“A Truly Special Place - 5 Stars”
Review of Chabil Mar

Chabil Mar
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
New York City, New York
“A Truly Special Place - 5 Stars”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I rarely write reviews, but Chabil Mar was just so spectacular that I wanted to share my experience...

1. The staff was incredible. Everyone was friendly, helpful and really went the extra step to make everything perfect. Natalie is the most competent front desk manager I have ever encountered. Ryan, Lacho, Merli and everyone else whose name I can't recall anymore were also wonderful. Thank you so much to the staff who truly understand the meaning of hospitality

2. The grounds were immaculate. The beach was raked every morning for seaweed. The grounds were treated for bugs every evening. Everything on site was truly 5 stars, and it's clear that the property managers take great pride in the hotel. During our stay, we visited other nice hotels (including Turtle Inn, Maya Beach Hotel, Cozy Corner, etc). and I can say with absolute confidence that Chabil Mar is the best by far.

3. The location is about 1 mile north of town. It's a 20 min walk, which is fine during the day. However, most of the time we used the hotel's bikes during the day or rode in the free hotel shuttle in the evenings. Splash Dive Shop is across the street, so if you dive, this is very convenient. Overall, location is not as convenient as being in town, but the hotels in town are not as nice.

4. The food was awesome! We ate breakfast on the beach every day. We ate dinner on the dock one night, and it was a truly special experience. I definitely recommend this during your stay (ask Natalie to reserve it 1 night for you).

Other tips for Placencia
- Best meal was at Maya Beach Hotel Bistro. It's about 5 miles north of Chabil Mar, but you can rent a golf cart and go there. I highly recommend this
- The bugs (called No See Ums) devoured me the first few days. If you are sensitive to this, cover yourself in bug spray. You have been warned.
- Try the seaweed shakes. They are interesting and super tasty
- You can drink the tap water. My boyfriend and I both drank it during our trip and had no problems.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 16, but they were all nice. 2nd floor rooms have better views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DunW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Friendly staff, amazing accommodations, beautiful place. Food...was sub-par and overpriced. Just don't eat here unless it is for breakfast or a quick lunch. But definitely stay here, it is the best place. Also, every other hotel doesn't have good food or its super over priced, or both.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ra B
Reviewed 26 August 2014

. I've just returned from a week at Chabil Mar with my husband and two children (ages 6 and 8). We had an amazing time. The resort is beautiful, the rooms were awesome and the staff is friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath villa which was perfect. It had a well-appointed kitchen, a washer and dryer, and was beautifully decorated with painting and murals on the walls. The beach is spectacular, fine sand and crystal clear water. You can literally stand knee deep in the water and see the fish swimming around you. If you are looking for a calm, relaxing vacation you couldn’t find a better place. If you want lots of activities and night life then I’d say go someplace else in Belize because Placentia is pretty low key. Oh last thing – bring insect repellent. They spray at Chabil Mar every night but I still managed to get quite a few bites both at the resort and during the Monkey River Tour in particular. Maybe it’s because we went during the wet season (although it only rained 2 days for about 10 minutes), but I’ll definitely pack the extra strength stuff if we go back.

Room Tip: we stayed in a partial ocean view and it was awesome, doubt there is a bad view from any of the room...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Malaika M
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I spend our last 4 days of our honeymoon here at Chabil Mar back in June. We could have spent another week here in Placentia. Our room was simply amazing - comfortable bed, outstanding amenities, beautiful art, and a great bathroom. Our balcony overlooked the pool and ocean, in fact we ate all of our meals on our balcony. The service was spot on. There were only about 12 guests during our stay, so we had plenty of privacy while still striking up conversation with guests during happy hour at the bar. The 2 pools are beautiful. We felt so safe taking our golf cart off the resort and in to town for some shopping, gelato, walking, or just up the road to the grocery shop. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: You can eat any meal anywhere on the property! Just inform the staff.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Charleston, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

What an amazing luxurious place to visit. Amazing location and amazing views! The service was awesome and the rooms lacked nothing! Make sure you ask for Lacho to drive you everywhere as he was the nicest driver you can ever have. Great pools/great food and close to all the action.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cynthia R
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This review is long overdue as we traveled to Placencia for 7 nights during Christmas of 2013. Our entire trip and stay at Chabil Mar was amazing. The entire staff is so friendly and willing to help when asked. As with any vacation/beach destination outside of the US, it takes a few days to acclimate to what I like to call "island time" (I know Placencia is not an island). The villa we were assigned was beautiful, although we reserved an ocean view room and it was more along the lines of pool view. After our initial impression, our room assignment didn't matter since we fell in love with Chabil Mar and enjoyed the grounds, the staff and everything Belize has to offer.

The pier is lovely and we reserved private dining twice during our stay, once for Christmas dinner and for breakfast on the morning of our departure. During breakfast there were two manatees playing in the water 20 yards from the pier, it made for a great sendoff.

Our 2 bed/2 bath villa was beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean. Every amenity was available and the kitchen was well stocked. Although, I must say we didn't cook because we were on vacation.

My boyfriend hired a private fishing guide and the kitchen at Chabil Mar cleaned and deliciously prepared his catch for our dinner. We had snapper with rice and tons of fresh vegetables. It was unfortunate we could not finish everything because it was delicious.

Most days we ventured into town for our meals except for breakfast. There are several great restaurants serving extremely fresh food. So many, in fact, we could not go to all of them... forcing us to pick a select few.

We arranged some excursions through Chabil Mar but as we became more familiar with town and what it has to offer, we arranged a few privately as well. There weren't any issues booking either way, you save a few dollars if you book on your own.

The entire area is very friendly, safe and welcoming. We will return to Placencia and Chabil Mar in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kara D
San Francisco
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and could not have had a better experience start to finish. The service was top notch throughout the property, the food was superb, the rooms were perfect, the two large pools were idyllic and the location being a quick bicycle ride to Placencia town made it the perfect spot to vacation in this wonderful, quaint beach town where the locals are ready to embrace traveling tourists and visitors from afar. If you are in the market for one of the "higher-end" hotels in Placencia I am convinced this one is by far the best (I toured two of the others while in Placencia just to see a few of the local options - one was WAY too far away from Placencia town center in my opinion and the other looked fantastic, too, but just not quite as quaint and homey as Chabil Mar). I really can't say enough positives about Chabil Mar and hope I am lucky enough to return someday. Plan to stay here while in Placencia and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank cainca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Maya Beach Hotel
#4 of 19 in Placencia
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Chabil Mar? Share your experiences!