“For the love of food”

Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Top quality seafood and barbeque in Punta Gorda. Relax at the only restaurant and bar around that is completely over the sea. Fresh meals are cooked to order with sustainably caught seafood; fish are often caught by Asha (the owner/head chef) himself. Our kitchen serves hearty dishes prepared with healthy ingredients. Listen to various styles of live music – including Creole and Garifuna drumming, Mayan marimba, and international performances – all while enjoying the Caribbean sea breeze with a view of the Guatemala highlands from across the bay. Exceptional service and competitive prices. Business practices are very environmentally friendly. We cater to all needs; including large groups, food delivery, and a variety of events. Please call ahead for large groups, to-go orders, directions, or our music schedule. Marine tours, sustainable-fishing classes, sunset-booze cruises, and cooking lessons are available.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

It was back in July 2013 we ate here but the memory is still with me, I just haven't had anytime to review this wonderful place until now!
We were recommended to come to Asha's as a last minute dinner solution during the week we sat out on their beautiful deck over the ocean and enjoyed a few beliken's before we ordered our dinner my partner had the whole snapper and I had the fillets both were garifuna style in a beautiful coconut and coriander sauce which I am still trying to work out how to recreate in Australia!
You have a range of sides to choose to go with your meal and both were great.
We couldn't believe our luck at having found such a hidden gem at the bottom of Belize, if it was down the road from our house we would eat here at least once a week!
I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've eaten here a few times, and first couple was fine - the food was good (but pricey), and lovely sea front location, and Asha and his wife were very nice and friendly. But on my most recent visit I saw Asha cursing and swearing at a tourist who had ordered some chicken (there was none) and all-in-all he was being rude and at times downright nasty to some of the customers, especially the locals. The other woman (not his wife - someone else) who was serving wasn't rude but she wasn't the friendliest waitress either. I don't know if they were just having a bad day, but that's no way to treat any customer and I don't think there was much "love" in the cooking that day! On the plus side - they do serve lion fish.

2  Thank MiriamMorales
stacy m, Owner at Asha's Culture Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Hello and good day. I will take the opportunity to first thank you and welcome your feedback. I am however, going to ask that you remove this post as it has either been misinterpreted or has since been dealt with. On the night you speak of, we were preparing for a very large event; we were understaffed and facing a much bigger crowd than we anticipated. It got chaotic around the time you arrived and although it was a learning experience for us, it should have still been a great experience for customers.
With that said, the young lady that was bartending was dismissed that night. There was no use of obscene language and we sent a letter and gift certificate to the lady who was not served chicken in time. Since she has not felt the need to write a review I will kindly ask that you do not write one for her as you were not present for their conversation.
Regarding Ashton’s treatment of the locals, I am going to make an assumption as to what you are referring to. At the time your group walked in we were slammed and Ashton and I were delegating orders to the group of workers we had there. It may have been difficult to tell at that point who was working there, who was there as a friend to help out, and who was there as a customer. Additionally, Creole is a harsh sounding language, and while things may sound rude to an outsider, that is just the way many of the local men speak to one another. Believe me, if Ashton were rude to locals we would have lost much business that evening, as that particular event was catered to the local community.
As you mentioned, it was not the best day for us. But as you witnessed in your prior experiences and as you can read here from our other reviewers; this is definitely not an accurate depiction of how we serve our customers.
Thank you for your consideration.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Good range of dishes with assorted sides thrown in with the price. Don't bother with the local wines unless you are prepared to be disappointed. They have a novelty value only and the beer is far better value. Do eat Lion fish when available. Atmospheric shore side location well worth the short walk from town center and close to Blue Belize and Coral House hotels.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Every time I went to Asha's, I was never disappointed. I loved the atmosphere of Asha's. The view from the back deck was beautiful and it was nice that you could choose if you wanted to sit indoors or outdoors. The staff was really friendly, and it was fun having live music too. I loved the lion fish fingers as well as the sides. Everyone was always having a good time at Asha's.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We ate hear daily on our trip to Punta Gorda. The food was consistently good and well worth the wait. The back porch is a great place to get lost in thought, while gazing out to sea.