“I expected a nice property but the attention to service & details was amazing”
Review of Chabil Mar

Chabil Mar
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After 10 days in Guatemala and Belize and fresh off of a 3 day sailing excursion we wanted to splurge on a nice place to unwind and recharge before heading home. The pictures showed a beautiful property and they were accurate. The exterior is gorgeous the interior of the villas was surprisingly gorgeous with decorated with impeccable taste. However, what I didn't expect was the level of service and attention to details. I hadn't even gotten out of the taxi before the front desk staff was out and welcoming me. My bags were whisked away by 2 other individuals I was given a concise tour of the grounds which is gorgeous, with two pools and lots of iguanas. Along the way I was introduced to 3 other staff members, given fresh water with citrus. I have high expectations and they were exceeded at every turn. While in the villa, yet more staff arrived with fresh virgin drinks and we were left to enjoy. I had previously reserved the dock for a private candlelit dinner for 4. It was beautifully prepared, they were flexible when our ladies were late and the food was delicious. Unexpectedly a massive storm came through and a hilarious turn of event ensued. For some, it would probably have ruined the evening, for us (largely because of the lightheartedness of our server Deshawn.) it made for an even more adventurous and memorable night. If we are ever in the area again, we will make a point of spending the extra money to stay here. Kudos to the dedicated staff who made the experience what it was.

Bonus: in the morning they arranged a shuttle to the airport and since I couldn't remember the flight time did all the legwork and looked it up for me and showed up at our door right on time. We literally didn't have to think about a thing!

Room Tip: The 2 room villa was plenty spacious, tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable beds. The kitc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank bobts68

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent a week at the resort and have to say it was fantastic. The staff was awesome and went above and beyond for you. Ate a lot of amazing foods & happy drinks. It is absolutely an amazing place and resort. Will definately come back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Toni P
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My twin and I spent our 40th birthday here a few years ago!! They brought us a birthday cake and flowers while singing to us! We literally walked out of our condo to the beach. It felt like our private home. We did trusted excursions recommended by them-- howling monkey tour was the best! Spending a few hours on the "public" private beach snorkeling was the best!! This resort has customer service nailed!! We will return!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our experience at Chabil Mar was exceptional. The oceanfront Placencia location provided a beautiful setting for our stay. The Villa's interior appointments, property layout, excellent dining and accommodating staff, make Chabil Mar a very special place. We visited with our 10 year old daughter who thoroughly enjoyed her time in Placencia (no lack of things to do for kids). We had an opportunity to speak at length with management and the owners and were impressed with their commitment to quality and continuous improvements to the property and the guest experience. You won't regret your decision to vacation at Chabil Mar.

Room Tip: All of the villas have an excellent view of the grounds and of the Caibbean.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What a beautiful hotel and wonderful staff! We just returned from an 8 day family vacation at Chabil Mar, and every single person in our party of 11 agreed it was our best experience yet (and that is saying a lot from a group ranging in age from 8-70!). The property and grounds are impeccably maintained, the villas were comfortable and beautifully appointed, but the best part of Chabil Mar is the warm, engaging, and helpful staff. Darren, Merli, Althea, Luis, Danny, Tiffany, Faura, Ryan, Natalie...I hope I'm not leaving anyone out!..all went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome. We took advantage of the complementary bikes almost every day to ride into town and catch a World Cup game in several great restaurants/bars. Placencia is a fun town with such nice people, we never felt too 'touristy' and were always welcomed in with a smile. At Chabil Mar, our kids loved jumping off the dock, swimming in both pools, searching for all the animal topiaries, and the ability to eat whenever and wherever they wanted. We had 5 kids from 8-15, and we felt so safe at the property that a few nights the adults went into town for a special dinner...the kids had dinner in the room, and everyone was happy. We enjoyed eating Belizean breakfast on our patio, and if you are lucky enough to be there on a Sunday, order the Belizean stew! The concierges and front desk were always available to book a tour and make a dinner reservation/restaurant suggestion, and the hotel shuttle was convenient to get to and from town at night. We took the Monkey River tour with Percy and the Private Island day...both wonderful and unforgettable. In sum, Chabil Mar and Placencia were everything we had hoped for and more...and we hope to return!

Room Tip: For families looking for a little more space, there are 2 bedroom villas with a loft that has 2 sing...
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The resort was exactly as shown on the web site and the staff was excellent. As we came as a large group of 8 it was wonderful to have the extra space the villas provided. We arrived late on a Sunday and there was a problem with the room we reserved. The staff asked that we wait until Monday for a final resolution to the problem. The staff provided a more than fair solution to the problem on Monday. While there from the gardener we saw each morning at 6 to the front office staff we were always greeted and asked if there was anything that they could do for us. The resort was fully booked while we were there it never felt that way. There was always room on the beach or at the pool. The policy of being able to eat anywhere on the property was nice and we took full advantage.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

From the very start, once I arrived at Chabil Mar, i couldn't help but feel as though I was more than just a welcomed guest. The Staff was friendly, warm and always extremely helpful throughout the property.What impressed me was the way the staff go out of their way to accommodate you. Specifically,you have to experience Althea and Natalie who work at the front desk. Both of them took a genuine and sincere interest in making the most out of my stay I especially loved the convenient close proximity to the actual village of Placencia. I took advantage of taking a bike (which was offered by the property) to pick up a few small grocery items. I quickly found myself among restaurants, shops, and local hangouts within minutes. On one occasion, I enjoyed a serene 20 min walk along the Caribbean beach that lead directly in to the village. I really cannot say enough for the local people of Placencia. As a tourist, I have found myself in situations where once I left the resort property, I didn't always feel very safe. Not true in Placencia! A mixture of people all which warm and friendly personalities. Unbelievable and Exceptional says it all!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends