“worth a second visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Madison, Wisconsin
“worth a second visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at the Maya Beach hotel 2 years ago and found it to be relaxing, friendly, and the restaurant, delicious. When we were considering a warm weather getaway this year we decided to return. This time we stayed at the Joya del Mar, the vacation rental that the Maya Beach manages. Didn't fail to impress. The place is clean and cozy, right on the beach. We can walk right down the beach to the hotel restaurant which continues to be amazing. Ellen and John and their manager, Marlin, make guests feel like family.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room although I haven't seen them all. There are some new bunga...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wiscongirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

The constant warm breeze flowing thru our beach cabana was the perfect remedy for the ice and snow we left in PA. Waking up each morning to the sun rising over the ocean cannot be beat. Loved, loved, loved Marlon, who was right on every need that we had during our stay. The linens and pillows on the bed were the greatest. Water pressure in the shower was way low and hot water was there then gone, but hey when the temp is 78, who needs hot water-(tho a little more pressure would have helped rinse shampoo out). Loved our stay and hope to return again!

Room Tip: The cabanas are wonderful with the beach coming right up to your front steps and the ocean just step...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
MN USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I got busy with a few things this fall, and didn't get plans cemented for a family vacation. Belize, and specifically Placencia, looked like a nice choice, but when I started looking for accommodations, it seemed virtually everything was filled.
When we contacted the management checking on another property, we were told it was full, but that the Maya Apartment was available. Perhaps because it had only opened a couple months prior, it wasn't yet available when the early birds were booking. It was more space than we needed for our family of three, but I had been selling the destination to my family (and I was pretty sold, myself) so I was very happy to have accommodations. Thank you Ellen!

The place was excellent! We were shown around and made to feel very welcome on arrival. There are kayaks, and beach to walk, nice pool, and a fantastic restaurant. Our daughter had her own loft bedroom and bath. One nice extra bedroom went unused. The Wi-fi was generally decent. My husband's and my room opened to the huge and scenic deck. I'm a very light sleeper, and I'm used to not getting much sleep when I go on vacation. In the Maya apartment we had such a comfortable bed, perfect pillows, just-right AC, quiet, no bright lights leaking around the draperies-- This was the first time in my adult life that I remember sleeping as well away from home as I do at home. It was a huge deal for me, being well-rested in the morning! Daughter and husband reported sleeping well, too.
There was a very nice kitchen, but with so many great restaurants in the area (especially the one right downstairs) I only cooked a couple meals. It was still nice to have ample refrigerator space for fruit and water. The place was spotlessly clean and the view couldn't have been better.
I was a little concerned about being right upstairs from the restaurant, but they close early and noise was never a problem.
The main guy at the desk, whose name I apologize for missing, was wonderfully helpful, giving us advice when we asked about things to see and do. He's very knowledgeable about local sights (and sites) and he has a good network. (For example, when I asked about the possibility of seeing Macaws in the wild, he knew whom to call to find out where they could be seen. Turns out it was an all-day hike, and my family was slightly less willing to devote an entire day than I was...next time!)
The location is wonderful, in a quiet spot, but not far from grocery stores or little shops. The beach was raked clean, and there's a nice dock with a palapa, equipped with chairs, hammocks and a chair swing. We watched dolphins, little fish, and at night spotted a small lobster right next to the dock. There were lots of birds, including some parrots, right near our deck, and I saw long-toed tracks that I assume were coatis'. Very cool!
If I were to be extremely picky, the only thing close to a negative that I could find is that the great-looking deck furniture was difficult to dry off from overnight sprinkles. We didn't sit on it at all since it was always wet. That wasn't a big deal though, since we had the same view from inside and also the option of the palapa. We didn't do a lot of sitting around, anyway.
There's a lot to do and see in the area and there's a nice feel of environmental consciousness and appreciation for the area's natural resources. It wouldn't be a bad spot for a "lie-on-the-beach-and-do-nothing vacation, but it's a *wonderful* spot for active vacationers. I would love to go back again, and the Maya Beach Hotel would be my first choice for accommodations.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ooojen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay, super clean very friendly, and the food although more then you may spend other places it is well worth it. Some of the best foodand service we had. Make sure to splurge on a dinner here, leo was our server and was great. The owners are on the ball when it comes to a clean comfortable stay. Love it

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
FlipFlopTheBeachCat, Owner at Maya Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thanks very much for taking the time to review and recommend our hotel. It really makes our efforts feel worthwhile when we hear that someone has enjoyed their stay. Hope to see you again!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Maya Beach Hotel is a smallish hotel situated right on the beach, a perfect distance from Placencia town proper. We stayed for four days and three nights in early December while we were in town for the End of The World half-marathon. Clean and comfortable, with friendly, helpful staff, this is the perfect place to kick back and relax. I would like to pay special mention to the Maya Beach Hotel Bistro as it served, quite possibly, the most consistently good food I've ever had. Normally, we would venture out when travelling to explore local restaurants and sample their cuisine; in this case, we never left the hotel for meals because the food was so good. Many thanks to Ellen and her team for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review! We're glad you liked the hotel, and the Bistro (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g291977-d1108702-Reviews-Maya_Beach_Hotel_Bistro-Placencia_Stann_Creek.html) . Hopefully you'll be able to make it back to Placencia and Maya Beach for next year's marathon!
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

My boyfriend and I discovered this lovely hotel by chance while lost on our first arrival at Placencia, first day in Belize. We stopped at Maya Beach to ask for directions to the hotel we had booked in town and were warmly oriented by Ellen. A glimpse at the beach, and the bar with its fantastic selection of wines, convinced us that we had booked in the wrong place. The following morning we were back and spent the most delightful three nights of our three week stay- traveling from one end of Belize to the other. The hotel bistro is top notch, has won all sorts of prizes for its sublime food and wine. The rooms are lovely, quiet, with blissfully comfortable mattresses. We couldn't have asked for a better welcome to Belize. Thank you Ellen and John.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at this little gem of a hotel for 5 fantastic nights on the first leg of our trip in January. We stayed in one of two new cabañas, the "Kingfish" & "King Conch". These
cabañas are well appointed, rich dark toned furniture, cabinets and beautiful Belizean
hardwood floors. We really appreciated the small kitchenette. As much as we love to cook, why
when you have John and his staff at the Bistro. It was nice to have around for making cocktails, preparing snacks and the blender is a great touch, that got alot of use. The cabaña gives you the feeling of having your own slice of paradise.
The staff is what makes the MBH so special, from top to bottom a great group of folks. Who are
dedicated to making each and ever guests stay one to remember. That dedication starts with the owners, John and Ellen. Who are on premise every waking hour, even in the middle of the night when a guest set off the alarm trying to return a wine glass to the Bistro. The tour and fishing that Marlon and Cleeve arraiigned for us were top notch with excellent guides. I won't review the Bistro here, but if you are wine lover Ellen has put together a wine list, that from my experience is the best in Belize. A deverse list with offerings from all the major wine regions. We did manage
to drink a couple of her "babies", the last bottle she had of that vintage. We will be back next year
to finish of that Malbec Elllen, if it's still around. Till then, bless all of you for making our stay with you simply elegant.

Room Tip: The Kingfish and King Conch suites give you a bit more privacy, and the feeling of having your own...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thai1on
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Chabil Mar
#4 of 19 in Placencia
Singing Sands Inn
Singing Sands Inn
#10 of 19 in Placencia

Been to Maya Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!