“Honeymoon Paradise”

Green Parrot Beach Houses
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Green Parrot the week before Christmas for our honeymoon, and I can't imagine a better week! We were there right before the start of the busy season, and were some of the only guests there. Because of that, we got our own private tours to the Mayan ruins (Cahal Pech), and Monkey River, with amazing guides. We did our snorkel trip to Laughing Bird Caye with just a local couple and us, and Arlen was an incredible guide! Leo set up all our tours for us, and everything was arranged perfectly (although weather-dependent). We did the all-inclusive option for meals, paying for drinks on our own, and there were no surprises when we got the bill. Nicole gave us the table of honor for our dinners, since it was our honeymoon, which was very sweet. This was the perfect place to unplug and relax, with a little exploration mixed in.

The beach at the Green Parrot is beautiful, with soft sand and gentle water. The food was incredible! Stew chicken, red snapper, lobster, and shrimp were all amazing, with delicious local rice and beans, and fresh fruit. We stayed in one of the smaller cabanas, and it was great! The birds woke us up early in the morning when it wasn't windy, but the bed was very comfortable. No TV, but a nice porch with a hammock and quite the view. We got to know many of the staff there, and they were all wonderful! We visited the town of Placencia as well, at the end of the peninsula, and it is an awesome place with some delicious food, and many gift shops.

We wanted a relaxing vacation with some adventure thrown in, and we wanted to experience Belize and eat local food. This was the perfect place for us! Nothing super fancy, but friendly staff, delicious food and drinks, gorgeous beach, our own beach cabana, and fun tours. A big thanks to everyone at the Green Parrot for making our honeymoon so incredible!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Julszi11
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

We all would like to thank you for spending your honeymoon with us at the Green Parrot. We know that a honeymoon is a most memorable occasion for you. And we strive to do all that we can to further add to that experience. Based on your comment, we are so pleased to hear that we met your expectations. We want all of our guests to feel special, even if they are not on a honeymoon. Please keep us in mind, so that one day you may want to come back to where you spent you honeymoon. Best to you both in all of life's travels.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have had a busy work season and decided that I needed a quiet and low key vacation. Based on the Trip Advisor reviews I chose the Green Parrot, because some reviewers indicated that it was secluded - just my idea of a vacation!
Well I was no disappointed. The Green Parrot is a well maintained facility with individual units for the guests. I liked the privacy. The staff is very professional and warm. Leo, the manager took very good care of me. He tried to point out activities that I could do, but just relaxing and catching up on my e-reader was more than enough activity for me. The cook, Edisabella is a warm hearted and caring person. She would ask what I would like to eat and prepare it for me. This place is like having your own private staff and resort. I guess November is not a very busy month - which is just fine by me. I have the Green Parrot on my list of places to return too. I should also point out that as a single lady traveling I felt very safe at the Green Parrot. The staff is always available and that made me feel most comfortable. Just a little part of heaven tucked away here on the Caribbean.

Room Tip: I had the Sea Grape thatched roof cabana - very charming and close to the water's edge
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Pat S
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Just a word of thanks for staying with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the relaxed and quiet surroundings. We try to provide each traveler with the type of experience that they are looking for and that all go home with good memories. The next time you need an escape from life's hectic pace - keep us in mind.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Went to Belize in Nov,2013 for 2 weeks with my husband and a friend had a great time. What a little piece of Paradise. Would like to Thank Leo the manager of the Green Parrot and his sister Edisbel the Cook and all the Staff at the Green Parrot. Leo went above and beyond the call of duty he set up our trips anything we needed all we had to do is ask Leo He also drove us anywhere we wanted to go very friendly funny and helpful. .Edisbel is a great cook and really did a great job at getting to know what my likes and dislikes are. I was worried about all the spices in the food but Edisbel took good care of that for me,we were pleased with all the food and all the service it was like a home away from home, they made us feel like family.If your booking I would recommend the Green Parrot Thank you so much Crystal and Jerry Tuttle PA,USA

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Crystal T

We thank you for staying with us at the Green Parrot and for taking the time to write a review about your visit. Our goal is to meet new people and to do our best to make sure that their time (and money) spent with us are a highlight of their travels. We so appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you. Remember you can now be a part of our Returning Guest Program. So keep us in mind and come back and one day. Until then, safe travels and Happy Holidays.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Oh, where to begin and where to end? A life changing experience! All of what we experienced of Belize was wonderful. We came in mid Sept. for a week of beauty. The Green Parrot was all and more as described and had it mostly to ourselves. We had the fortunate pleasure of meeting and sharing time with two of the neighbors and between them and Leo and Edisbel we felt like family within a day. Leo, as busy as he is, was an easy going, gracious host who saw to all our wants and has a great sense of humor. Likewise for Edisbel who without a doubt is one of the best cooks ever. Her meals were delicious and by far better than any restaurant I have had. All the staff are friendly, and attentive to detail. Leo took us on trip to the Mayan ruins that was full of interests from the time we pulled out of the driveway and back and a fine lunch. We also spent two days with Arlan on the Monkey River and fishing all the way out past the reef. We can't recommend highly enough that one spend some time with this fine young man and his experience. There is not enough room to tell of all we saw, experienced and caught. Our only regret is that we didn't plan our stay to be much longer. We did not want to leave. Our best wishes to all of our Belizean family. With love, Michael and Lynn

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael M
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Just a note to say thanks for staying with us at the Green Parrot Beach Houses on your trip to Belize. We are so pleased that you took home with you good memories of Belize and your stay at the Green Parrot. We believe that your comments will help others in making a decision on where to stay while in Belize, and we hope it will be at the Green Parrot. Now about leaving your heart at Maya Beach! We will take good care of it, and do hope that one day you will return and find new memories and friends. Until we meet again, safe travels.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We loved the cabanas with the thatched roof and being right on the water, and at first it was nice to have the entire resort to ourselves, but after a couple of days we really wished there was more to do. We went snorkeling most days and did the Monkey River tour which was great, but got back to our rooms by two in the afternoon and had nothing to do until dinner. Neither my husband or myself are sit around on the beach types. We want to be doing something. I had been under the impressions that there was snorkeling right off the beach, but that was not the case. And it was too windy to take the Kayaks out. No hiking trails. So we walked around and hung out at the bar (by ourselves), took naps, and ate dinner (in the empty restaurant) early. Then there was nothing to do from 7 to 10. No music at the bar. Very few people. No TV in the rooms (which I had thought was a positive thing since I don't normally watch much TV), but with nothing else to do but sit on the bed and look at each other, it might have helped. And I don't drink that much, so drinking at the bar for five hours a day really wasn't an option either.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KYgirl77
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Hi - We first just wanted to say thank you for staying with us at the Green Parrot. We are sorry that the weather did not permit kayaking or snorkeling off the beach. I sure wish we could control old Mother Nature. When the winds calm down, the beach is great for swimming and snorkeling. As far as things to do, I wish you would have asked Leo for some recommendations. You could have gone on a zip line tour, Mayan ruin, horse back riding, A trip into Placencia might have been an option. For those coming, check our our website for activities. You came during the low season, when there is much less tourist traffic. Things kick back up in December. As far as secluded, we find that to be a benefit away from the noise and traffic in many locations. We understand that people have different interests and we do strive to make sure that people understand just what we have to offer. Thanks again for your comments and best to you in your future travels.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Green Parrot in July. We liked the fact that there were not many people in the area. We were able to walk on the beach and enjoy the Caribbean without anyone bothering us. The Green Parrot is the kind of place we were looking for. What we liked most were the private cabanas. Also, the fact that our cabana, Pink, was right on the beach and only about 30 feet from the waters edge. The resort has a bar and restaurant, which is very convenient. We just loved watching the sun rise over the Caribbean every morning. We also enjoyed the tours that Leo set up for us. Fishing was one of our special activities. Snorkeling was second best, and Alrin is a very good guide. I guess we are hooked on this experience and would love to come back again. Take care Leo and we hope to see you one day down the road.

Room Tip: We had the Pink cabana, but they all seem very similar
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Laurie J

We just want to say a big thank you for staying with us at the Green Parrot. We are glad to know that you were pleased with your stay, our accommodations, and that you took away many good memories. We notice that you appreciated the quiet and private nature of our cabanas and their location. We had to laugh a little bit, because another quest felt it was too quiet. I guess it just goes to show you that all people have different tastes and preferences. We always try to match up our guests interests with our location and activities that we offer. Please do come back one day for another visit. You can become part of our returning guest club. Best to you in your travels and please keep in touch.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We selected the Green Parrot based on the description of its location near the water. We were correct in our selection. We also relied on some Summer savings based on a Trip Advisor discount. We were very pleased with both. Our basic goal was to find a location where we could relax, do a little snorkeling and just decompress. Our selection of the Green Parrot was ideal. The units are right on the water. They are cleaned daily by the staff. We had great service from Leo in booking our tours. The meals were local fare- fish, rice and beans, fruit and veggies. The beer, Belikin, was cold. Seems like people just dont come to the Caribbean in the summer. I am not sure why, as the weather was great. No crowds - actually no people anywhere. They call this the Low Season. We are more than ready to come back in June or July, to avoid the crowds.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Pink House - right by the beach
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill L
ParrotBelize, Owner at Green Parrot Beach Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Hi Bill - thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Green Parrot. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. You are correct, the Summer months are slower in the Caribbean. We do appreciate your business and hope to see you back with us one day. Until then, safe travels.