Seaspray Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Turtle Inn(Placencia)
US$406
  • Breakfast included
Paradise Vacation Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
US$152
Maya Beach Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
US$201
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
Singing Sands Inn(Placencia)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssea sprayde tatcheconomy roomcheap roomprivate balconyceiling fangreat budget hotelsmall kitchenetteoffice stafftipsy tunasecond floor balconywithin walking distanceper nightbeach chairsfull size fridgeking bedhot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We spent 2 weeks at the Seaspray, 1 week in the seaside cabana(room 14) & the 2nd in room 21(Seaview II). The cabana was quite an experience, the advantages are that we were right on the beach and it comes with a 2 burner hotplate, microwave, fridge & kitchenware to cook & eat with. The hammock and plastic love seat on the front deck are great to just hang out in the shade, read, play cards, meet the other guests or just marvel at the view. The winds pick up in the late afternoon and blow most every night which is great to cool but not at all subtle. It may be different once the trades begin which is later in april or may according to Greg at De Tach restaurant right beside the hotel.
The Cabana is not private at all so if you are seeking privacy, one of the seaview rooms has it. The solicitors can be a bit buggy on the beach every day, however, they are all very respectful and take "no thanks" for an answer and usually don't bother to ask a 2nd time.
They all seemed to be from villages further south in Belize and had the same story that they were earning money to put themselves or family members through school.
We were disturbed on a few occasions after we had gone to sleep for the night by folks talking on the beach on their way home from the bar but like I said the cabana is right on the beach and there is no glass in the windows so what happens on the beach, you can
hear very clear. We were very happy with rm 21, the view from the deck is amazing and of course private. The king bed is firm but nice, there is a recliner type bath tub, microwave & kitchenware, no A/C in this room but the one next door has it. Not sure if we saw the owners, naive of me to think that they might acknowledge guests that were staying for longer periods but I suppose you would stay at a b&b if you want to be acknowledged. When I reported that the hammock had come untied while I was in it and my elbo tested the rigidity of the ceramic tiles, the man in the office that may have been the owner had nothing to say. Verna was there most every day at the desk and Geneva most every evening. They are obliging. I think we were a rarity in that we stayed for 2 weeks as most are there for a few nights and just passing through.
The garbage which is mostly plastic that washes up on the beach every day is disturbing. Certainly not the fault of the locals. We were told that alot of it comes out of the rivers of Honduras and Guatemala and of course ships. Unfortunately there's not alot they can do with it so most of it gets buried. Placencia is a quaint little village, as safe as you might expect as long as you bring your common sense with you. Locals are friendly, the food was great at the restraunts we dined at. The sidewalk is a novel experience, very pretty walk. The development on the lagoon side of the peninsula is
obvious, it is gorgeous with new homes and buisnesses along the canal like waterway.
Dwayne and his family at Joy Tours are great. We hired him a few times for excursions, you won't be disappointed. The Monkey river jungle tour was great, we picked up our guide, Buck, at Monkey river village. The man could not be stumped.Our favorite drink in Placencia. Get yourself a container of Pineapple Squash, which is pineapple juice concentrate, we were mixing it 50/50 with water because it is so thick and pure. Get some coconut rum, both are available at the 3 grocery stores in the village.
The Belize coconut rum is the best. Get your glass all frosty and half rum half pineapple.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emackay
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We found out about this place from good friends (one of whom is a Belizean local from Monkey River) who stay here when they come down to Placencia. I stayed here with my new husband on our honeymoon in late November 2008, and what a great stay it was! I love the Seaspray. The staff is friendly and laid-back (like most Belizeans), the De'Tatch restaurant next door has great, cheap breakfasts and palapas tables right on the beach where you can kick back for hours, as well as a good, fairly cheap Internet connection. We stayed here for eight days, lounging in our hammock on our room's balcony in the morning, then eating breakfast, then transferring our lazy bones down to the beach for sunning before plotting our next moves. We even met several other guests at the hotel, who invited us to hang out with them (didn't work out) and were super-friendly. The vibe at the Seaspray is very positive but people respect your privacy, and is great for families as well. Also, everything on the beach side of Placencia is within walking distance, so we could walk to the Barefoot Beach bar to listen to music or grab a drink at night, and there are tons of different restaurants all within a five-minute walk. That also means that at night you can hear music in your hotel room, but it's really not a big deal because the sound of the ocean waves in the bathroom is so relaxing. One of the best things about the Seaspray was falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the Caribbean washing over the beach less than 40 feet from our room! Paradise!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BayAreachick9
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I thought that Sea Spray was a really nice hotel for a great price. The room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in Belize (I always travel on a budget) and the location of the hotel was very convenient. The staff was always very helpful with anything we needed. I would and probably someday will book there again.

I should note that their website is a little deceiving. We booked a room that according to their site has AC included however when we arrived we were shown a room with only fans. The desk attendant then told us that of the four rooms at that price level, only two were AC. This is not reflected on the website. It claims that all at that price level have AC with the possibility of different beds. The girl apologized for the confusion and told us that there would be plenty of breeze with the ceiling fan and standing fan and she was absolutely correct. We slept comfortably every night with just the breeze thru the windows and the fans running. I would gladly recommend staying here but I would also recommend verifying the amenities of your room if things like AC are very important to you.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 April 2008

We booked a few days at the pretty Seaspay Hotel and I guess for the money the rooms were good value. The rooms were very clean and the position by the beach was good. We had one of the more expensive rooms with a good sized balcony.
Rooms were fairly basic but had everything you needed including a welcome fridge. The next door Thatch Restaurant served great food at great prices.
The reception staff were not welcoming and guests seemed a bit of a chore, some of the recliners for the beach were falling apart. The mosquito guard on our bathroom window was missing and we were able to change rooms only to find one missing on the next room where the most of the shutters did not work.
Seems a shame that it could have been a much better experience with a little more effort.
Having said that the accommodation was good value.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank macmillanEngland
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Two best things about this hotel are its location and the fact that you don't spend much time in you room. Facilities, furnishings, and staff are unfortunately sub par.
When I booked this hotel, I wanted a beach-front location in Placencia village and good air-conditioning. However, I never expected the accommodations to be so "Spartan." Overall, this hotel reminds me of old bargain no-brand American hotels you can find at many truck stops. Rooms have two old double beds. Mattresses are one of the worst I ever slept on. Pillows are terrible too. The rest of the furniture is old and beat up. Towels are thin and grey. Bathrooms have unpleasant odor. The room does have a fridge, a microwave, coffee maker, and a fan.
Staff at this hotel is quite unfriendly. Upon our check-in I noted that the TV remote was missing. First, they argued with me that I should look harder; then provided a replacement that never worked. They looked bothered when asked for some beach towels.
On the plus side, air-conditioning worked great and was never turned off during the day. Still, if you have some cash to pair, consider alternative accommodations. If, however, you are on a tight budget, this hotel may suit you fine. Also, note that the hotel does not have a dedicated parking.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)