I've been staying at the hotel on and off for over three week now (I'm on a school research project), the impression/information I got is very different from previous reviews, so I figure I should make some addition/correction to some of the older reviews:
1. First of all the price from the older reviews is wrong: The hotel have no dorms, rather they have “bunk bed” rooms for $7.50 USD per person, but the catch is that you need 3+ persons to stay in the room. For those travelling in pairs the cheapest option is still $7.50 per person (they have a room with two beds for 15 USD). But if you are travelling alone the cheapest option is $15. After looking through 3-4 budget hotels in town I believe this hotel is by far the cheapest option, the second cheapest hotel in town cost about twice as much.
2.. I've seen no cockroaches so far. The place is fairly clean, although everything looks dated. There are two cleaning ladies who are constantly mopping floors etc.
3. The address listed on TA is WRONG!!! , The Hotel is not on 22 Queen Victoria Ave but rather it's on 22 Belize Corozal Road (Queen Victoria Ave is a different part of the same road). Packages sent to 22 Queen Victoria will reach the hotel though, as long as the hotel name is clearly marked on the package (also Google Maps shows the street as Queen Victoria Ave).
4. The service is very good in my opinion. The guy at the hotel went out of his way to arrange meetings for me with several local sugar factory workers, and he even fixed my laptop (All for free).
However, do expect to pay for trivial things like borrowing their phone to call for a taxis or pizza. In general the hotel will let you borrow their phone (which is prepaid) and will charge you whatever the phone company charge them (which is A LOT, expect to pay a few dollar for even very short conversations.) If you make a lot of calls the phone bills can easily outrun the hotel bill. Land line to land line calls after 6pm are free though.
5. oh and the old review is wrong about the internet: wifi costs 2.5 USD for no matter how long you stay. It’s actually not a bad deal (there is an internet cafe close by charge a minimum of 2 USD for 1 hour).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Akihito Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akihito Hotel Belize/Orange Walk