“Peaceful Mayan Ruin with great views”

Nim Li Punit (Big Hat)
More attraction details
Owner description: This Mayan site is known for its 25 intricately carved stelae, including a figure wearing a large headdress ("Big Hat").
Placencia, Belize
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Peaceful Mayan Ruin with great views”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This site is not very large, but it has great views and is known for its stelae which are carved monuments. We had this place to ourselves and brought binoculars to also bird watch. Road to the site is steep and about 0.5 miles long, but no problem at all in our Land Rover. I recommend combining this trip with a visit to either Punta Gorda or Lubantuun. Every Mayan Ruin is unique so we enjoy seeing all of them.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank TavellingTammy

Washington DC, District of Columbia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“a small site”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Not so much to see here, only worth it if combined with, say, Lubaantun or another destination. This was slightly disappointing, even for primitive civilization artifact sites

Visited July 2014
planet earth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Road Trip!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I live in Placencia and had a friend visiting for 2 weeks. We had already been to Xunantunich and Tikal so I tried to put together a trip to Copan in Honduras. The scheduling just didn't work out so we ended up renting a car and driving south to Punta Gorda. On the way down we stopped at Nim Li Punit since it is right off the Southern Highway. I just loved this site! It is the smallest ruins I have visited but definitely my favorite. It sits up on a hill and catches the breeze. The stellae are magnificent as are the burial sites. It was so lovely, I kept saying, "I could live here". There are creeks on 2 or 3 sides of the site and you can see the sea from one side. Since it is small, it doesn't get the massive tourist invasions so you can wander at your own speed and most times have the place to yourself.

3 Thank cayegirl
Punta Gorda, Belize
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The best archaeological site in regards to stelae's in Belize”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you want to see the longest Stelae (27 Feet) or the New Stelae Number 21, the Wide Stelae or some of the other 27 monuments you need to visit Nim Li Punit. A great view to the Bay of Honduras awaits you as well. A great place for birders as well.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great site”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I loved this site. The site features 6 plazas, four that are accessible, 2 ballcourts, and 26 stela, 8 are decorated, one of which is the largest carved stela in Belize, 30 feet tall. There is small museum with the stelae from the site, It is very well maintained. The Plaza of the Stela is amazing I have never saw so many in one place.