“A turly excellent stay!”

Chaab'il B'e Lodge & Casitas
Ranked #5 of 18 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A turly excellent stay!”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Tranquility Lodge for the last 2 nights of our 2 week Belizean trip. In hindsight, I wish we had planned for more time here- it was the best part of our holiday by far.

We stayed in one of the casitas, so can only speak for that room, but it was truly spectacular. The design of the structure draws the surrounding forest into the room. There are no windows, only mesh to keep the bugs out, and when you take a shower in the all-wooden bathroom it's like showering outdoors. There is no air-con, only a ceiling fan, but it provides enough cool air to make the night comfortable. There is also no TV, but for me this is a positive: too many modern appliances, glass windows and the like would destroy the rustic, sylvan feel of the room. It embodies it's Tranquil namesake, that's for sure.

However, what made our stay truly special was Suzanne and Lee themselves. We arrived unexpectedly early, but the room was ready and they welcomed us in. They cooked for us, arranged tours for us and drove us to the bus station in Punta Gorda at 5.30am! I repeat- that's AM, the morning one! It seemed as though no request was too much trouble, and they were genuinely happy to have us stay there. I think that defines what makes a great host: some smile, are polite, and outwardly do nothing wrong, but the relationship never evolves beyond customer-vendor. Others (and Suzanne and Lee fall into this category) welcome you in as a friend, share snippets of their lives with you and make sure your holiday exceeds what you expected, not simply met with it.

They arranged the Ixcacao chocolate tour for us, which was fantastic. Juan, the owner of the farm, showed us where he grows the cacao and sugar cane, and then we got to make our own chocolate. It was really interesting, and Juan is full of facts not only about chocolate but also the ancient Maya, wildlife of Belize and all manner of quirks- I almost wish I had taken a notepad and pen to jot some of it down.

They also took us to see Belize's first Earthship (located right next to the Lubaantun Mayan ruins, so you can do both at once). Made entirely of waste and glass bottles, the Earthship is an architectural green wonder. You can see pictures of it on the internet, but they definitely don't do it any justice. To truly appreciate the building you need light streaming through the bottles, birdsong all around you and a beer in your hand! We spent a couple of hours there with Suzanne and Lee, Richard and Alisa and their childred, I only wish we had more time.

If you are going to stay in Belize, then definitely make a stop at Tranquility Lodge. I think the proof that it is so great is that I have written a review about it, and I have never written a review in my life. Not about a restaurant, hotel, book- nothing. I simply felt compelled to write this review because Suzanne and Lee deserve it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suzie a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dangriga, Belize
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Moving away from the beaches to the jungle and rain forest in southern Toledo District Belize I found Tranquility Lodge. Owned by a Canadian couple, this is a quaint small lodge with Lodge rooms with Air Conditioning and TVs. Or choose a real experience in a Casita. BE AWARE that there is NO A/C or TVs in a Casita, just a ceiling fan. Lee and Suzie are the nicest couple you will ever meet! They do everything they can to get you out to experience all southern Belize has to offer. Lee has worked hard to cull through local tour operators to find the best qualified and most trusted of people to provide safe and enjoyable excursions. He and Suzie really want to do right by you and you will get great value for your travel dollar.
The grounds here are a botanist's dream come true. A plethora of organics they hadn't realized they had has now made it a mecca for wellness groups. I found a "bush medicine woman" quite by accident who knew just what was growing here and suggested they start labeling all the different plants and trees. It's in the works! The main room in the lodge is an open screened room with a pool table, a perhaps "homemade" Shuffleboard table, all kinds of games for everyone, plenty of comfy seating and tables to enjoy good food and conversation with your hosts and other guests.
Nature trails, a swimming hole and more nature than you can handle are all an easy walk-about away.
It's no 4 star resort and can only accommodate around 20-24 people at present, plans are underway to expand in the future. I can't say enough so, with Lee & Suzie's permission I can show you. Enjoy some photos!

Room Tip: As I mention, Lodge rooms have A/c and a TV. Casitas only have a ceiling fan. I chose a lodge room b...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ChapWehrle
Burleigh Falls, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Well our adventure to Punta Gorda ended at Tranquility Lodge and we will most definitely be back again and again. We have never been so amazed at the beauty and "Tranquility" of any other vacation spot as we were at this one.

