“Resort in need of a beach”

The Placencia Hotel and Residences
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Just arrived home from one week at The Placencia Hotel, All in all, if you are looking for a quite place to stay this is it! The ground, rooms etc are beautiful and very clean. The staff is wonderful and all speak very good English. The food was typical Caribbean food but not very inventive. This was an all-inclusive trip but I feel that the resort is really not set up for all-inclusive, but they try.
If you are looking to go to the Caribbean and swim in that blue warm water this is not the place. The pool is great but once you step off the sand beach into the water your walking in mud! This was a big turnoff.
The other thing is that the travel agency did not tell us that once you land in Belize City your need to recheck your luggage and fly in a 12 person plane to Plecencia, 30 mins,
really don't think we would go there again, There are too many other places with beautiful beaches and water.

Room Tip: get an Ocean View room!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Msmith4998

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We chose this resort because it was the only one we found through Expedia (on Sunwing), that was all inclusive and that's what we wanted for our first time going to Belize. We flew into Belize City, and then had to get on a small 12 seater plane to fly down to Placencia. I don't recall seeing that in the information and would have been shocked if I hadn't found out about it by reading other reviews and posts. The Sunwing rep was a little hard to find. I think they could have used a couple more a long the way between customs and the check in counter for the 2nd flight. I know one couple actually went outside looking for the rep and fortuantely someone told them to go back in.
We were met at the little airport by resort staff and shuttled 20 minutes to the resort, where we checked in and were ushered out to the pier bar for a lunch. By the time we finished, our bags had been delivered to the room. We got an Ocean View room, and it was very nice. Looked right over the beach. It was on the third floor though. The rooms below us were Ocean view suites. Nicer than our room, but unless you really want the sitting room, not worth the extra money. View wise, we had the nicest room.
And it was clean and very comfortable The resort was lovely. Small, only about 80 rooms and very quiet. NOT THE PLACE TO GO IF YOU ARE WANTING TO PARTY. There was some form of entertainment most nights, but never very late, and nothing like the shows you get at the big resorts at other Caribbean locations no "discos". Even in the daytime, it’s pretty quiet there. Not much to do. They have bicycles and kayaks that you can take out or a shuttle to town a couple of times a day, but beware they said 10:00 AM everyday and that wasn't always so. Sometimes it was 9:00 sometimes it was 10:30
There are tours right from the resort– Mayan ruins, jungle trips, zip lining, cave tubing, snorkeling, diving, etc. The prices were not bad and they would arrange them for any day that you wanted as long as 4 people signed up (or you could arrange your own tours from the several places in town).There was some confusion on one of our trips. We were booked for a 1/2 day snorkeling on Saturday. That morning, one of the girls at the desk said it was cancelled because of the weather, so we went on with other things. Then five minutes before we should have been leaving for the trip, they were looking for us to go. We, of course, weren't ready, so said go without us. I was angry because that’s what I had really wanted to do while we were down there. We complained about it and the girl did some back pedaling and tried to make it sound like it was our fault. We found out one of the other couples had the same thing happen.

Other than that, the staff there were all friendly, but could be a bit more organized. The bartenders didn’t seem to have much of a drink repertoire, but tried hard. The serving staff were often too quick about taking away your plates. Like most resorts, they are young people just trying to get ahead or make money to go to university. They aren't well paid and tips are very much appreciated.
The food was mostly pretty good tasting, but limited choices – usually just one type of salad, one type of rice, two types of meat and one dessert and then a different set of choices for supper. Breakfasts usually had scrambled eggs, some kind of meat or two, and fruit. Two or three mornings they also had omelets made to order, French toast once, and pancakes once. And fruit every morning. The was supposedly a snack at the pool bar each day to 10:00 and 3:00, but we never saw the morning one, and only got the afternoon one 3 times. Once was pizza, one was chips and salsa, and once was tuna sandwiches. Nothing too exciting.
You could have ala carte dinner twice, and except for only serving ice cream for dessert, it wasn’t bad. We only had it once though.
One major complaint was that for two days we didn't have coffee in our room because they ran out. What kind of place runs out of coffee?
And the only thing you get in your mini bar is water. No beer. No pop. Unless you want to pay extra for it.
We ended up going to “town” a few times and felt very safe. Everyone speaks English and there wasn’t much of this stuff where people are accosting you on the beach to buy stuff (definitely none of that at the resort) and in town we only came across two sets of people doing that. When you told them no, they went away. We had lunch at the Barefoot Bar a couple of times and at a little "shack" called Brenda's (very tasty). The Tutti Fruiti gelato place was awesome.

Being at such a small resort was kind of neat because you sort of recognized everyone and heard about each other’s trips, etc at the end of the day. We ended up in our room by 9:00 almost every night because there just wasn’t anything to do, but that suited us just fine.

The beach was pretty, but the water was pretty murky most of our stay because it had rained a lot the week before, so we never went in. One lady stepped on a sting ray just a foot from shore. Jellyfish season was over, so there weren't too many of them to worry about.

Another major complaint was the sand fleas. The only place they didn't seem to be biting was out at the pier bar

Despite the little inconsistencies, the 3 cloudy days and the fleas, we had a pretty good time.

For coming home, be prepared for schedule changes, but that has nothing to do with the resort.

I think this place is going to improve over the next couple of years and is going to be booming in a few.

Room Tip: The Ocean View room was lovely. Glad we didn't spend the extra to get the suite though. Make sur...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LandDMal
Julia291977, Guest Relations Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and fair description of our resort. Since the time you have left we have hired two more senior bartenders who are working to train our newer bartenders that had recently be promoted just before your stay with us. We are very happy you enjoyed your overall stay.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

My college class of 36 people had booked a week long "all inclusive" package through Sunwing to this resort. I put all inclusive in quotations because it was pretty much HALF INCLUSIVE. Breakfast was only served until 9:00 a.m. daily, and lunch began at 12:30. If you are on vacation you do not want to be waking up super early to eat - you want to relax and sleep in! Needless to say, the majority of us did not make it to breakfast. Not a complete disappointment since the breakfast was horrendous the few times any of us did make it there. Runny cheesey scrambled eggs (I love scrambled eggs with cheese, but not runny!), disgusting chicken sausage with no other options to eat. Lunch and dinner daily consisted of some type of chicken and rice (occasionally potatoes. Again, no selection)

I am used to resorts having a 24/7 snack bar. This resort does not have that. If you miss a meal you are literally out of luck until the next meal. Either you wait, or you pay for a meal at the lobby bar/restaurant. This is why I say it is half inclusive.

The trip from Toronto - Cozumel - Belize City - Placencia was a very long one. The whole day took us 12 hours of travel (including the time you have to wait at the airport for international departures) By the time we arrived at the resort we just wanted to settle into our rooms and change into some shorts, but we were forced to wait around for an hour and a half for an orientation that seemed pretty useless as it was pretty much "this isn't included, and neither is this, nor is this..." Definitely not a good start to my trip.

The resort itself was very nice. Very clean. The staff was friendly for the most part. Alex at the pool bar was an excellent bar tender, and Alfredo is an wonderful helper for the food and restaurant staff.

For a group of 36 tourism management college students this was not a good experience. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, despite how much fun I had in Placencia. The locals were really friendly and I never once felt threatened while off of the resort. (I would never leave the resort in the Dominican Rep or Mexico! No way!)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Cassie B
Julia291977, General Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

It's unfortunate for us that you did not enjoy your stay. The package that your group traveled on included 3 meals with snacks. The reason we have the orientation is to make everyone aware of what is included in the package including the scheduled times for meals. Although, some guests prefer waking up later on vacation there are also guests who wake up very early. We try to accommodate everyone by having breakfast available until about 9:00 and serve snacks at 10 am for those that may have missed breakfast. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the eggs and chicken sausage. The food we provide is mostly organic and does not have artificial flavoring and\or seasoning which may be a cause for your dissatisfaction with those specific items. I do understand that this may have not been your ideal vacation, being that our bar and restaurants are not open 24/hours a day like resorts in other countries. This is why we provided your group with access to our transportation for late nights off the resort, as well as to the neighboring community. Even though we were not able to meet your expectations for your class trip we are happy that you enjoyed and felt safe in our piece of paradise on the Peninsula.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

I booked a ocean front villa through bookit.com and when I arrived they said I hadn't "confirmed the reservation" although I had a confirmation number. So no ocean front villa where available and so I was put in a regular villa and about two hours later was told I'd have to move again because the owners of that villa were coming in and needed it. Once I finally got a room I went and bought groceries because the room had a full kitchen. When I got back and unpacked I noticed the kitchen had no pots and pans and two plates, two bowls and two sets of utencils although a dining table was for four. When I called the front desk they said you have to pay $200 deposit and a fee for pots and pans.

The pool was very nice but the resort only has about 20 chairs around the pool so for 3 days no seats were available at all throughout the day. Last comment don't forget to bring you kids by the pond. You can walk right up to the pond and not see any signs or warnings that they have a 6 foot alligator that lives there.

Room Tip: I'd recommend calling the hotel before you book and confirming your room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mike m
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We staid for 2 weeks Dec 10-24/2012, traveled with Sunwing (all-inclusive), came to dive & relax, and we had a great time.

The good:
* the flight from Belize to Placentia was great: beautiful view of Belize and a very smooth ride in a tiny plane.
* beautiful, clean & large hotel rooms in white cosy villas with comfortable king size bed, spacious bathroom with immaculate towels; no malfunctions during our 2 weeks stay.
* gorgeous infinity pool with salt water, water always warm, kept in good condition.
* good service provided by all the staff.
* the location of the pier restaurant had a fantastic view over the ocean and the hotel surroundings: surrounded by water, with lots of spade & bone fish approaching the pond to get food or ... out of curiosity :-)
* a la carte: twice a week was good.

Could be improved:
* the buffet food: if you are on a diet, this is the right spot, no sarcasm in this remark. We were use to the all inclusive in Mexico and worried about packing a few extra pounds after this vacation. Not the case here. More variety will keep more customers coming back though.
* storage space for luggage in the room: this hotel caters more to the shorter stays. I had to live out of my luggage for 2 weeks, as the space was barely enough for 1 person (I left it to my husband).

Recommend:
* diving with Avadon Divers - very professional crew
* cocktails: mojitos, Horney Monkey, Dirty Banana
* some of a la carte meals:
desert: tres leches
main course: the steak
* go for a bike ride - provided by the hotel (45 min one way)/ take a cab ($25 USD one way) to Placentia Village to experience the food at Bistro Restaurant, grab a drink and enjoy a dance at Bare Foot Bar, or a refreshing ice cream at Tutti Frutti.

Suggest:
* pack the bug repellent (green coloured Off spray) for the sand flies or smarter, get the 36 hrs patches from a drug store before you travel to Belize.

Note: the beach is beatiful, well manicured every day, but the water is not the best, too many jelly fish in the shallow water.

All in all a good experience, I will come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: I suggest taking the ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Camelia R
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed here back in November for our honeymoon. We had a very nice visit and couldn't have been happier with our stay. The grounds were immaculate, the staff were very friendly and helpful and we have no complaints whatsoever. We got to spend time talking with the manager, the bar tenders and overall found the staff to be very personable. We loved the beach, We didn't really go into the beach at the resort very much bc we spent a lot of time out and about, though the beach was fine (a little cloudy, but you really have to be super picky to make an issue out of it). I can't eat gluten and the kitchen worked with me on that. We were there for 8 days and after the first day everybody knew about my dietary restrictions and it was not a problem. That really helped to make our trip stress free.

A tip for those who don't want to stay at the resort all day every day. The resort is a little far from the town, so rent a golf cart! We had plenty of freedom to go and do what we pleased and didn't have to wait on anybody else's time table.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Whitney2012
Julia291977, General Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to to provide us with this positive feedback. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We work very hard to make everyone's stay an enjoyable one, and your comments will encourage our team members to continually strive for excellence.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Fabulous location and a resort with lots to offer but they don't really make it easy for you to get around although the staff would like to help. You are 25 minutes away from the village which has better deals on snorkeling trips and other tours. Rooms great! Pool fabulous! But take water shoes because the pathes that take you from place to place are often water covered. Food was okay but nothing special. Really friendly staff but alot of young and inexperienced workers. Great location for meals out on the pier though.
We went with Sunwing under the guise of an 'all inclusive resort' but you had to pay to use the tennis courts or the gym, and the trips offered through the hotel were more than double what you would pay through local operators in town. And there was nothing organized for activity other than some Karaoke on a couple of nights but we had no idea it was coming up and it came so late in the evening that we missed it! Thankfully our family is resourceful and can also entertain themselves so we still had a good time!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family