“Be vary wary before you stay. New owner made it into partytown”
Review of Maya Breeze Inn

Maya Breeze Inn
Ranked #24 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
Hamden, Connecticut
“Be vary wary before you stay. New owner made it into partytown”
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This was our 2nd time at Maya Breeze and we won't be coming back. The first time we stayed at the Breeze it was perfect. Quiet on the beach and not a lot of people. We booked again knowing it had a new owner and he was adding a swimming pool which we were looking forward too. We had no idea he built a bar near our cabin. (we stayed in cabin A again) When we checked in the manager said, "I hope you don't mind the noise from the bar?" The bar is really close to all the cabins near the water and we weren't the only people complaining.

It was all downhill from there. Don't try and sit on the beach after noon with loud music playing. In the evening the music and people at the bar were loud enough to keep us up past midnight.
Plenty of drunk people and smoking weed.

The staff was excellent all around. Most of the same people from our first visit in 2007.

Now if you want a noisy bar near your cabin until the wee hours this place is for you. We were very disappointed and won't be coming back. Stay at Singing Sands or Maya Beach for the same $$ without the riffraff or noise.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The noisy bar scene until the wee hours.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Violetta M, Owner at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2015
Be wary but consider reconsidering! we are the new, new owner and would like to re-invite you back to the Maya Breeze. We would also like to thank you for sharing your comments with the Trip Adviser Community! We promise that we will consider all of our customers comments and will constantly be looking for ways to improve the stay of our patrons.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Pacific NW
Reviewed 13 December 2008

We just came back from Placencia, and stayed at the Maya Breeze for seven days, before switching hotels. I would have to agree with most of the recent posters that the staff is good, but the bar scene literally forced us to move. I had checked some of the hotels at Placencia on T.A. but for some reason missed reading these reviews. I had contacted a local travel agent who did not warn us away from the M.B. I. and wonder why she didn't at least tell me to read the reviews first, as it is well known by many on the peninsula that the bar scene here is quite "over the top".

The hotel manager (not the current owner who is discussed in these ratings) picked us up on time at the airport and David was a great support through the week. Our cabin (A) was clean and comfortable. The first night however, the bar stayed open and loud way too late, and allowed any and all comers from the area to hangout and drink until they were drunk. I mentioned it to the owner the next day, and he was apologetic. They did try and keep the music down late, but the rooms are very close to the bar and pool, so you hear everything going on out there. We did not hear or see any drugs, as mentioned by one reviewer.

The hotel staff made great breakfasts, got us great trips to the jungle with quality tour groups, and helped us immensely. The owner took us out on his boat at one point, and we had a good time with him and his girl friend at a local Caye.

Since it's been mentioned already in other posts, I feel worth mentioning that we didn't see the owner drink, in fact he only drank non alcoholic drinks in our presence, but he was not present at the bar to control the noise levels, nor some of the drunks that stayed late.

Finally, after a late night altercation at the bar that we felt came very close to a fight, (this started at 11:30 and ended at around 1:30) we chose to pack our bags and move down the beach to another hotel that was much more suited to a middle aged couple looking for R&R.

We agree that it's a shame that the hotel seems like a good value, and hopefully the owner(s) can turn it around. A good starting point would be to close the bar to all but guests at 8 or 9. We did meet some really nice locals who drink there, and we ourselves drink so it wasn't just the bar scene, it was the late night part of it, the usual late night drunks that almost any bar can attract, in addition to the noise levels. It's too bad that the bar couldn't be setup on the road, since they do own the property across the road.

We would recommend this hotel only to 20 to 30 year olds that are looking to party and drink into the night.

• Liked — Room was ok, staff was very accomodating, breakfasts great.
  • Disliked — Bar scene needs control and needs to close earlier. Too many non guests. Security is compromised.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Violetta M, Owner at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2015
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. The Maya Breeze is proud to be under new ownership and management and is sorry to hear that your last trip to this great location was not up to your expectation. We now have a quiet time that includes the Tiki bar, so that all of our guests can be assured a restful and relaxing vacation with us.
Virginia
Reviewed 6 November 2008

After several months of planning our vacation get away we choose Placencia Belize since our friends views were truly amazing and wonderful all I wanted and dreamed of was the nice warm crunchy sand and a nice tan the Caribbean way! My friends highly recommended Maya Breeze Inn since they had a wonderful stayed and raved about the wonderful staff and great location. We made reservation and were looking forward a great worry free relaxing get away.
My vacation at Maya Breeze Inn was the worst nightmare ever! The Front Desk were very accommodating but the drunken owner was another story when I complained about the loud music to the Front Desk attendant I clearly heard Dax the owner telling the girl to switch us over to the hotel rooms across if we were bother it was his placed and he did as he please, and if we were not satisfied to go somewhere else. We stayed in cabin A the very first one very close to the bar, that was just a part of my commencing nightmare. I went to the pool to relax and next thing I know is am been sexually harassed by Dax drunken friend and after that it was all hell there was a fierce fight between the cook the owner and friend we checked out the following day and was so glad to get far away as possible from Maya Breeze Inn am still haunted by the horrible nightmare. I would never recommend this place to no one since drugs and partying is its major attraction. My friends are still shocked and feel compromised since they assured and raved so much about Maya Breeze Inn I can still taste the bitterness in my mouth!

• Liked — Front Desk
  • Disliked — Loud music and insecurity
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pondskater
Violetta M, Owner at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review the Maya Breeze. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We are under new ownership and management. We have addressed the Quiet time issue, the bar patrons and fired staff. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed.” If you come back to The Maya Breeze Inn I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best. -Violetta M
washington state
Reviewed 25 August 2008

We were looking for a place to relax and soak in Maya Beach and unfortunately Maya Breeze Inn provided exactly the opposite. Every night we were kept awake until an average time of 3:00am by the radio playing "just another gringo in belize" excessively loud and the poolside bar participants talking even louder so they can hear each other over the music.

It is unfortunate that Maya Breeze Inn has become a local party place. Not that we have a previous experience with Maya Breeze Inn but from the sounds of it, Maya Breeze Inn has not always been this way. The pool was installed earlier this year, as was the poolside bar, and I believe this is what has brought about the changes in atmosphere.

We stayed in room C and were assured it had a ocean view....needless to say you can not see the ocean nor can you even hear it during the night over the pool side bar. We had dead cockroaches in our kitchen cabinets, live ones every night in the bathroom, and a huge lizard or something crawling in our ceiling two nights. We tolerated the music by laying restless in our bed the first two nights. The third night I had enough at 2am and finally went out to ask the owner to turn the music down. They obliged by saying we were wrapping the night up anyways...not a "sorry about that" or "we apologize for the inconvenience", etc...

The ladies that worked there were very nice and friendly and a pleasure to work with. The other staff was friendly as well. One of our “guides” had a diesel motor that leaked oil and we smelled that for 3 hours each way on our drive to the zip line. We both got a little sick and I think it was from the exhaust (carbon monoxide poisoning possibly). If you smell oil when you get in a rig and its going to be a long drive, I would suggest getting out and asking for someone else or planning a different trip.

As for trips I highly suggest the jaguar preserve with river tubing through the jungle and waterfall adventures. The zip line was great but make sure you combine it with something else as the 6 hr total drive time is too much for just the zip line.

In summary…I would not suggest maya breeze inn unless you want a place to party on the beach. I am sorry to say it but we would not stay there again and I am very disappointed with our experience at Maya Breeze Inn.

• Liked — front desk staff was great
  • Disliked — late nights partying by the owner...loud music that kept us up until 4am
4 Thank pwoens
Caribbeangial, New Manager at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this review, 4 November 2008
Management apologizes to the visitor who accordingly was disturbed during nights they were accomodated by us. However, viewers must be aware that the Inn has not become a local place for partying. In addition, the liquor license policy states a specific time for closing which has been respected by this business. Furthermore, with regards to 'guides', our staff may book/confirmed tours upon the request of our visitors. Yet again, they have the option of choosing their own guides at their expense. In this case, they took the risk and select a guide who was inadequate. The Inn is not to take any responsibility for their discomfort.
washington state
Reviewed 23 August 2008

My husband and I chose this place last minute when Singing Sands decided to close for a few months (we had reservations to stay there). I chose it because it also had cabana's on the beach and a freshwater pool.

