“Paradise in Placencia”

Robert's Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We spent 4 nights in mid-Sept, low season. They do a lot of things right here! The staff is uniformly helpful and friendly, waiters are well-trained, excursion leaders are good at what they do. Rooms are spacious and well-supplied with robes, extra chairs, etc. Grounds are gorgeous with fountains, tropical flowers, daily raking of the beach. The pier with its thatched hut is a fun spot for drinks and apps. There are lots of seating areas spread throughout the grounds so you can be as close to or far from the action as you want to be.

We ate at the main dining room for breakfast each morning and twice for dinner, and once at Habanero's. I found the food to be tasty, although pricey. Bar drinks offered a good selection of beach cocktails and were well-made! Continental breakfast is included in the room rate and includes a beautiful fruit platter, tray of savory pastries, cereals, bread for toasting, yogurt and coffee & OJ. Great start to the day!

We took trips to snorkel Silk Caye and view Monkey River - very well done, totally satisfied. The Monkey RIver guide stopped on the way back to the resort to search for manatees and dolphins, and we found them! Seriously one of my life's wishes was to experience wild dolphins (not chlorine pool dolphins) and this was it! They were jumping out of the water, playing with each other, and the highlight - one splashed us in the boat with his tailfin. The snokel trip included a stop near a fisherman whose catch cleaning attracts loggerhead turtles. Found 4-5 turtles and eagle rays swimming underneath them! Fantastic! BBQ lunch on the island is included.

I wish I'd brought a flashlight for walking around the resort, as many areas are dimly lit. I think this resort sprays for mosquitos because I didn't see any at Robert's Grove, but when we went to Turtle Inn for dinner, I was eaten alive. (The waiter brought out bug spray.) We borrowed bikes and rode to the village, stopped at Tipsy Tuna for drinks. Overall, we loved Belize, and Placencia's slow-paced vibe. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NotALostWanderer

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for one week at Robert's Grove. We got married in Oregon, flew back to San Francisco, onto Florida and finally made it to Placencia.. so undoubtedly we were exhausted! Although it was an early check in, the staff was so helpful in getting us into our room and we were very impressed! We live in Napa Valley, and myself working in the food & beverage (mostly wine ;) ) industry I tend to have a high standard of resort stays. This resort is a top notch place to stay in Belize. Every single staff member were very accommodating and friendly! All 3 restaurants had a different cuisine to offer, which is great if you don't want to leave the property for a few days.Everyone needs a chance to relax and enjoy where you are staying! I had everything from shrimp primavera while soaking up the gorgeous view, to chicken nachos at Habanero's, and Sweet Mama's Belizean cooking! The amenities of a catamaran (my husband loves to sail), bikes, kayaks, snorkel gear, shuttle service etc. is great! I hate going on vacation and are forced to rent things at extra costs! We did rent a golf cart for the heck of it one day and traveled to the surrounding villages. Very neat places with authentic cuisine and A LOT of Rum :) Granted we traveled in the "off season" so it was nice to not have a lot of people around, and the weather was still hot...a few rain showers, thunder/lightening storms, bring bug spray if travelling during these times. We unfortunately were eaten alive because the rain brought out the flies.. Regardless, it was an awesome trip and we will definitely visit again!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms overlooking the beach are closer to the pools and more private!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Some of the best staff anywhere. Wonderful, friendly, helpful people. The problems: the on-site restaurant does not have a chef. They might have a cook, but none of the 14 menu items we ordered was moderately edible. It's priced high, and I can't even think of a US restaurant still open for business with food as poorly prepared. Example: expensive $9 chocolate dessert featured Hersey's liquid syrup. Rooms were nice but the A/C is one-size-fits-all. The master bedroom got "down" to 82F at night WITH the air conditioning running. It was not broken, it simply was sufficient to cool a closet, not 1200 sq ft of living space when it's in the high 80s and humid all the time. Pools were okay, just standard pools. Worse: they allow local vendors to come to the pools and harass you! When I spoke to management, I was told "only on Thursdays" can they come. Well, they came every day. Small children sent to tell you they won't eat unless you give them money. They'll give you a useless trinket, they say, as a 'thank you' for your donation. The #1 most horrible reason never to go here: they do NOT clean the beach. They rake the grounds meticulously, but not the beach. 3-4 FEET! of debris is constantly piling up all up and down at the water's edge. You cannot lie down on this beach. You have to walk through or jump over the mounds of coconut bark and other trash on the beach. The fact that it's allowed to sit there, stay wet, and heat up in the sun makes it an incubator for sand fleas. My sons were full of red bites all over them when they came back from a "walk on the beach". Great excursions. If you can adopt an attitude that allows for hot nights of sweaty poor sleep, poor food, and a beach to be avoided at all costs, you might be ok here. We would never return for free lodging and $2000 free spending cash. Really bad experience. One gem: they have amazing staff that makes you feel you can get through the misery. It's prepaid, so you don't have much choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank FamilyMan1963
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We loved this resort! We found it on living social and booked it and we were bit skeptical. When we arrived we were blown away! The staff was amazing and friendly, as was the entire village. The views, well, all my photos of the views are now my screen savers on every device I own, and I own a wedding venue and I strongly encourage all of my couples to check this place out for their honeymoon! I am we'll traveled and. I have no complaints about Roberts Grove!

Room Tip: I stayed in 2 different rooms while there, both were great but my 2 nd room was the best! It was ove...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very good place to stay in Placencia. Robert's Grove in convenient to the village and the airport. We enjoy a few days touring the peninsula and found Robert's Grove to be a good base of operations. The main restaurant was good but pricy and immensities are great. The little Mayan restaurant was a very nice change from the usual "American" fare. I would recommend Robert's Grove to anyone visiting the area that may desire an "All Inclusive" feel to the accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeffbland1
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Extremely delighted with everything this resort has to offer. The staff was wonderful throughout the duration of my stay. Its 4 minutes away from the airport. It was very quiet and private. I am going to go back as soon as I possibly can.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We have gone many times to Roberts Grove and always have had a great experience, we have also stayed in different islands and hotels in Belize. This one just stands out because it is well decorated, comfortable, with a great range of services. It practical point to for begin scuba dive excursions. Great food! It is expensive but Belize is an expensive place to run a hotel. The service in Belize is slow, the island type behavior frustrating and the lack of infrastructure and local products make
imports a necessity. So congrats Roberts Grove, keep the standards high!

• Stayed: August 2013