Hickatee Cottages
Copal Tree Lodge, a Muy'Ono Resort(Punta Gorda)
Hotel Salvador Gaviota(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$14
Hotel Casa Rosada(Livingston)
US$20
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Finca Tatin(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$10
US$91
Hotel Marbrissa(Puerto Barrios)
US$132
Travelocity
All reviewsbutterfly farmgarifuna drummingwednesday nighthowler monkeyswonderful hostshoneymoon suitefallen stonesfluffy towelsbreakfast and dinnermain cottagesplash pooljungle settingfirst stopoff gridlocal areacoffee deliveredbelize city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This is a fantastic place to stay. You have to like off the beaten track, down a very bumpy road kind of places, which we do. The cottages are very comfortable, the owners friendly and helpful, and there are many interesting and unusual things to do there, like visiting a chocolate farm, swimming in a cave. There's no beach on the mainland; you have to go out to the islands, but the snorkeling there is great.

Room Tip: come prepared for bumpy roads. Part of the charm for some...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I just got back home from a "study abroad" school trip with Dr. Sylvia Vitazkova (the woman who collaborates with them on studying their black howler monkeys). Dr. V, myself, and 9 other students invaded Hickatee for a week.

Ian and Kate were incredibly flexible, helping us rearrange some plans when our flight from Miami to Belize was canceled so that we wouldn't miss on any educational experiences.
Not only did Ian and Kate arrange many local tours for us, but Ian was basically a second instructor. He took us out in the evenings to look for amphibians or tarantulas (their cats following us - they're great guard cats in the jungle), showed us how to tell a species of bat from their "signature" on an ultrasound recording, and provided hands-on learning experience in the form of a citizen science projects studying orchid bees. His patience is extremely evident, since he was able to tolerate my incessant questions and sarcasm and all-around wackiness all week!

They somehow never ran out of food for such a big group - and they made us vegetarian food (at our request) every night without making the same thing twice! Kate is an amazing cook, and made us things like quiche, lasagna, cohune cabbage, homemade veggie burgers, and even made a birthday cake for one of my classmates who turned 21 while on the trip. Although Kate stayed behind the scenes much of the time, I really enjoyed the few moments I was able to speak with her in Charlie's Bar. She is fantastic!

I could go on and on for hours about how much I loved staying at Hickatee. I don't think I could have possibly learned more considering I was only there for a week - which is why I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We spend a few days at Hickatee in April. Arrived after dark and was not impressed with the lack of signage to find the place. Beautiful grounds (mild walking trails) with gardens including tagged plants. Lovely cottages and great breakfasts. The 'hiking' trails were very short and sweett. Not going to far other than round n round. Great trails for seniors or real city slickers wanting to get the Jungle feeling without going to far.
Watch Faulty Towers? Basil must be Ian twin. Ian, a very knowledable chap really got under my skin. HIS resort has quite a few RULES and Although i enjoyed Faulty Towers on TV, Basil at breakfast, was a little too much for us. So we were happy to sleep at the cottages then leave quick after breakfast to avoid listening to ian stories. Never met the lady, but the breakfast was great. anyhow. A lovely place, but the owner was not a personality match for me so prefer to not return.<

Room Tip: lovely cottages, check the ceiling fan for squeaks before movin in. :-)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank deeb e
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We recently had the great fortune of staying at Hickatee Cottages in Punta Gorda, Belize. We first met Ian,who knows so much about the great nature surrounding the cottages and is so willing to share that knowledge with anyone interested. He also makes a great pot of coffee every morning, delivered steaming hot to your front door. We finally had the pleasure of meeting Kate on our second day there, as she is so busy cooking and baking our fresh continental breakfast and daily dinners (with prior reservations). We never had the pleasure of enjoying one of her dinners but they do vary by what is locally available which is always a surprise. I think the great success of Hickatee Cottages belongs to the wonderful personalities of Kate and Ian. By the end of our visit we felt we had just left great friends.The cottages are understated and beautifully decorated with hardwood floors.They also have the very best shower in Belize.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine S
Reviewed 22 May 2012

It was close to perfection and the whole family (I was with my wife and my daughters, aged 16 and 20) loved it. The food, the deep knowledge of nature by the hosts, the friendliness, the efficiency of planning trips. Not cheap, but excellent value for money overall, if you can seize the opportunities to learn and to relax and to support a more sustainable form of tourism.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family