“A Vacation to Remember”
Review of A Belizean Nirvana

A Belizean Nirvana
Ranked #1 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2014

It is difficult to briefly summarize the enjoyment experienced in our 11 day visit to Belize and our stay at Nirvana. Evan and Barbara are not just excellent hosts, but are the type of people you would love as friends and neighbors. The accommodations are first class with an excellent staff that felt more like family by the end of our trip. On two mornings, when there was light rain, they even delivered breakfast to our rooms.

Since our two children entered college, we have made annual, 2-week holiday trips overseas, for the last six years, including trips with A&K, Wildtrek Safaris plus self-designed adventures. This trip ranks very high. If we return to Belize, Placencia is where we would go and Nirvana is where we would stay. The village is safe, charming and everythiing is within walking distance. Our time was filled with 2 days of fishing, snorkeling, driving trips to Mayan ruins and national parks, the Monkey River tour pluis plenty of time for relaxing. Thanks to our extroverted kids, I think we met half the population of Placencia, who are among some of the friendliest people we have ever encountered in our travels. (P.S. Be sure to ask Evan about the weekly karioke night - what a blast!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NEBYSB
Evan H, Owner at A Belizean Nirvana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you!! - you and your family were wonderful, we enjoyed your stay with us and yes, it felt like we had friends visiting. You gave us great feedback that we can build upon. Evan and I are looking forward to your visit again.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

When you walk down the concrete path from the main street of Placencia to the Belizean Nirvana, you definitely know you're not in Miami Beach! But when you get to the Inn on the beach at the end of the path, you really have reached Nirvana!

Evan and Barbara, the owners and managers, were the nicest, most welcoming inn owners we've ever encountered. They were incredibly accommodating and more than generous. We stayed a night each at the beginning and end of our trip to Hatchet's Caye in between. The rooms we stayed in were luxurious, incredibly clean and well appointed - there was an almost full kitchen - just without a stove - in one suite, and the other suite (the Namaste) had a full, deluxe kitchen and two baths, one including a huge jacuzzi tub. We also loved the great balconies with views of the water and beach. The balconies also had great hammocks and comfortable seating that we had complimentary breakfast on one morning when it was raining.

Barbara and Evan are ex-pats from New Jersey. Evan used to run a catering company in NJ, so when we brought them some Wahoo he did an awesome job grilling it up with some barracuda from another guest (dnruth22) along with veggies, etc. They are so generous too - we had only intended the fish for Barbara and Evan, but they hosted a dinner for all of the inn's guests with that fish. Another example of their generosity was that they gave up their own apartment - the Namaste - for us when they got overbooked.

The NIrvana was also well located on the beach on Placencia. It was an easy walk up the beach to several beach side bars/restaurants. This was also one of the pluses for us as the other hotels or resorts in Placencia required a taxi ride to get to town or the beach. The Inn also had kayaks to use, beach chairs and showers on the beach to wash off - as well as bicycles that their guests could use.

Placencia itself is more of a 3rd world developing village, but it gives you a real feel for how the locals live and they are all very friendly and the town felt safe.

We highly recommend the Belizean Nirvana to anyone visiting Belize!!!

Jackie & Donna

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

You were both wonderful guests, sharing that great wahoo with us - the meal was great. Please come back and spend a longer time at Nirvana.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Perfect location, in the center of Placencia village. Restaurants, shops, bars are, at most, 10 minutes away.

Perfect and secure accommodation with great attention to detail. We, three adults, stayed in the Namaste suite, on the second floor, a well appointed one bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms, one of which included a huge jacuzzi, a large living area with a queen sized futon, six seater dining table and a magazine style kitchen with everything one could possibly need. We lacked nothing. The large balcony, overlooking the private beach, had comfortable chairs and hammocks to go with the sound of the waves below. If it had rained all weekend I would still have been happy. Complimentary, continental breakfast was served on the roof and what a view!

The friendly and caring staff is available but not intrusive.

I can't say enough good things about Nirvana. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gina's Hot Saic... S

Thank you for your kind review, and come back to visit us soon!!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I wish I were intelligent enough, articulate enough to KNOW I was going to convince you. If you haven't booked your room here yet, do it now. Please. You don't know me, but I, your fellow traveler, am speaking to you as a friend.

A quick word about Placencia in general. This isn't a sprawling, towering, shiny resort kind of town. The beach, being protected by an offshore barrier reef, isn't subjected to the eroding surf that renders the sand a powdered sugar consistency. Its more like raw cane sugar. A little more coarse, therefore it doesnt pack as easily and walking it for endless miles is slightly more cumbersome (though in all fairness a slightly better workout). You won't find 20 story behemoths of resorts with twelve restaurants and 16 bars on site. What you WILL find is a charming, warm, friendly town that will fill a bit less like a vacation, and a bit more like a second home.

Back to the resort. A Belizean Nirvana is a gem. A wonderful, well kept, well stocked, yet small and warm, cordial, and breathtaking gem. The rooms are gorgeous (if you care about such things, I stayed in the first floor Hibiscus room). You are awarded a fantastic view of the ocean, mere steps from your bed. It comes equipped with a refrigerator (that Barbara and Evan, the proprietors, had graciously contacted me and asked if they could stock prior to my arrival), an upscale bathroom and tiled shower, a sitting area, and plenty of love. I was provided with a local cell phone (included in your rate), and pickup at the local airstrip by Evan himself (also included). Evan greeted me like an old friend, though we had never met. He picked me up, offered to drive me around town so I could get my bearings, then showed me all around the property (including the stunning rooftop veranda). His wife, a gracious, charming, wonderful lady met us when we arrived. The greeting was just as warm. These are fine people who go out of their way to ensure you have the time of your life. Some highlights:
They serve a continental breakfast, complete with local fresh fruit, well done pastry, at this time some incredible guava jelly, a great start to the day...on the afforementioned stunning veranda. One night (I stayed only four, and could have easily stayed for 40...and yes, I over use parenthesis breaks), Evan and Barbara arranged a reception on the roof with rum punch and some nice finger foods that they had made. The next, they cooked an entire dinner out of some barracuda I had caught on a fishing trip that morning...that Evan and Barbara had of course helped me book. Luckily a couple other people staying there, who were obviously more skilled than I, had caught a very nice wahoo also, so we had plenty to go 'round. Do I even need to tell you that the meal was BEYOND fantastic? I could go on and on. Please. I implore you. If you're already intelligent enough to want to come to Placencia...be intelligent enough to stay here. Happy travels to you!

Room Tip: The three rooms on the ground floor are all 1 room suites. I think they have a two room suite and a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank dnruth22

Hi Dave, we had a great time with you and hope that you will come back to visit us soon. Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed for two nights and I cant complain about it. Since we arrived the staff gave us a personalized attention and made me feel like they knew us from a long time ago! I honestly loved the room as it had all what a tourist would need for a trip to the beach. I honestly did not expect free continental breakfast so that was really good. At the end of our short holiday I was so sad to leave, I wished I could stay there a bit longer. They have complementary Kayaks which i tried for the 1st time and the beach was beautiful and clean

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelerpuki

Thank you for your review - come back soon and stay longer.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was just wonderful! We got upgraded and lucky we did because the 2 first nights, it was pouring rain so all we did was stay indoors and read our books on the hammock outside the balcony! The room was soooo comfortable and clean that it felt like home! Evan, the owner, is such a nice guy! The Belizean Nirvana is also centrally located and that's the main reason I picked this place, no regrets at all! The complimentary bfast was great too with alot of variety each morning. Can't say enough about this place, it's just a GEM!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RahKing

Thank you for your review - come back and visit us again.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Something really people have to try! The hotel is in a nice place with a wonderfull private beach..the rooms are nice and very comfortable....and very clean! All the people are nice and they can help you anyhow...my experience is....i think i was in a paradise...i was!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pilat75P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us - we really appreciate it - hope you will come back to Belize, and definitely Placencia and Nirvana.