“Wish we were still there”
Review of Hickatee Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Gorda
Hickatee Cottages
Ranked #1 of 17 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
Evergreen Colorado
“Wish we were still there”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We loved our stay at Hickatee. We started out with an eve. walk on their good trail into the jungle, and then enjoyed a delicious meal on their veranda. The food was without exception excellent. One of us needed to be gluten-free, and Kate was wonderful in finding foods and even experimenting with gluten-free English pancakes, just for us! Everything was fresh and the spices and flavors were great. We stayed in cottage # 1 which was lovely-- beautiful wood floors, screened windows with louvered shutters for privacy but also to allow air flow. Nice big bathroom. The grounds are like a botanical garden with trees and plants labeled. The local staff is friendly, polite and capable. Kate and Ian were wonderful hosts, helpful to the Nth degree with planning outings, giving advice, and teaching us about the area. We also enjoyed getting to know the other guests-- an international crowd happened to be there, and it was fun to chat with them. We do wish we were still there!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2012

There are many great things in Belize - this is a gem and one of them.
Super place, set on the edge of the jungle. Amazing hosts and cats!
Get Ian to do a night walk in the jungle and marvel at his knowledge of bugs.
Kate's food is super (not at all sure how she manages!) and start with and top off with Ian's punch and after dinner tipple.

Room Tip: Wilby suite - super
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was my second stay with Ian and Kate at Hickatee Cottages and I could not be more pleased with my experience. What I most want to share with other travelers is the incredible value. Our total bill (all accommodations, food, and drinks) for two nights was the same as our bar bill for one night at Five Sisters Lodge.
The rooms are spotless and comfortable, the food is incredible, the owners are gracious, and the surroundings make you realize how special it is to be in Belize.
If you have an interest in natural history you can receive an education in wildlife research in Toledo. Ian and Kate commit time and effort to bat, bee and howler monkey initiatives, to name a few. If you have an interest in music they are one of the only establishments that expose visitors to local artists. During our stay they brought in a Garifuna drummer who did a show/lesson with the guest, all free of charge.
I when I stay with Ian and Kate I sample and learn about local food, coffee and liqueur all while listening to their stories of how they cleared their property and started their lodge. I fall asleep to the sounds of howler monkeys and wake up to the sounds of oropendolas.
If you want to learn while traveling, this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: I've stayed in the duplex unit and the honeymoon suite. All I ever cared about was being able t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We spent 4 days here at the beginning of March. I echo the comments of the other reviewers Ian was incredibly helpful, but if you did not want his help he was not pushy in any way. In my view this place is how most B+Bs should be run but so often, at least in the UK are not. Breakfast times are flexible so one can get up when one wants, the food is excellent.

It can be a bit hard to get around we tried to hire a car but all were booked so if you are staying here I would recommend organising what you want to do beforehand.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the Wilby Suite and wish that we had planned to stay longer. The rooms are comfortable, with a nice sitting area. we enjoyed our meals on the outdoor large porch of the reception building. Ian and Kate are wonderful hosts and so helpful in making suggestions for interesting outings in the area. They have some special studies underway with several research groups, including one that engages the guests in helping record interactions with black howler monkeys in the area.

Stayed March 2012
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Hickatee from 3/12 thru 3/17. I stayed in the den for 3 nites and it was a clean, cute comfortable room. As I was reading about what there was to do in the Toledo district added two more nites and stayed in the one of the cottages which was very clean and comfortable as well.My experience at Hickatee was extremely positive in all ways, the lodging ,food,grounds as well my interaction with Kate and Ian and other guests.I spent most of my time on tours,Delonie from Tide Tours was very helpful in setting up three days worth of tours. I spent my first day with George on a trip to Snake Cayes he was very personable and knowledgable about the area and the plants and wildlife.I then did the Wensday tour to Lubaantun and Butterfly Farm with an awesome couple from Seattle.The only bad thing about the day was it would have been nice to talk with Santiago for a few hours instead of 15 or 20 minutes, he had a wealth of experience knowledge about Lubaantun. On Thursday and Friday Celiono from Tide Tours took me to Tiger cave and Nim Li Punit and Cyrilas Chocolate farm and the Hokeb Ha. Both these days where exceptional and Celiono was a great guide .On saturday my last day I went back out to Snake Cayes with another guide Dan and did more snorkelling and some afternoon fishing, He too was a very intellegent, personable guide.Kate and Ian are a very helpful,interesting,fun couple,they along with their support staff made my stay in Punta Gorda a memorable one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank waterdawg60
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 22 March 2012

but don't understand that abundance of positive comments. We really liked the location and beauty of this place, but never felt completely and utterly relaxed due to the owners odd behavior....slightly condescending and VERY contrary. We loved the cottage, however we were put off by the book of "rules" that is left for guests. The last thing we anticipated was lots of rules in a country with seemingly very few rules. Punta Gorda is a neat spot and I recommend visiting the town, but if you are looking for a friendly laid back environment, I would skip Hickatee......it just wasn't our bag.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#7 of 17 in Punta Gorda
Kiskadee Lodge
Kiskadee Lodge
#9 of 17 in Punta Gorda

Been to Hickatee Cottages? Share your experiences!