“A slice of paradise”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
California, Maryland
“A slice of paradise”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We found Singing Sands through an eco-touism site. The prices were very reasonable and their website promised serene natural beauty. McElroy was very helpful leading up to our vacation, helping us not only book our 6 night stay but also taking care of travel arrangements from Belize City to Placencia and a pick up at the airport. When we arrived we were greeted with smiling faces and a family atmosphere. It was like we were old friends returning. Everything we needed was taken care of including arrangements for several wonderful excursions. While everyone at Singing Sands was absolutely amazing I have to make a special note for Everett at the front desk who really made the week a pleasant experience. He acts as concierge, front desk, social events coordinator and some-time waiter and does it all with a smile on his face. Also of note (and I'm sorry I do not know his name) was the bartender/head waiter. He greeted us every meal, knew our preferences and made sure that our dining experience was exceptional. While we could have gone to any of the other restaurants in Placencia village or along Maya Beach we chose to dine at Singing Sands because the food was delicious and the service was exceptional. i would return to Singing Sands in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We chose the Ocean Front Cabana and it is definitely my recommendation. We were off on our own, apar...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soogat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent one night at the Singing Sands Hotel , its a very calming atmosphere . A friendly staff take care of your wants . Cute thatched free standing cabanas for the most part . The restaurant and bar has good food and drink and are accommodating . The beach isn't great lots of sea grass. We did like their long pier with a great spot at the end to sit over the sea . Enjoy worth a visit

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights in August/September this year. It was extremely quiet and relaxing. While I wouldn't want to swim off the beach due to the amount of sea grass, I did swim off the dock. In addition the pool was also a welcome respite from the heat.

I loved the individual cabanas. And, while there is not A/C, between the ceiling fan and stand-up fan I still found myself sleeping with a blanket. The place was very clean and I was pleased to have seen only one roach my entire stay. One thing I did see that totally surprised me was an Armadillo. Even though we have them here in Texas, it didn't dawn on me that Belize would have them as well.

The only thing that needs improvement are the showers. They are ice cold for a few minutes, then scalding hot for a few seconds, then back to being cold. Since it was summertime it wasn't too much of a problem, but in the wintertime it just might be.

Be aware that the hotel is 8 miles from the village and taxis run about 40BZE or 20USD. The hotel recommended a wonderful father/son cab company who took such wonderful care of me and those I met at the hotel.

Since the restaurant is separate from the hotel I will write a separate review for them.

Room Tip: All rooms were great
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pscert23
Rabat, Morocco
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at this place with my husband for 2 nights and we really liked it.
It is a beautiful place with intimate atmosphere that integrates fantastic cabanas, vegetation and the beach. At night, you can fall asleep at the sound of the waves lapping !

The restaurant is a little overpriced for what it is (especially breakfast) so we preferred to go to the city (a few miles away). We had a trouble with hot water in our cabana and we really had to insist before the issue was solved. But other then this, we really enjoyed our stay in this little peace of paradise !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I spent a week at Singing Sands over Thanksgiving and had the most wonderful time. All of the excursions were wonderful. Everyone I met was so nice and helpful. I only got two bites the whole week, including going to the jungle. Use bug spray and you'll be fine. I loved that it was so small and intimate. The perfect getaway.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place was such a change after the first place where I stayed in Placencia.
The place is beautifully landscaped both in terms of the vegetation as well as the constructions. While they only have 8 rooms, they have quite an infrastructure assuring an excellent service and very good maintenance. The beach is quite wide and well maintained, always clean. They also have an excellent long dock with some chairs to enjoy the scenery.
Unfortunately you cannot really swim much in the sea as there is a lot of vegetation. We could have gone snorkeling at the end of the dock but there was a lot of jelly fish when we were there. So instead we made good use of the excellent pool.
The restaurant is also very good and, unlike certain other posters, I did not find it so expensive. Remember, everything is pretty pricey in Placencia. We had the vast majority of our meals there. They have a special at dinner which we had most of the time.
The place being in Maya beach is rather isolated. There are not many choices of restaurants close by. A lot more in Placencia. There is also a supermarket within walking distance.
They have free wifi at the restaurant and the pool and the signal can reach some rooms. Speed was acceptable. Another plus are the bikes that you can borrow for free. Otherwise a taxi ride to Placencia is US$15.
The room was clean and nicely decorated. Where they lose some points is on what I call the "sleep quality". There are a lot of mosquitos and with the thatch roof, they have free access to the rooms. They have nets over the beds but it took us a while to figure out how to properly place it. But it still feels "stuffy" inside the net and we did not sleep so well.
We did not have good weather and both of us caught a cold, surely not the hotel's fault. But when we had to cancel the snorkeling trip, I though that the cancellation fee was way high.
As others have said, it is a quiet area and you are far from the "action". That did not bother us as we just wanted some rest. Understand that the nearest ATM is 12km away.
As is often the case in Belize, people were all very nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Singing sands inn was perfect for our honeymoon. The inn is very small but this was perfect because it felt like we were the only ones there. Their beach is nice and quiet. They have a pier where you can lounge on chairs or lay in the hammock. The rooms were perfect for couples and I would highly recommend the beach front cabanas! Their restaurant was one of the best things about our stay. They have a unique menu with good dishes. The snapper or pork chops were especially tasty! The people are friendly and they get to know your name after the first day. Definitely want to go back!

• Stayed November 2013