“We stayed one night, wish we could have stayed longer!!!!”
Review of Belize Ocean Club

Belize Ocean Club
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Booked our last night of a moorings charter here and we deligthed by the room to die for for :), The pool out of a photo shoot!!!! The beach out of a dream and the staff not letting you want for anything!!!!! We will be recommending this resort to EVERYONE!!!! and we will be back for at least a one week stay :))))

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CANADIANOntario

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The Belize Ocean Club was disappointing in my experience. The staff was really, really good but like someone else here commented, they "don't have enough to work with." First, the location is quite far from the closest town of Placencia - a 25-minute car ride. They have a shuttle into town but it only goes four times a day, at intervals of three-four hours. So, if you are interested in seeing the town or having a meal there, or drinks in the evening, it's inconvenient. You are really here and only here, if that makes sense. Secondly, while you're here, the beach is very small, and on both ends of the hotel property it is not passable, so there is no "walking on the beach" in front of the report. Finally, the pool was not very clean, neither hot-tub was working at all (was same exact temp as the pool), and drinks from the beachfront bar weren't very good.

A separate thing to know is that there is a huge public "party" at the pool every Sunday (anyone can drop by - you don't have to be a hotel guest ... Not great if you're there for R&R) with a DJ blasting music like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera - ugh, it was not my style at all as I just wanted to lie in the sun in peace and quiet and read my vacation book. If I wanted a pool party with random strangers and a DJ playing teeny-bop music from 2007/2008, I'd fly to Las Vegas for $150 and go to one there. Families with children and those needing quiet R&R need to know this is what their Sunday will look like here. I spent the afternoon in my room, highly frustrated and with earplugs in trying to drown out the DJ.

On the positive side, the rooms were new and huge, with kitchens and nice patios. I should also reiterate that the staff was phenomenal. I just really didn't enjoy my stay and think anyone looking to visit Placencia and possibly stay here deserves to know my experience. Placencia is wonderful and I highly recommend it (phenomenal scuba and snorkeling!!) and the people are wonderful, warm and friendly. I also had some great meals in the downtown area. But I wouldn't stay here either as a family or as a couple (I was traveling alone). It really wasn't a great experience for me.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank TravelKix2014
AJ B, General Manager at Belize Ocean Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Our resort is a 15-20min drive from Placencia but many people prefer to have the privacy that Belize Ocean Club offers over some other resorts. Our beach is 430feet long, which is one of the three largest beaches out of all Placencia's hotels. You can walk both North and South from the property along the coast, as many other guests have written about.

Our pool is one of the main features of the resort and we are very meticulous in it's upkeep. We do not have any hot tubs - the two smaller pools either side of the main pool are designed to be small pools and not hot tubs.

I am sorry that you did not like the drinks at the bar. We have an extensive cocktail list and our bar staff are some of the best in the country and several of them are professionally trained mixologists. We use ingredients from our on-site fruit and herb garden to ensure the best quality and utmost freshness.

Between 12noon and 5.30pm on Sunday afternoon we do have a weekly pool party, as many people have made positive comments on. For six and a half days per week the resort is calm, peaceful and relaxing and it is only Sunday afternoon that it gets lively. We are open to locals but they do have to pay to come in and we have recently increased the minimum spend. We realise that the pool party may not be for everyone and we can always arrange a free shuttle to the village or another tour or excursion such as snorkelling or a half-day trip to Monkey River for any guests. People of all ages do enjoy the pool party and we always have many families.

Given the fact that you thought our staff were phenomenal and our rooms new and huge it is disappointing that you have only given such a low rating. Thank you for your feedback anyway and happy travels.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Welcome drinks and cool hand towels met my arrival at the outdoor front desk (Elenor Jackson is the lovely lady who ran the front desk so efficiently but more about that later!). Belize Ocean Club understands the need to chill out for a moment upon arrival, so the drink and towel were really appreciated. The staff is everywhere - so you never have to look for someone to help you - and are all extremely friendly and talkative. The beautiful pool and swim up bar are the center of the hotel which has both a beach side and a bay side, and my fabulous room was on the top floor corner which overlooked the pool and ocean - it was ridiculously spacious - two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room, large dining room/table to seat six - and I was one person! The space felt wonderful - being able to spread out was divine. The patio is large - enough to bring 5 or more people out there easily - to sit and have drinks at night and enjoy that ocean breeze. The A/C was cold and delicious in my room, and really needed as the heat and humidity in Belize can wreck a girl's hair in 2 seconds. Forget your make-up ladies, all you need is sunscreen.
The owner of the BOC, Ben Mason, wants to cater to his guests so they have a great holiday. He really cares about the BOC and the guests' experience and was always visible around the property. You'll notice him because he's the only one without mosquito bites or a tan. Great guy!

The lagoon part of BOC has the Lagoon Restaurant that is not only amazing because of the location (we sat on the deck overlooking the bay and watching the sun set with tiki torches lighting the way down to the boat dock area - seriously like a postcard). The food at the restaurant was FABOOOOOO! I had lobster - and what came out of the kitchen was around the size of a VW Jetta. This lobster was HUGE and so well prepared, my side dishes were great (what I had I can't recall now because the wine was also very good!!!!). It's romantic, it's charming, it's an experience you need to have. There are other restaurants on the island which I ate at, but then after eating at the Lagoon Restaurant I regretted going elsewhere to eat. The service was top-notch, the food was delicious, and the view of the Maya Mountains during sun set is really special.