I will say that the ladies working in the office/kitchen are very nice and accomodating, and the staff was nice. However we had problems which I will explain that would prevent us from ever returning.

I was told that we could see the beach from our porch in unit C, however, if you stand in the middle of the porch and look out you see a bushy plant and not the beach. The beach can be see by standing at the very edge of the porch or on the steps and looking out. So we never used the hammock on the porch due to no views. The room was basically clean other than the few dead cockroaches we found in the cupboard (we didn't cook there anyway so this didn't matter).

The pool and beach bar are nice, however I found myself never really wanting to sit out by the pool as it was typically being used by staff or other other people just stopping by to use it. I would have loved to just lay out by the pool but just didn't feel comfortable doing so (especially with the pool bar crowd). The beach bar definately attracts people from all over. It is open to the public, which is fine, if it was limited to reasonable hours and noise levels. However, the four nights we stayed there were basically sleepless due to the music being played at very loud levels until 3-4 in the morning. The third night my husband finally went out at 2am and asked that they turn down the music (which they did, but this should not have been necessary). This is just bad customer service if you are keeping up your guests all night. It o appears the owner is satisfying his own need to party to the detriment of his guests. He is a nice enough person, but it is sad because he does drink all day and night.

So, needless to say we did not find this to be the relaxing environment we had hoped and were very disappointed with these accomodations. We will not go back there and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a peaceful, quite place to stay on the beach.

• Liked — nice ladies working at front desk/kitchen area
  • Disliked — excessively loud music until unreasonable hours of the morning at the beach bar
3 Thank alynn08
12272008
Reviewed 10 August 2008

We just came back from Placencia, and need to report that the Maya Breeze is no longer owned by Buddy and Teresa - to the extreme detriment of the resort. Instead, the owner is a man who is there 6 months of the year (in the US the other 6), the other 6 months leaving his nearly always drunk brother in charge. Although the hotel itself is pretty and in a lovely spot with a nearly new pool and beach bar, those areas are full night and day with the hotel staff - also all drunk. From the bartender to the cook to the maintenance man and owner's brother, as the afternoon and evening (and early morning - one day till 5:30 AM) drags on, the music gets louder and louder and the party rages on. The employees shower right on the beach in full view of the world - shampoo and all - and the drugs are barely concealed. This is so very much NOT Maya Beach-like. When we were there, the front desk clerk - who chose not to be part of the party - quit in frustration with this ongoing situation.

It's a shame to see this cute little place have this issue, as their reputation before this was stellar. But after a week of this going on 20 hours a day, NO THANK YOU! Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else if you want the "normal" Placencia Maya Beach experience. You definitely won't find it here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Drunk crowd
3 Thank 12272008
Violetta M, Owner at Maya Breeze Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2015
Thank you very much for taking the time to express to the Trip Adviser community what your experience was. The Maya Breeze Inn is now under new management and ownership but still respects the history and previous comments that have taken place over multiple years and ownerships and would like to keep that line of communication open. Our new management is dedicated to catering to the individual needs of every single one of our guests; and are very sad to hear that you did not have a good stay at the Maya Breeze. We would like to invite you to come back during your next stay in Belize as will guarantee that none of our staff will be showering out in the open, soap or no soap!
ohio
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I can honestly say that this vacation was an amazing adventure. My sister decided to get married at Maya Breeze Inn right on the beach and boy was it ever so beautiful. The hotel staff was amazing with all the help and organizing of the wedding decorations and of course they made the cake! I enjoyed my visit here with my daughter Jenny we had an amazing time. Ginger and Jenny

• Liked — The beach at your feet
  • Disliked — The unpredictable weather
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family