“Great!!!! can beat it”
Review of Nature's Way

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Gorda
Nature's Way
“Great!!!! can beat it”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

For a back packing place to stay this would be a 100% across the board its no hilton you get what you pay for and then some. I spoke with the owner for hours great guy and great place it gets five stars in my book !!!!! great staff! very helpful!!!!! I loved it!!!!

Room Tip: first one to your your left on top of the stairs
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ivbeeneverywere

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Punta Gorda, Toledo, Belize
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I arrived at Natures way hostel in Punta Gorda, and sat down a young girl 'Diana' the owners daughter ask me if I would like a room or food? I asked for Breakfast and internet use. Decent internet connection. Breakfast was a bowl of fresh fruit and scrambled eggs beans and toast with coffee.
I over heard some other people talking about the TEA association and I asked them what the TEA was. The TEA is an association based out of Natures Way started by the owner Chet. They are looking for volunteers to work with them to promote the guesthouses started in 6 indigenous villages by the local community, offering workshops and cheap accommodation and tours by the locals to caves and jungle, and farms. I offered my services and ended up staying at Natures Way for two weeks then going to visit all the villages to do promotional video interviewing the locals about their tours and workshops. It's an amazing way to visit the area even if your not volunteering it's only $22 Bzd to stay in any of the TEA guesthouses.
The guesthouses are traditional thatched roofed cabins with comfortable beds and flynets with electricity, you can ask for a fan. The showers have running water and flushing toilets. It's $7 Bzd to do any of the workshops or tours or cooking lessons. You get shown around by the locals who are very sweet and speak English. You can eat with the locals or not if you want your privacy, It's 7 Bzd for the meal made by a different family even meal, so the locals share the funds. The money you give them is spread around the community and goes towards the school. I went to Mopan, Kek'chi and Garifuna villages: Barranco, Laguna, San Antonio, San Miguel, San Jose, Santa Elena. The guest houses are community run so you can ask anyone in the village and they will help you. There are buses that leave Punta Gorda three times a day to all of these villages.
you can find maps to the villages here on the TEA website: http://www.teabelize.org/
I suggest going to Nuture's Way which is at the end of Front street Punta Gorda, and talking to Chet, his wife or Daughter, they can arrange for you to visit parts of Belize which most tourists never get to see, and have an experience you'll never forget.
I had an amazing unforgettable time, I felt safe every second and saw things I know not ment people get to see and learn about!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rose R
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We picked this place due to the LonelyPlanet recommendation. Based on our experiences we do not recommend this guest house.

- Friendliness: When we arrived in the lobby nobody was there. We waited with our backpacks and were finally welcomed with the sentence "Do you want something?". Furthermore when we asked for restaurants we only received the reply that besides a chineese and greek restaurant everything is closed now although that was not correct.

- Rooms: We were a little shocked when we saw the first rooms. The floors are covered by some kind of plastic or linoleum foil with many holes and damages. Instead of beds there are wood plates with foam matresses that looked like they were cut from the isolation foam rolls you can buy in hardware stores. The material was so soft that I was basically lying on the wood. There are no power outlets in the room. The shower is a simple tube sticking out of the wall (only cold water). Towel had dark stains. As we planned just to stay for one night we still decided to take one room.

- Breakfast and hammocks as described in our travel guide: There was no breakfast available and just one hammock at the backside of the house inbetween the clotheslines.

All in all we have no idea how this place made it to the Lonely Planet recommendation list and we would not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013

Travellers are raving about these Punta Gorda hotels

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

This is a classic LP backpacker place. At US $14 for a basic fan room, the price is fine. A couple night-yelping dogs nearby need to be euthanized. Breakfast was pretty decent. Staff offered minimal info and response to inquiry.

• Stayed March 2013
New York
Reviewed 25 February 2013

For backpackers this place is great. There was a variety of visitors (different ages and homes) which was neat, and the whole place has a great community setting without being invasive (you could come and go practically unnoticed, or you could feel at home).

The owner Chet is a great man I am glad to have met and spent time with. His daughter who helps run the guesthouse is kind and helpful, and they are both very knowledgeable about the area and in general which is another bonus for backpackers.

The rooms were nicer than I expected too, and waking up in time my partner and I were able to enjoy tasty breakfast prepared at the guesthouse. Potable water and wifi both available in the "lobby" (main building) are a plus.

If you are interested in TEA visit to a Maya village this is a great place to stay as the owner Chet is doing great work with the Maya villages and runs the TEA program. Ask plenty of questions that is how you'll learn about it before you just go ahead and go for it (it was a wonderful experience for my partner and I).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CovR
London
Reviewed 29 January 2013

A clean and basic guesthouse, with stunning ocean views onto the Bay of Honduras. The owner was incredibly friendly and relaxed and we felt at home. We went South in Belize purely to stay in the Maya villages, which Nature's Way facilitated for us. If you have time, check the villages out!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sanjontookbee
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Nature's Way is a great value and we met some wonderful people there:) They have wifi and a computer you can use. i dont think there is hot water but the rate was very cheap :) while you're there ask the owner about a guest program in a village called aguacate (if you're interested in roughing it out in the bush with some local folks!)

Room Tip: i only saw the room we stayed in so i'm not much help here.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends