My husband and I made our second trip to the Green Parrot the first week of August. This time my parents came along for the ride. We stayed in 2 different beach houses. Overall, our trip was very relaxing and lived up to our 1st wonderful experience. I'll start with the bad first: The biggest negative this time was the heat. It was too hot to sleep several nights and the beachhouses have no AC. The last time we went, it was January and we didn't need the AC. We'll never go back in August because of the heat. Secondly, the owner of the beach bar/hotel next door is crazy. He wasn't there our last trip and he was up late at night being very loud, playing loud music, cussing at his employees and guests. The police came twice during our stay because of him. Once was so my husband could file a complaint because he was on the beach nude in the middle of the day. This is in no way the Green Parrot's fault but having him as a neighbor will hurt their business. We won't go back until he is gone, his erratic behavior made us very uncomfortable. According to the police, they are building a case to try and get rid of him.
The positives are that the staff is great. Leo and Reuben make you feel right at home and are great to just sit at the bar and talk to. The food last time was very mediocre but not this time around. Thanks to Isabella, the food was much improved. Wonderful seafood and chicken dishes. And she makes an amazing cheesecake. The beach houses are literally right on the water which was calm and crystal clear while we were there. We spent most of our time reading on the dock or on the beach. Leo took us on a Mayan ruin tour (Xunantunich) which is not to be missed. The drive is a nice way to see the country and we went to a great place for lunch. The ruins are amazing. Leo even took us down the road one night to eat at a great little place, Maya Beach restaurant. It's within walking distance but my mom has a broken foot, so he actually took us down there. We also met the owners who arrived the day before we left. They are a very sweet couple and spent a while talking to us making sure we were enjoying our stay. The beach houses are clean and comfortable. Perfect for 2-3 people. We stayed in a cabana last time but moved from it after the first night this time because of the noisy neighbor. The cabanas are still great but I wouldn't recommend staying in them with the crazy guy right next door. The beach houses are far enough away to cut out most of the noise.
We did take the bus into town once which costs $2 US each way while a taxi costs $40 US round trip. Since the road is paved almost to the Green Parrot now, the time to get into town has been cut in half. The buses however do not run on time so we wound up taking a taxi the other times, despite the cost. The bus was 45 minutes late.
Wendy's is a great place to eat in Placencia and there is a little market about 1/2 mile from the Green Parrot for basics. There is a large market in Seine Bight where we also got a few things.
As long as you know what to expect from the Green Parrot and Belize you can have a great time. Go in the winter and don't expect a high end resort. There are bugs, the water is not always warm/hot in the showers and there is no AC. Bring a high deet concentration bug spray, a flashlight, and snacks. Pack light as the staff will do laundry for a small fee. The water is safe to drink and very tasty. There is not really any night life and town is too far to go every day (and too expensive). Go to the Green Parrot if you want amazing staff , a great beach, and a place to get away from phones, computer, TV, and the internet. The Green Parrot is the place to go for those who want to remain at the resort the majority of their stay and just relax.
I'm sure we'll go back again, just not in the summer and not while the current "crazy guy" still owns the property next door.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Green Parrot Beach Houses is located in Southern Belize on the Placencia peninsula. We have a total of 8 individual beach cabanas to serve our guests needs. All of our units are on the beach. In addition, we have our own bar and restaurant. The Green Parrot Resort serves a wide variety of customers- adventure travelers, divers, fishermen and women, weddings, college groups, religious service groups, and beach lovers. You can arrange all of your tours through the Green Parrot Office. We prescreen our tour guides so that you get the best adventure experience for the dollar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Green Parrot Beach Houses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Green Parrot Beach Houses Hotel Placencia
- Green Parrot Beach Hotel
- Green Parrot Beach Resort
- Green Parrot Beach Houses Belize/Placencia