One quick note - Elenor Jackson is the bomb of Front Desk agents! I screwed up my return flight on the puddle jumper and panicked, but Elenor quickly stepped in - called them while I had something to eat and packed - and she rearranged my flight, emailing me the details and handling everything quickly and relieving me of having to deal with any stress at the end of my stay at Belize Ocean Club. I really appreciated her help - and the other staff who are also at the desk are all terrific. You're in great hands.

I will definitely be returning to BOC - and I learned they are opening a resort in the rainforest which looks incredible (brochures are in the rooms). That would be my next visit! Check out their site as I think they have other properties in other countries too all owned by the same person which is nice, so you know you'll be getting the same service wherever you go.

Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great - I always recommend an ocean view. There are ground floor rooms, so if you'...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank GirlGoneMild
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We recently returned from a 1 week stay here, we had 2 rooms to accommodate our family of five. We traveled with our children and reserved the two bedroom suites overlooking the ocean. The hotel is very new, clean and safe. You get full American TV with all the channels you can imagine and free running WiFi. There is an ocean side that holds a beach volleyball net, large pool, bar (swim up as well) seating areas for breakfast and lunch and bathrooms.The ocean water is warm and swimmable and we did snorkel but it is not a snorkel spot. We collected shells and saw small fish, there is a lot of sea grass too. Also paddle boards, kayaks, hammocks and plenty of lounge chairs with umbrellas. You then walk across a tiny road to the lagoon side that holds an amazing restaurant for dinner and a dock. This property is not "under construction" but they are planning to add a pier and a spa in the near future. Room service is quick and they even supply rafts for the pool ( or you can bring your own). Even if you are not a hotel guest and choose to stay at another hotel near bye you can pool crash for the day here and actually we found that most of the hotels in the area allow anyone to come and enjoy their property for the day. This was a great way to meet people and we really enjoyed it. Literally from the time you check in the service here is beyond your expectations. The hotel employes a large staff and you never go unnoticed, even by the owner who holds residence there. The bartenders at the pool bar including Sammy, Pinky and Charlie are so incredible and friendly, they brought much laughter and great stories to us and our kids. The hotel is about 15 minuets from town ( which is very small) and you need some sort of transportation. Either car or golf cart, we drove in from Belize City international airport and it is about a 3.5 hour drive but it is safe and easy to navigate. If I were to do it again I would take the puddle jumper from Belize City airport to the Placentia air strip and rent my car through a local Placentia car rental agency. It is nice to have a vehicle and not a golf cart (in my option) since there is so much exploring to do in this area and some things are hours away. We did the cave tubing and ATV'ing in Jaguar Paw and also the Monkey River tour and Manatee watch. We explored the Belize Zoo and it was amazing! The food in this area is first class and the restaurants are incredible. The food at the hotel is very good and not over priced. Excursions are expensive and I would recommend driving into town to negotiate rates and then drive yourself to the excursion location rather then getting picked up by tour operators. Placentia is a remote area and can be quiet or you can party a bit (but not too crazy). The hotel rooms all have a full kitchen with large balconies as well, we went during the rainy season and the mosquitoes and sand flies are so out of control, I can't believe they do not spray this heavy tourist area, that is my only complaint and for this reason alone I would not return to this area again in the Summer time. We got eaten alive!!! Even through our clothes with bug repellant on! We had to see the local doctor in town for antibiotics for an ear infection and we even had a great experience there as well. Great local art and home made ice cream in town along with coffee shops and fabulous dining. You must try the Lion Fish sashimi in town as well at a place called "Bone Fish" just to say you ate it. Our favorite meals however were at our hotel restaurant and a place called "The Bistro", which is walking distance. We also visited other hotels in the area even "Turtle Beach" and the "Belize Ocean Club" is by far the place to stay, you will not be disappointed.

Placentia (everyone we met did it this way).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank MichPz
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We only visited the Ocean Club for the day to use the pool but what a great day! First of all, I think it is great that the hotel let you use their pool even if you aren't staying at the resort. We were welcomed from the minute we arrived outside the hotel by the CEO. He was extremely nice and pointed us in the right direction to the pool. The pool is amazing! It's huge and there's a swim up bar which is just perfect. The hotel even let us use their kayaks and paddleboards. On top of all of this, the service was absolutely fantastic. Jason is a credit to the company and made our group feel extremely welcome. He even created us some special cocktails which were very tasty! Overall we had a lovely time and we all think Jason deserves a promotion! Great day!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank christie_donald
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Beautiful setting. The hotel provide paddle boards and kayaks to use at your leisure which is lovely. The pool is gorgeous and all staff are friendly, attentive and helpful. In particular we thought Jason was fantastic and portrayed the perfect balace of professionalism and warmth - a real asset to the hotel! Hotel is about 25 minutes out of the town so more suited for relaxation.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Laurenlch
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were treated to spacious, very comfortable two-bedroom suite with ceiling fans and air-conditioning, full kitchenette & lovely bathrooms with jacuzzi tub + balconies. This property is situated perfectly with both beach side + lagoon side rooms, relaxing beach loungers, sexy beach beds, and a pool with swim up bar right against the ocean located along the lovely north end near Maya Beach (which has one of the best restaurants and alcohol/wine selection in the area as well- Maya Beach Bistro). The staff on both sides of the property treated our group very well. Sundays are pool party nights where the locals come and party along with the hotel guests. CEO/Ben Mason recommended an amazing jungle hike day at the nearby banana farms private waterfall hike/property, where we swam various levels of the gorgeous falls, even jumping off tier three! Such a relaxing place. I would certainly plan another trip to BOC. I definitely recommend a stay at this property.

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings farthest away from the pool are quieter. Great beach views from any room you cho...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
Hopkins Bay, a Muy'Ono Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 14 in Hopkins

Been to Belize Ocean Club? Share your experiences!