“2nd time around!”

Green Parrot Beach Houses
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 16 August 2009

My husband and I made our second trip to the Green Parrot the first week of August. This time my parents came along for the ride. We stayed in 2 different beach houses. Overall, our trip was very relaxing and lived up to our 1st wonderful experience. I'll start with the bad first: The biggest negative this time was the heat. It was too hot to sleep several nights and the beachhouses have no AC. The last time we went, it was January and we didn't need the AC. We'll never go back in August because of the heat. Secondly, the owner of the beach bar/hotel next door is crazy. He wasn't there our last trip and he was up late at night being very loud, playing loud music, cussing at his employees and guests. The police came twice during our stay because of him. Once was so my husband could file a complaint because he was on the beach nude in the middle of the day. This is in no way the Green Parrot's fault but having him as a neighbor will hurt their business. We won't go back until he is gone, his erratic behavior made us very uncomfortable. According to the police, they are building a case to try and get rid of him.

The positives are that the staff is great. Leo and Reuben make you feel right at home and are great to just sit at the bar and talk to. The food last time was very mediocre but not this time around. Thanks to Isabella, the food was much improved. Wonderful seafood and chicken dishes. And she makes an amazing cheesecake. The beach houses are literally right on the water which was calm and crystal clear while we were there. We spent most of our time reading on the dock or on the beach. Leo took us on a Mayan ruin tour (Xunantunich) which is not to be missed. The drive is a nice way to see the country and we went to a great place for lunch. The ruins are amazing. Leo even took us down the road one night to eat at a great little place, Maya Beach restaurant. It's within walking distance but my mom has a broken foot, so he actually took us down there. We also met the owners who arrived the day before we left. They are a very sweet couple and spent a while talking to us making sure we were enjoying our stay. The beach houses are clean and comfortable. Perfect for 2-3 people. We stayed in a cabana last time but moved from it after the first night this time because of the noisy neighbor. The cabanas are still great but I wouldn't recommend staying in them with the crazy guy right next door. The beach houses are far enough away to cut out most of the noise.

We did take the bus into town once which costs $2 US each way while a taxi costs $40 US round trip. Since the road is paved almost to the Green Parrot now, the time to get into town has been cut in half. The buses however do not run on time so we wound up taking a taxi the other times, despite the cost. The bus was 45 minutes late.

Wendy's is a great place to eat in Placencia and there is a little market about 1/2 mile from the Green Parrot for basics. There is a large market in Seine Bight where we also got a few things.

As long as you know what to expect from the Green Parrot and Belize you can have a great time. Go in the winter and don't expect a high end resort. There are bugs, the water is not always warm/hot in the showers and there is no AC. Bring a high deet concentration bug spray, a flashlight, and snacks. Pack light as the staff will do laundry for a small fee. The water is safe to drink and very tasty. There is not really any night life and town is too far to go every day (and too expensive). Go to the Green Parrot if you want amazing staff , a great beach, and a place to get away from phones, computer, TV, and the internet. The Green Parrot is the place to go for those who want to remain at the resort the majority of their stay and just relax.

I'm sure we'll go back again, just not in the summer and not while the current "crazy guy" still owns the property next door.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2009

We spent four days at the Green Parrot and thoroughly enjoyed it. You have your own cabana right on the beach and this in itself was great. While we were there, there was road construction going on, so there was a lot of truck traffic, but other than that, it was very quiet, nothing but the sound of the surf. The cabana was roomy, with a small kitchen, living room and bathroom downstairs and the bedroom upstairs. No A/C, but a ceiling fan keeps the air moving. Continental breakfast is free every day, with a bigger breakfast available for a moderate price in the open-air restaurant. Lunch and dinner are also available and the dinners we enjoyed there were very good. The Green Parrot is nine miles north of Placencia, too far to walk, so you need to get a taxi into town, but they have bikes available to those willing to bike that far on a rough road. For water activities - snorkeling, diving - the Sea Horse Dive Shop provides pickup and drop off at the resort. All in all, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2009

