“Loved Captain Jaks”

Captain Jak's Cabanas
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 11 September 2009

My husband and I planned our first trip to Belize, not knowing what to expect. We had the best time and really loved Captain Jaks. Lucky and Erin are the hosts and have great ideas on attractions to visit. The village is wonderful and fun to walk around. We also loved the monkey river tour, a must for all. The inn was immaculate and we were very well cared for.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 August 2009

Have been to Captain Jak's twice this year and can't wait to go back. Caption Jaks offers accomodations that are affordable for the single traveller, couples or families - which makes it unique in and of itself. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, all accomodations are kept clean and are very charming. the biggest sell, however, is the owners - Lucky and Erin. They are quite simply some of the nicest folk I have ever met. They moved to Placencia from Texas, love their new home, and want their guests to love it too. They know everybody in town and are quite open in sharing recommendations for everything from bike rentals to supper spots. Sent us down the road to "Omars" which is a nonassuming little place on main street but My oh my is the food good! Located right in Placencia but on the lagoon side, Caption Jaks is within walking distance of everything in Placencia but is quieter in the eves becuase it is lagoon side. You can walk to the beach in minutes (like 2!) but you don't have the evening wind or the bar music to contend with. Love this place - love Lucky and Erin - can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Caribbeanfme
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I'm overdue in writing this review of Captain Jak's. I have now had two stays at Captain Jak's (seven and fourteen days) this year, and am in the process of arranging a stay for the end of the year -- that's how much I liked this place.

If you've decided to give Placencia a try, you should seriously think about a stay at Captain Jak's. To my taste, it's perfectly situated; it's on the northern edge of the Placencia strip (though still well south of the airport). That means that you are within a five- to ten-minute walk of absolutely everything in Placencia village. Captain Jak's is located on the lagoon side of the peninsula, and it's about a three-minute walk to the beach. While the location means it's handy to everything, it's just far away enough from whatever nightlife is going on at the beach to ensure you're not listening to others' revelry.

There are two main types of cabana units they have (and I have stayed in both): One-floor cabanas with queen bed, kitchen and bathroom, and two-floor cabanas with living room and kitchen downstairs and bedrooms on the upper floor. These larger units are good for groups up to six people. The two-floor cabanas have an open veranda on the main floor, with a screened-in balcony off the upper floor. The smaller units have an open veranda out front of each. All of these cabanas are separate units; not joined to the neighbours'. And, FYI, my notoriously bad back approves of all their beds!

There is also one luxury unit they have; the upper two floors of the main house. It is absolutely spectacular, and I have rented this unit on two nights (perfect for hosting birthday partites!!) It has a big-screen television, stereo, can sleep up to eight, and if money were no object, I'd stay in this one every time! There is even a crow's nest lookout deck on top of the house, which is just above an outdoor jacuzzi deck. Pretty sweet!

But money is an object, so the small, one-floor units are the ones for me; they're just right.

The lagoon side of Captain Jak's is fronted by a dock, with two covered sitting areas; one with a hammock. I made time every day to mix a cocktail and lie in the hammock and enjoy the spectacular sunsets in the evening. Heaven. It's really well landscaped, with loads of tropical plants and flowers, and it's nicely maintained.

The hosts are an American couple (from Texas, I think) who are really friendly and utterly charming. The wife dotes on her birds, who will probably talk to you as you go to and from Captain Jak's. The couple knows Placencia and everyone in it, and give great recommendations regarding restos, activities, etc. They've also lent me a bicycle with a lock on several occasions to tool around the peninsula, which was terrific. They also have laundry on site, and you can work out a deal for washing, if you wish -- handy for folks like me.

In all, Captain Jak's is at the higher end of budget accommodations in Placencia, but I wouldn't stay anywhere else. In reality, you probably won't go wrong anywhere in Placencia — it's a place of amazing people and unreal scenery — but location, quality and people make this place a cut above anything else you're likely to find for the price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Ceej3
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Captain Jak's was recommended to me by a friend of mine who stayed there in Jan. 2009. He spoke highly of it and he wasn't kidding! The owners, Erin and Lucky, are the best hosts who make you feel right at home and will go above and beyond to make sure your stay there is everything it can be. We went on a snorkeling trip and to the Monkey River, they hooked us up with the ever so knowledgeable and friendly, Pearsy, who picked us up right out at the dock, about a 2 minute walk from my cabana. When we considered a drive to the ruins and ATM caves, Erin and Lucky were right there to help us rent a car, called to get a place to stay in San Ignacio, and gave us helpful hints & tips for our journey across Belize.

The cabanas are clean and cozy with it's own kitchenette which came in handy for our morning coffee. Captain Jak's is a leisurely 5-10 minute walk to all the local restaurants (check out the Secret Garden!) and a 2-5 minute walk to the beach. I don't know that it gets much easier than that! And you can chill out and watch the sunset out on the dock on a hammock.

Ah, writing this review makes me want to go back tomorrow! I highly recommend Placencia and if you're going there, there is no better place to stay than at Captain Jak's. You'll leave there not only with a awesome memories but likely new friends in Erin and Lucky! Go NOW! ;)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank lingmidas
Reviewed 27 June 2009

My husband and I have never ventured far from Texas, so this trip was a first for us in many ways. First passport and first trip out of the US. We needn't have been concerned about any part of this trip.
Our hosts, Luck and Erin Ivy (owners of Captain Jak's) took care of our every need.
and much more. They made our trip so enjoyable from our stay at Captain Jak's Cabanas to recommending places to eat, showing us the sights, and took us sailing.
The cabanas are beautiful and very well supplied. Lucky and Erin make you feel like family from the minute first meet them.
I can't wait for the next time I am able to go. This will be the place I again and I recommend it to any one looking for adventure, sailing, snorkeling, fishing and just being lazy soaking up the sun on the beach.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We stayed in the villas the last week of April and had a wonderful time. Lucky and Erin went above and beyond to make sure we had a great time. They arranged 2 outings with Percy, a local guide, and made arrangements for a rental car. Lucky recommended we rent a car and take a overnight trip to San Ignacio to see the countryside, caves, mountains, and Mayan ruins. It was one of the highlights of our trip!

Captain Jaks has a great location, everything is within walking distance. The grounds are well kept, the dock area is a great place to hang out, the villas and cabanas were neat, clean and comfortable. Lucky and Erin are personable and friendly and are always willing to help and they have great knowledge of what to do or where to go.

If you go to Placencia, it is best to take Mayan Air, the ride is 20 minutes and worth the reasonable cost. Also I highly recommend Percy for a trip to Monkey river, and a snorkeling/fishing trip to the barrier reef. Percy is great and I can almost guarantee a great time with him.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here a few weeks ago. I was going to do a review and quickly forgot (as usual). I was pretty impressed with the cabanas. The grounds were quiet and well kept. The cabanas themselves were clean and had a full kitchenette. I was surprised and happy to see some little extras that I usually don't see except in rather expensive places such as good shampoos, thick towels, and high thread count sheets! Very nice extra little touches that make the difference. Excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple