“Saturday Feast”

Robert's Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Had the opportunity to partake in the sat evening feast they put on. First the food was exceptional. The offered 5 salads, fresh baked goods, lobster , roast pig, roast beef, fish and lots of deserts. In a group of seven not one of us was displeased in the Dinner

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Keith_Black

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We did not stay at the hotel, although we did eat at the restaurant once - it was quite good.

We did our open water certification dives with the dive shop here, and were very impressed. Francisco was our dive master - he's one of those people who just exude competence and instantly make you feel safe and secure in his hands. Considering we were brand new - and I was a bit nervous - this was very welcome. We went out as part of a group both days, but were fortunate enough to have Francisco to ourselves for our training.

I would very much recommend him to anyone for any dive, but especially for anyone who is new or perhaps nervous. Along with giving us the tools and knowledge to dive safely in the future, he was a great underwater guide, pointing out a TON of things we'd have completely missed otherwise. Thanks for a wonderful two days!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken_Shannon
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Very nice property and well maintained although some aging. I was paying about $500 per day for a two bedroom suite with kitchen. The oven would not get over 220 degrees, so hard to cook or bake anything. I didn't complain and just figured out how to cook on the stove top.
A place that advertises wi fi then has such poor or no reception should be ashamed. It takes them out of the star count they otherwise would deserve. Two days of no wi fi is important to my business. It is the reason I will not return.

Room Tip: 33 and 33A are very nice. 2 bdrms with a sitting area and kitchenette. Oven doesn't work. 33...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Beautiful, quiet resort just south of Placencia. Our first floor villa was well located (room 21). Nice deck overlooking one of the pools and the Carribean where I'm writing this. Staff has been attentive and friendly (everybody in Belize has been friendly). All 3 restaurants have good to excellent food. Have been diving twice with Doran as dive master and thoroughly enjoyed the dives. The wife and I would return in a heartbeat. Side note. Rented a car to go to the Mayan ruins and stopped at Colemans cafe on the recommendation of the rental agent for lunch. We never would have stopped on our own but we're very glad we did. The owner/chef sat with us and chatted while we ate and explained what we were eating (nothing exotic just how the food was spiced). Very good food and nice people.
We will return to Belize.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Four adults, my husband and I and friends, stayed at Robert's Grove for 7 nights in February. We had a 2 bed-room villa with a wrap around porch right on the beach. I took my coffee and lounged in the hammock to watch the sunrise over the Caribbean every morning. The beach was beautiful, and, after a few windy, rough days, the water was warm and lovely for swimming. There are 3 small salt-water pools which delighted one member of our party who is allergic to chlorine. It was the first time in our 12 years of travel that he was able to swim in the pool.
Our accommodations were roomy, clean, and comfortable.
We found the staff at Robert's Grove to be delightful, friendly and helpful at all times. Floret at the front desk answered all our questions, fulfilled our requests, and joked and laughed with us everyday.
The chef at the beach-side restaurant, Ceasar, is excellent, and many of his specials were inspired, like the fettuccini Alfredo with tandoori seasoning. We did not have one bad meal. We went on the meal plan which is a very good value, Given the price of some of our dinners, I think we really made out on the deal. It was wonderful to be on an all-inclusive plan and not have to eat at a buffet. Plus, there are two other restaurants to choose from, and all were included on our meal plan.
I can't reccommend Robert's Grove highly enough. I know we will be returning.

Room Tip: We had room 28. First floor, ocean front, right on the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 444Beth444
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We booked our trip late, so actually finding an "upscale" resort with room was a challenge. I use upscale broadly here, as Belize is a third world country, with limitations. That is one of me reasons we like Belize though, it's not as pretentious and expensive as the Bahamas can be. However, I don't think I will return to Roberts Grove because I feel their marketing is misleading. When we tried to book our room, I wanted to find out what was available, because we wanted ocean front. We actually had to put down a deposit before they'd even tell us what rooms they had left. If we weren't desperate for a place to stay at that point, I would have looked elsewhere, but we had little choice. Once we paid a deposit they said all they had that was ocean front was a 2 bedroom villa. We checked with some friends to see if they wanted to go in order to get ocean front. What we got was an obstructed ocean view for one bedroom, and a view of the walkway from the parking lot from the other bedroom. When the porter was walking us to the rooms, I remarked that I thought we had ocean front. He stopped, pointed to the ocean that was laying beyond dense foliage, a swimming pool and two raised boardwalks and said we were ocean front. The picture below is the view from our "ocean front" room. After my travel agent looked into it, they told her they charge the same for ocean view rooms as for ocean front, so we weren't being overcharged, I'm not sure I believe them, but if so, it's overpriced.

The rooms are nice and roomy, we had a kitchenette which came in handy. We'd leave for a tour and return to a spotless villa each day. I thought the staff was friendly, but not super vested in service. I think another poster called it "casual" - I'd agree. If you ask, they are more than happy to help out though. We had a very early departure time for a trip to Glovers Reef, so we asked if we could take some yogurts up to our room the night before, since we were leaving before breakfast. They arranged to have breakfast boxed and ready for us early the next morning instead, a nice touch.

They have 3 restaurants, the food is average. Not bad but there are many great restaurants in Placencia and Maya Beach, so it's really a waste to eat here. We tried lunch at the belizean restaurant and it took forever! Seriously. We ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and it took almost an hour to get it.

So my lesson here is to book early, and book elsewhere, but if you have to book here, don't bother paying extra for ocean front, because you probably won't get it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sfraser64
RGMarketing, Owner at Robert's Grove Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Robert's Grove Beach Resort has a variety of accommodations. Our 1500 sq ft two-bedroom villas have one room facing the beach and one facing a tropical garden. The 16ft terrace has a view of the beach and ocean which are just steps away. currently there is no difference in price between ocean front or ocean view rooms. We rent all our villas at the same rate and on a first to book, first serve basis. When guests book directly with us we refer them to the resort map and point out the building they will be in so they have a familiarity ahead of time.

Our restaurants offer a wide variety of dishes to please any palate with specials that change weekly to keep the options new and fresh. In terms of the time sometimes the restaurant can become very busy and a slightly longer wait time can be experienced we appreciate your patience when this occurs.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed for about 8 nights right around mid-January. We were right on the border between the rainy and dry season and we certainly caught some of the rain. It was nice that the property provided two umbrellas in each of the rooms so we didn't have to get wet walking around the property. We enjoyed the pools and wandering around the grounds especially the organic garden.The staff was great especially Luis our tour guide for one of the excursions and the bartender whose name I am forgetting, but he had worked there for seven years.

Our room was a classic view room and was very clean with an extremely comfortable bed. Every night when we went out for dinner, it was pleasant to arrive and have the bed prepared for sleep with a little chocolate on each of the pillows. My only comment would be that our shower was leaky and we could hear the constant drip. Since we sleep with ambient noise from a phone app, the noise wasn't too bothersome at night. However, it would have been very annoying otherwise.

Speaking of our room the location was not the best as it was right off the main walkway and despite our ambient noise playing at night we often woke early to the sound of people talking. Still it wasn't enough to switch rooms, but I would recommend trying to obtain a room further from the main walkway by the main reception area.

There are some things that certainly need some improvement on one of them being the training of the dive staff. One of the main reasons we stayed here is that there is a dive shop on site. We went on one dive trip and I had a horrible experience later to discover when I arrived home that I had barotrauma not caused by anything I had done wrong, but by that of our dive master making a poor choice to dump my air when I was trying to clear my ears. I opted to go on a snorkel trip for the second part of the two dive excursion as I felt something wasn't quite right and turns out I was right. The guide for the snorkel portion was excellent and no complaints there.

I would stay at Robert's Grove again because despite this we still had an enjoyable trip and experience at the actual hotel, but I would not go on a dive trip again through them and only consider snorkeling.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
RGMarketing, Owner at Robert's Grove Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Robert's Grove would like to express it's sincere apologies for any discomfort you have experienced while on your dive. All Divers are required to be licensed and trained before they are taken out on a dive and our Dive Masters are as well. Training is also given to communicate underwater whenever a problem arises. Whatever the circumstances surrounding this instance we do regret that you did not get to enjoy the experience of Diving with us again on your trip. We would like to offer you a free dive tour during your next stay with us so you can see all the wonders you may have missed this time around. We hope to see you again at Robert's Grove Beach Resort.