“Fabulous place - will be back”
Review of Chabil Mar

Chabil Mar
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Placencia is an amazing vacation destination, and Chabil Mar is the best place to stay in the area. It is a boutique hotel, so you don't get the corporate feel of a giant chain hotel. The employees are friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. They had great suggestions on activities and restaurants. The rooms are huge and clean. We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was fabulous! We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms around the smaller pool are quieter, but every room has its advantages. We stayed in a partia...
2  Thank abbedford
There are newer reviews for Chabil Mar

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed at Chabil Mar the end on November. The property is very well landscaped and beautiful. The staff was excellent and went out of their way to assist us with our requests. There is a shuttle that will take you to town in the evenings with three drop off points. This way you can can experience other restaurants in Placencia. They also will pick up up on the hour until 10:00 PM.

There is 'no restaurant' that you can sit in at Chabil Mar. They do have a restaurant that you can call for your breakfast to be served any where on the property. It can be searved out on the pier, your patio or even at the bar. The food was excellent. They also have dining at night out by the pool area.

Deshan and Darrin that work the bar were excellent bartenders. They will keep you very entertained! I will definitely be going back to Chabil Mar for another stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank domi502002
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The place was immaculate and the staff was almost psychic in their ability to serve our every want. Lacho, our shuttle driver was giving us a ride back to our hotel when the owner called his cell phone. Steve said that he liked to randomly check on his guests happiness. It was definitely random and my wife and I were a bit buzzed and more than happy to tell him our thoughts and promised to repeat them here.
We told our driver that we'd just be gone for an hour while we had dinner. Poor guy then drove around for several hours as we proceeded to make friends at several of the bars. But that was just the care they put into every part of our stay with them.
DeSean, our bartender at the Chabil Mar, took time every morning to find the best specials around town, after we told him that we like to try new food. He introduced us to the local delicacy of Gibnot (aka Royal Rat). Which he found was only being served at Wendy's: it was a bit of a cross between brown stew chicken and oxtail, and every bit as delicious as he said. I told him that I prefer my Caiprinhas without lime rinds on the first day and never had to tell him again.
The staff took our every request in stride, and even made suggestions beyond what we felt comfortable asking for. Like Lacho, they kept their distance while still making us feel that if we got drunk and fell down a well, they would be out looking for us before long.
The room was immaculate. We didn't realize that it came with a full kitchen and washer/dryer or we would have packed less. The view from our hammock on the porch was right out of a travel guide. We took a trip with Percy Gordon from barebones tours and he got us some fresh seafood, which the hotel staff kindly cooked and served to us on the pier.
We never had a bad meal and Placencia, and never felt more cared for at a resort than at Chabil Mar. By the time we went to Ambergris and the honeymoon resort part of our vacation, we were secretly a little bit let down. Don't get us wrong, that was the most beautiful and romantic spot we'd ever seen, but our next trip to Belize will be based around Placencia, Percy Gordon, and the Chabil Mar.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russ M
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I just returned to Delaware today from a week at Chabil Mar. This was our second time visiting Placencia, Belize and Chabil Mar - and even though our expectations were very high because of our first trip - somehow the staff managed to once again exceed them. We were met at the crazy cool Placencia airport by the Chabil Mar van and driver. The resort is only about 3 minutes from the airport (though oddly, I never heard a single airplane overhead while we were there) and when we pulled in, we were met with smiles and fresh fruit drinks and made to feel very special and very welcome. We stayed in Villa #15 and it was beautiful. We could see both swimming pools, the beach, the Caribbean and the pier from our balcony. We enjoyed breakfast every morning on the balcony, with a cool breeze and the amazing view. Thanks to Danny, who served us with a big smile. Chabil Mar doesn't have a restaurant, per se, but they serve you anywhere on the property that you want to eat. Our favorite spot was the end of the pier. I had the lobster thermador and Julie enjoyed the pasta primavera and it was fabulous. All of the meals we had at the resort were great but I discovered my favorite item on the menu on our last day: the Seafood Chowder. Best I have ever had. Period. We went into the village of Placencia several times and enjoyed walking down the newly remodeled sidewalk, plus the main street with shops and bars and restaurants. We love the Barefoot Bar, especially since they are now on the beach. The last time we were there they were on the main street...and their new location is much more peaceful and fitting. We ate lunch one day at the Rum Fish y Vino. We met the owner, John, who is from California. The food and drinks were great. Try the Coconut Mojito. Placencia is such a fun place to wander around in. We always felt safe, even after dark. Chabil Mar runs a shuttle to and from the village every hour on the hour in the evening and we took advantage of that, even though it was just a few minutes drive. That was also a great way to meet some of the other people staying at Chabil Mar. They way the resort is laid out, you have so much privacy that you don't actually run into other people most of the time unless you are at the bar or one of the pools....and honestly, even then we felt like we had the place to ourselves. I can't say enough about Natalie and Azalea and Althea and all the other great people who staff Chabil Mar. They go out of their way to make you feel at home, but they aren't pushy. Since we were there two years ago, we noticed many improvements including the pier is wider, the pools have been re-tiled, the bar and lounge is way bigger and upgraded with a cool waterfall and lighting, and the amount of channels of our TV was greatly expanded. Not that we watched a lot of TV. We love Chabil Mar and will be enjoying our memories and photos in the days to come.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank billsammons
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband & I stayed at the villa #1 oceanfront room at Chabil Mar from Nov. 24-29 & it was simply wonderful! Even though I'm from Hawaii, I am not really a beach person & get bored laying out for more than 2 days. However, we just wanted to chill out & escape the Chicago cold & 5 nights here was perfect...I enjoyed every relaxing moment & read 3 books!