If you are looking for beauty, nature, quiet (other than the sounds of birds and "other" things like Howler Monkeys through the night), than this is where to go. It's romantic, educational and fun. The people you meet are so warm. They make you feel very welcome. Especially the owners, Lee and Suzanne; They have a way of making every guest feel like family.

We went there from Belize City to Punta Gorda on James Bus Lines. It just happened to be the hottest day ever!! I thought "These old school busses won't have A/C so I'm glad it's empty and we can each have our own little school bus two seater with a window open". Well... We were wrong about that one!! The bus was so full. Turns out we were on the milk run. But what an adventure! We met some of the most interesting people on that 5 hour bus ride. Towards the end, we find out this bus company knows of Tranquility Lodge and say we will love it there!

Arrived a little hot and sweaty and were immediately welcomed in to this little piece of heaven. The instant breeze and a nice cold drink settled us right down and the rest was incredible. There are tours Suzanne and Lee will get you confirmed to go on (with a discount). Sometimes they go with you.

The best part was meeting people from all over the world and sitting there chatting and getting to make some new friends. And that Lester's Bar? Lots of Fun and that man can cook!! He even cooks at Tranquility Lodge sometimes. It's soooo good!

Hope you have as much fun as we did!
Denise & Dennis

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing! If you want air conditioning do not choose a casita. They're all...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DenX2
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This review is long overdue as we stayed at the Tranquility Lodge in December. However, I have not forgotten the attention and care that Lee and Suzanne provided to us! We basically wanted to do every possible activity in a few days and they made it happen! Lee was amazing, he knows everyone in the community and the best guides--birdwatching, ruins, chocolate tour, etc-- are just a phone call away. Seriously, the hosts at Tranquility work so hard to make you comfortable and to experience everything the area offers (which is A LOT)! The grounds of the lodge are beautiful and FULL of birds and wildlife, which is wonderful. The room we stayed in was definitely more on the rustic side, we had air conditioning though (which was awesome, but I feel bad because we left it on at night and apparently it froze the condensation on the kitchen floor above us). Also, if you plan on snorkeling, I recommend bringing your own snorkel gear (I wished I had it on our whole trip in Belize, we were in other areas for 2 weeks prior to staying in Punta Gorda). GO ON THE CHOCOLATE FARM/MAKING TOUR!!! Ask for Juan (who both owns the chocolate farm and is an amazing guide of the area) to show you the ruins-- his wife is also awesome!!! The bird guy they know is also great, although I can't remember his name right now!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martiae
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2013

If you want the experience of staying in a rain forest with all the comforts of home this is the place for you. Amazing flowers, trees and nature paths. Your host and hostess (Lee and Suzanne) know everything about the local tours and adventures. All I had to do was show up and they took over.

The lodge's main room is huge and sports Shuffleboard, Pool table, Television and Meals. The rooms under the lodge are clean and comfy. I had a great stay and highly recommend. :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DutchCanuck58
Placencia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

3 of us from Placencia stayed one night (Chocolate Festival weekend) and we were all very happy and impressed with the comfort and amenities of the casita we stayed in.
The entire upper half of the casita is (lightweight curtain covered) screen making it feel as if you are living in the great outdoors. The bathroom is especially great.
Rustic but has dependable electricity and potable running water.
Lee and Suzanne were wonderful hosts, bringing us anything we asked for to make us as comfortable and happy as possible.
Breakfast (included) was wonderful and plentiful.
I will stay again when in the area and recommend it to my guests that want to visit further south.
Quiet, wonderful, jungly experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in Belize and stayed at the tranquility lodge for 4 nights...we wish it could have been 4 weeks! The cabanas are situated in the rain forest, very private, amazing flowers, beautifully maintained and it is a wonderful experience to be there. The lodge property itself is magical with walking trails and a swimming hole. Lee was a wonderful, accommodating host and every morning created delicious breakfasts (dinners too). He was also an excellent resource for the area and went above and beyond in helping us when we discovered my passport was left in the drawer. If you go to Punta Gorda, you won't be disappointed if you stay at the Tranquility Lodge.

Stayed March 2013
#9 of 18 in Punta Gorda
Beya Suites
Beya Suites
#10 of 18 in Punta Gorda

Been to Chaab'il B'e Lodge & Casitas? Share your experiences!