable. They really made the stay special with their friendly visits, evening towel service, and little chocolates.

- Bathroom toiletries were spa style - very nice - and it was great to have bathrobes and plush towels. The bed was comfortable and the air conditioners/fans throughout made the hot/humid weather tolerable.

- The pool chairs were great. I had a pedicure in the spa which was very reasonably priced. The spa staff were friendly, talkative and fun to spend time with.

- There is a Garifuna village nearby where you can visit a local market. The Tropic Air airstrip is about a 30 minute walk away but it's somewhat desolate so I was a little concerned when walking alone. The bus does drive the main road but it's not predictable so don't plan on it.

- I took a kayak out once while the waters were calm enough and it was great. The equipment was in good condition and they had safety items like lifejackets for anyone who might need it. We used the gym several times and while small and outdated, it was plenty sufficient. Bring your own water though - the dispenser was empty when we arrived.

The cons:
- I killed a total of 5 scorpions in the villa (4 small ones in the kitchen area and 1 very large one in my shoe by the entry door). After calling reception to please spray twice, they eventually left me a can of spray to handle them myself. I'm very glad they did or I probably would have had a stroke when I found the huge one in my shoe.

- Taxis are a bit pricey to go to Placencia Village but it was too hot to take bicycles when we were there.

- Food menu items are somewhat pricey but that is expected at a resort. I had a lemonade and conch ceviche and they were prepared/presented well. I did pay for them at the time of order (as opposed to putting them on my room) and you need to watch for this to be sure you are not charged again at checkout.

- Continental breakfast was provided free of charge in the mornings but upon checkout, reception argued with me that I owed them for a custom breakfast which I knew I never had. They apparently do not have guests show their room key when ordering meals so it's on the honor system. Someone gave my room number for their order so it was charged to me and it was hard to get them to remove this charge at checkout. You need to watch your bill closely. The lunch I paid at time of order was also charged again to my bill and that needed to be removed so be sure you view the details.

All in all, it was a great stay at RG. I honestly probably would have rated it five stars had we not been plagued with the scorpions. It is understandable with so much jungle that these critters are around, but I would have expected better pest control to prevent them in a high-end resort like this. There are lizards everywhere on the premise but they must not eat scorpions. I'm guessing that the extreme heat, high humidity and rains probably brought the scorpions up from the ground below the deck of the villa, but I am not sure. That may just be the price of staying in a ground floor villa that close to the ocean and on the edge of their property line.

Room Tip: Choose a room without scorpions? Or at least keep an eye out, especially in the villas!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was my fourth trip to Belize. I have been at a few hotels and resorts in Belize some very impressive and some average. I have to say that anybody visiting Belize on vacation or Business, Robert's Grove is a must visit at least for one night. The service from the time you arrive to the time your check out is the best in the country. I was very impressed by the front desk staff Andria and Jennilee. The welcome and attention made me feel at home. The rooms are clean, spacious and very comfortable. the food is fabulous. Location is spectacular. This is Belize I have been reading about!

Room Tip: Get a room walking out to the beach, Listen to the waves all night
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

It is hard to write a review about this place because it was better than what I saw in accommodations around us but not nearly as good as the place where we had just come from or other places we have been.
We have arrived after the check in time but had to wait 45 minutes to get into our room. Then the front desk person (who never apologized or explained anything) led us to our room in a group with others she dropped off along the way and gave us the most flatly delivered explanation of what we had paid for and what we could still purchase. The room was still being cleaned when we got into it and the floors were still dirty and gritty- walking barefoot made your feet grey and there were crumbs on the night stand table. Having come from a resort with amazing staff we were already feeling a bit disappointed. Throughout our stay it was hard to get staff attention when something was needed and the women at the front desk were pleasant enough but made it seem as if they were working a job that had specific parameters. If what you wanted was outside that (asking if a snorkeling trip was still on despite bad weather, asking after laundry that hadn't been delivered in the time frame promised) they acted like it was a hassle to pick up the phone and find out. When we had our clothes laundered and returned the following day the housekeeping woman made the excuse that when she came to deliver it we had a Privacy Please sign on the door (we were taking a nap). I said- Did no one think to leave it at the front desk or communicate that we could pick it up somewhere at a certain time since we asked the front desk about it three times and the front desk told us it wasn't ready yet? The front desk lady replied that none of the housekeepers are "capable of thinking that far in advance". I was dumbfounded. No apology, no smile and a promise better next time- just passing the buck and the blame. That pretty much sums up our experience with most of the staff. Another time I stood at the front desk to book a trip and waited while the woman complained in creole to the other person on the phone that someone had shown up or left drunk. Totally inappropriate to be discussing in front of a guest and poor representation of service to make a guest wait while a staff member complains on the phone. She didn't turn away or smile and hold up her finger to let me know she would be right with me. She just blabbed on about how unprofessional this other person was- I wanted to point out how ironic that was but figured the point would be probably be lost.
There was one exception- one woman on the wait staff was extra helpful and the man who helped guests go out on the Hobie Cats and surf boards, etc was super helpful and all smiles. He was fantastic! Their separate staff for the dive shop was very nice as well.
The views are fantastic- our room view was AMAZING. The atmosphere in the dining area is also fantastic but the tables were often littered with rice from the night before and the attention to detail was pretty mediocre. They do clean up the beach nicely but that's about it. Much nicer than what is in the rest of Placencia from what we could tell but far from the resort we were looking for. One of the housekeepers piled all of the pillows on the dirty floor (pre sweep) while she made the bed and the front desk didn't have our bill ready when we went to check out. We stood around waiting as usual. We would not return to this resort. Their marketing is incredible and they were filming the whole time we were there for more internet videos but if they spent that money training the staff and fixing the little details around the hotel that would make it look stellar and not so run down then I think they could more easily count themselves among the top resorts in Belize. Right now they are still average.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with an ocean view. Classic vista rooms and rooms near the infiniti pool a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
#7 of 20 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Robert's Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!