The beach was lovely & laying out on the dock on a 90 degree day & feeling the ocean breeze & jumping off the dock was awesome! Lay out by the pool another day & jumped in the cold, refreshing pool when it got too hot. We did the snorkeling trip to Laughing Bird Caye one day (with Splash, but arranged by Chabil Mar) & loved it.

We ate about 1/2 our meals at Chabil Mar & every meal was delicious. The cocktails at the bar were also great! The places we ate in town were Wendy's (Creole food, not the US fast food chain!…it was meh), Omar's (good lobster, but no alcoholic drinks & we are lushes), De Tach (yummy breakfasts), Rumfish (great!), but our favorite was Secret Garden. We also hung out at the beachside bars Tipsy Tuna & Barefoot Bar, which served up strong, cheap drinks - try the panty-ripper!

The room was really clean, nice, spacious, great water pressure in the shower & the A/C was clutch b/c it could get really hot outside. Loved the kitchen completely stocked w/ silverware, drink ware, coffee maker & fridge. I rented a bike & bought a ton of beer & snack to stock the fridge. It was also great having a washer/dryer in the room so we could do laundry & not have to pack much stuff b/c of that. I loved our private deck with hammock that overlooked the ocean - we spent sooo much time on the deck reading & drinking & talking. But what struck me the most was the staff. Every single person we encountered was so nice & friendly, without being overbearing. Special thanks to Lacho, who was so cute & smiley & who picked us up & dropped us off at the airport & drove us into town almost every night, always with a huge smile on his face.

We've done a lot of international traveling & Belize is the only country we've returned to. Chabil Mar was the best place we stayed at in Belize. Much thanks to all the staff for a wonderful vacation!

3  Thank TX_Longhorn99
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My Husband and I stayed for the week of thanksgiving at Chabil Mar (11-23 to 11-30). We stayed in the "larger" Ocean front Villa on the 2nd floor (villa #20) and it was perfect. The Villa is appointed with a Large Flat Screen TV & all the Cable channels you could ever want (Plus this being Thanksgiving week - my Husband got to check into his American College and Professional Football on the Various channels!) The Kitchen & DIning area were beautiful. Grantie counter tops with gorgeous wood cabinets. Washer & Dryer was also included. The Master Bedroom and Bath was also very nice and the A/C worked GREAT. Very quiet room - we could not hear any of the guests outside when we were in our room. When we were on the Patio overlooking the Ocean - it too was pretty quiet if other guests were down at the pool or on the beach below our room.

The Grounds on the Property are very Lush and Tropical. Palm trees, native plants and flowers were manicured all over the resort. The ground crew is out there daily cleaning up any debre, prunning plants and trees, Raking the Sand, removing the washed up sea grass on the beach, etc! It shows - the property was imacutlate and the Beach area is one of the better ones that I saw in Placencia.

We had excellent Service throughout our stay as well. A few standouts that made our trip Memorable were Faura, DeShawn and Darren. They kept our Drinks cold, our breakfast served on the Patio and provided inforamtion on Placencia and Belize. It was Very easy to set up excursions and they would just bill everything back to the room which made it easy.

Food was good on site - we ate maybe a meal there everyday -- but then definatley ventured inot Placencia to enjoy the Local vendors. We also took advantage of the stocked kitchen so loaded up on some essentials from the Grocery store in town. Its about a 1/2 mile from the Resort and super easy bike ride. Some of our favorite spots were Barefoot and Tipsy Tuna (both on the Beach) as well as the Purple Space Monkey (probably my Favorite) as well as Rumfish. Food in town was very resonable and the service was all very good. We did have some cocktails at the Turtle Inn resort next door and while their menu did look good -but it was on the Pricier side.

As far as safety - we walked down the beach many times and around the town area and always felt safe. The Locals were very friendly, we had no issues there. Just remember to NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE on the Sidewalk that runs between the shopes and beach. We got a "friendly" reminder from some business owners there.

Bugs -- The sand Fleas are pretty vicious. I didn't believe the reviews I read, but after coming home with little red itches - my next visit to Placencia will include Deet Bug Spray.

Overall - we had an Amazing trip to Chabil Mar and Belize in General. We typically do no like to visit the same place (or stay) again, but we would definatley come back to Chabil Mar and highly recommend staying at this property

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa #20 - Oceanfront 2nd floor room. The view of the ocean was fantastic and on our...
2  Thank sznwds
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Chabil Mar is truly a lovely resort with accommodations that are phenomenal and like other reviewers have said, the website doesn't do them justice.

-My villa (14) was perfect-- a living/dining area, full kitchen, bedroom and lovely bath. The air conditioning works very well and the water pressure in the shower was the best I've ever had and way better than my own home :)

-I ate at least 1-2 meals on-site per day and my bill when leaving was much less than I expected. The prices are reasonable-- take advantage of inexpensive rum-- and use an inexpensive mixer and you're paying $4usd for a strong drink rather than $10.

-The complimentary bikes were awesome-- I used them most of the days I was there to go into town, grab items from the store, etc.

-The water is perfect in the morning for using the kayaks.

-The staff is amazing-- Natalie, Azalea, Athena, Faura, Merli, Blades, etc.

-The sand flys are horrible. Bring bug repellent or buy it there-- keep re-applying and bring cortizone cream with you from home.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo