“Lousy beach...dredging happens and messes the beauty”

The Placencia Hotel and Residences
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
toronto
“Lousy beach...dredging happens and messes the beauty”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Spent 7 nights at this hotel...food is good, rooms really nice, staff ver nice, but the beach is rotten...you must spend money and GO OUT OF THE AREA TO ENJOY NICE BEACHES, or go on excursions...this is not the place for you if you're on a shoe string budget...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank e m
ThePlacenciaHotel, Public Relations Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Good afternoon.
We are not sure of the reason to post pictures as hold as 2012, belonging to another property, see the time imprint . Just for information the project has been completed over a year ago, and this false information will not help the traveler but just mislead them.

If you have ever been to our property and you have found something so offensive as to post pictures that are outdated and of the adjoining property, we are very sorry and hope you will have a better experience next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Shelby Township, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and i stayed at The Placencia last week. The staff greeted us with frozen drinks and a warm welcome. Our room was not ready yet upon check in so we ate a late lunch and met the head chef! The food was absolutely delicious, we only ate one meal away from the resort the whole week because we went to the village. Try the fresh fish and shrimp, absolutely spectacular! They also grow fresh veggies/herbs (and maybe fruit too) on site in their organic garden. Everything tastes so fresh. The staff was extremely friendly and always ready to serve food or cocktails or answer your questions. I have never experienced a place where all the staff was sincerely and genuinely nice! The pool, grounds, and beach are absolutely stunning, the online pictures don't really do them justice. The photos I took with my iphone have impressed our family and friends. We WILL be back and there is no reason to find another resort to stay in! This is the perfect vacation with beautiful scenery, sun, fun and relaxing! We actually liked this better than our honeymoon a year ago in Hawaii! Thank you Placencia Hotel for a fabulous vacation!

Room Tip: Any room is probably nice. The junior suite pretty small but if you don't mind it's not bad...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Natalie L
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at the placencia hotel for 4 nights. Don't book junior suite. It is the smallest room I have ever seen. There was no microwave, only one chair to sit in, no mini bar, and our porch light turned the light on 3 rooms down. This hotel is 13 miles from the village. Customer service was the worst. It is almost like the staff is not allowed to interact with you. It did have a beautiful pool. I didn't come to Belize to hang at a pool. The ocean is super gross at this resort. Beaches further down seemed much better. Did not get anything about Belize from this resort. Would never recommend it. Should have gone home 4 days early instead of spending money on this place.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Laynaetch
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Ocean, pool, grounds are all very nice. The front of the house staff average at best. Wrong room to start with and waited ALL day for upgrade only to have the front desk manager leave at 4 PM and tell no one, most importantly us. I would not come back after that experience. The food was good and Laurent was very nice to speak with. We did enjoy the wait and bar staff very much. Again the reception was extremely poor and so was their ability to solve the wrong room issue. This was OUR TIME and it seems to me that they took THEIR TIME to get things correct.

1 Thank Matthew E
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Placencia is at the epicenter of an amazing luxury vacation. The property is very beautiful, well kept, and very private. The Food is excellent and the Chef is first class! The Pool is the largest that I have ever seen in any development and it's located right behind a well-groomed beach. Plus, you are able to swim right up to the bar & order your favorite drink or something to eat, while listening to tropical rhythms. The Staff wear friendly smiles and are always ready to make your stay as pleasant as can be…At night the property transforms into a romantic paradise and we felt very safe & secure. Our experience was like a second honeymoon for my wife & I, and the kids didn't want to leave. We look forward to returning to this wonderful establishment very soon and sharing it with our dear friends.

2 Thank MD F
Belize City, Belize
Reviewed 17 March 2014

March 9th is a public holiday and my husband and I decided to spend the 3 day weekend in beautiful Placencia. We are Belizeans living in Belize City and like to do "getaway" weekends with our two kids (2 & 6 years old). Both kids love the beach and especially Placencia. We have had great experiences at Robert's Grove and Ranguana on previous visits to the peninsula and decided to give the Placencia a try.

I contacted The Placencia via telephone to inquire into accommodations. The male receptionist told me he would have to get back to me since he had to check on the availability of a two bedroom unit. He took my information promising to call me back shortly; the entire day when by and I received no call from him. Not having the time to do the back and forth, I delegated the task of booking us a hotel for the weekend to my husband. He called the Placencia on a number of occasions, provided them with our information but kept being told that they would call him back. None of his calls were returned.

On the Friday before our weekend trip, I once again called the Placencia to inquire whether we had or did not have a reservation with them. The gentleman on the phone (the same one that had taken my number previously and never called back) could not provide that very simply piece of information. He once again took my number and said he would get back to me. Needless to say, he did not call back. Later that day, I went on the Placencia's website and sent them an email telling them how unprofessional they were and indicating that I was no longer interested in their accommodations.

There are a number of "foreign-owned or managed" resorts like the Placencia that treat Belizean guests differently than they treat foreign guests. Apparently, the only Belizeans at their establishments should be the ones on the clock. The Placencia's staff behaved as if we were asking for free lodging with their "don't call us, we'll call you" attitude. They were rude and condescending and most of all, very unprofessional. The Placencia will never get any business from me and I encourage others, especially Belizeans, to stay away from businesses that treat Belizeans like second-rate guests.

9 Thank Agnes S
florida
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Certainly The Placencia Hotel is gorgeous with phenomenal grounds and to-die-for swimming pool and beach, you will love your stay there. This review has more to do with their incredible FOOD. The restaurant at the hotel has the most amazing food and if you haven't tried it yet, just GO! The new chef "Laurent" is absolutely one of the finest chefs on the peninsula. I had heard many people mention this incredible chef and we went and tried it for ourselves, well it DID NOT disappoint. The food was as fresh as you can get, delicious AND the presentation was beyond 5*. Laurent went out of his way to please you and we cannot recommend this restaurant enough. I would have placed this review in the restaurant section of the thread but decided to do it here first. Enjoy your amazing meal. All the other reviews were "right on" !!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank robynne61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Robert's Grove Beach Resort
#3 of 19 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to The Placencia Hotel and Residences? Share your experiences!