The Green Parrot Beach Houses is a nice place to stay if you want a low key, for now, break in your vacation. There are two major problems with Green Parrot: (1) Leo, the manager is pushes to get people to eat at the Green Parrot restaurant and, if you do not eat at their restaurant and/or do not utilize the tours they are associated with Leo becomes less and less personable and (2) there is insufficient light to read at night.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stkrebs
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I had not been to Central America and didn't know what to expect. I knew I was burned out and needed to relax. We had a rough winter in Michigan and I wanted warmth, sun, no blackberries, phones, or bad news. The GP was the perfect spot. It is clean and intimate, with a great staff. Leo (the Manager) picked us up from the airport so we didn't have to worry how to get to the resort. We had most of our meals and drinks at the hotel in the open air dining room. I didn't have to do a thing except select my next book from the wonderful lending library. My husband, who doesn't get a chance to read for pleasure, read a book a day. The library also has plenty of board games. Days were relaxing, starting with the great Belize coffee and breakfast. Ask for a piece of cornflake bread. You don't have to worry about eating greens or drinking the water, so enjoy the salads at lunch. For dinner, Ruben brought out the tablecloths, napkins, flowers and candles. He is also the bartender and makes great drinks. There is usually a selection of fish, shrimp, and something else like chicken, beef or pork. There isn't much to do after dark, so I did more reading. This allowed me to wake early to see the beautiful sunrise (around 6 am). We went on the Monkey River tour which was a must. This got us out on a boat for several hours without taking a long road trip as the boat picked us up just behind the resort in the lagoon. We decided to take a bus to Placencia - it costs $1 US each way versus $25 for a taxi and gets you there in about as much time, plus you get to experience the local people. However, there is really nothing to see in Placencia and in retrospect I wouldn't go again. The other fun thing I did was kayak to the island in front of the resort - the GP has several canoes and kayaks for their guests. The island is 3 miles away and took me about 45 minutes. I went in the morning when the sea is calmer and was rewarded by the most beautiful sights. It was like snorkeling above ground, as I spent over an hour paddling and floating in the shallow water off the left side of the island looking at all the incredible vegetation, coral and fish. I had sunblock and took a towel to cover my legs so they wouldn't burn. I would have gone back the next day with my husband but we had to leave. The other thing I would recommend is to pick up booze at the duty free in Belize City. That is where the cheapest prices are and shop around as each store has a different price. I bought a bottle of Baileys for $25 in Houston and another one for $14 in BC. People say to travel light and now I know what they mean. For all the water around, when you are not on the beach Placencia is hot and dusty from the dirt roads. Do not bring good clothes, they will get dusty and dirty. I walked to the local market (about 1/2 mile) to buy the makings for Pina Coladas which we drank to excess, and used the water pitcher in our room and kept them in the frig. Also, watch out for the sand fleas. I think they come out at dusk. I didn't get bit very bad, but my husband sat on the porch until it was almost dark every night and got hundreds of bites on his arms and legs. He didn't realize it til we got home and started itching like crazy. I'm now back in my frenzied world full of deadlines, not enough sleep, emails, phones, TVs, bankruptcies and look at my pictures fondly. The Green Parrot and its staff will always hold a special place in my heart. I understand why many people purchase in the area so they can return year after year.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichiganKrikit
Reviewed 7 March 2009

This was our first trip to Belize, so we were not sure what to expect. We selected the Green Parrot from the internet. One thing that impressed us was the quick response we received. In addition they answered all of our questions about the resort and things to do. So off we went.
We were picked up at the Placencia Airport --that is an experience - by the van that took us to the Resort. The road is a bit surprising --lots of pot holes - but they seem to be in the process of rebuilding it. Also we passed through seign bight village - talk about 3rd world poverty. With that little intrduction to Belize - we were a bit concerned with what we might find. Well were we surprised --what a loverly location. Right on the Caribbean - the open restaurant looks right out on the water. A great dock to sit on and watch for dolphins - we saw the back of one.
Cabanas are clean and nice. We liked the privacy.
Food is good and local produce is used.
Trips - we liked Monkey River and the Mayan Ruins.
Staff --Wow --Ruben knew our name the first day --he is the bar tender.
Leo--there is a gem --just ask him and he will direct you to the best tours and give you a lot of information on the resort and Belize.
We hated to leave -but back to indiana and the winter.
We will put this on our annual list of places to visit. We just hope that it does not change.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IndianaTraveler92
Reviewed 3 March 2009

So many times, what really is the first thought in your head, is will the hotel and location be as you expected it to be. Well, it was. Every review that I had read on here prior to going pretty much summed it up.

The houses are as expected, nice, personal touch, quiet, peaceful, interesting.

The staff was overall, very good, and personable/friendly. I especially enjoyed meeting Reuben and Tanya. The food, I thought was very, very good.

The beach is quiet, the ocean calm, and the view splendid.

The tours, Monkey River and Mayan Ruins, were, as expected, excellent.

Had no worries at either airport, unlike Caracas and Venezuela where I visited last year.

OVerall, I would recommend it, to anyone that likes peace and quiet, getting to know a couple of people, go at your own pace, see a couple of sights, and have a pretty god 4-5 days somewhere.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Tarheelfan23
Reviewed 15 February 2009

the resort is a Oasis of peace and quiet. we appreciate the very clean cabanas, the confort room and the house keeping is impecable.the beach is cleaned every days.the must is the professional and very attentive personal workers.we appreciate the very local food at the restaurant. Leo make a very good job and avalaible all the time, smilling and attentive to our questions. we also appreciate foods in the few restaurants around.no radio, no music, no tv no pubs to disturbe our quiet relaxe holiday..
we enjoy the silence during our stay, Thank you again Leo and all the staff, we never forget our stay in your charming resort and like to return for a other one our two feet on the beach.
sue and gerard

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sue-gerard