“Gorgeous setting, friendly hosts - terrific place to stay in southern Belize”
Review of Hickatee Cottages

Hickatee Cottages
Ranked #1 of 18 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Hickatee Cottages in early August 2012. It was our 3rd visit to Belize but our 1st to Toledo District. From the start of our planning, Kate was over-the-top friendly and helpful; the website is intuitive and thorough and that attention to detail and commitment to customer service continued through our visit.

It rained 4 of our 6 nights there HARD, sometimes between 4 and 5 inches in just a few hours, accompanied by lighting and the most cottage-shaking thunder we've ever experienced (but very little rain during the daylight hours). That meant some flooded trails, a few delays heading to town due to high water, and lack of access to the Blue Creek area which we'd hoped to visit, but was mainly just part of the adventure and - thanks to Ian and Kate - didn't have a dampening affect on our visit (pun intended).

I stayed by myself in the Den for 3 nights, then my husband flew down and we stayed in the larger Willaby Suite - both beautiful, comfortable, well designed, and well appointed; I was especially fond of the art work in the Den. I loved tea (coffee in my husband's case) delivered to the door every morning and enjoyed every breakfast on the beautiful deck of the main building with Belizean music as a sound track; the 1 dinner we ate in was very special.

When Hurricane Ernesto headed closer and forced the evacuation of the cayes, our plans changed; we had to replace plans to head to the Sapodilla Cayes for the week. We stayed an extra night at Hickatee as we switched gears and Ian and Kate were very helpful and accommodating.

During our time at Hickatee I/we enjoyed morning hikes on the trail system, howler monkey viewing, and night walks to spot walking sticks. We headed into PG on bikes a few times, took local buses to the Lubaantún Maya site, did an amazing full day cacao tour with guide Bruno Kuppinger to the jungle farm of Eladio Pop, visited Fallen Stones Butterfly Farm (only available to Hickatee guests), and loved an evening of Garifuna drumming with Ray McDonald - all recommended on the Hickatee website.

Here's a link to a blog post about our stay; if you click 'Newer Post' at the bottom each time you can view 2 more Toledo posts.

This place was pretty much perfect for us - highly recommended.

Room Tip: I don't think you can miss! Kate is quick to respond with answers to questions and will match yo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Kate and Ian have a really great place not far from PG Town!! My trip was back in May, and Ian met me at the airstrip, and gave me a tour around the town before heading back to the cottages. He even offered to stop off at Gomier's so I could get some food. We drove down one of the bumpiest roads I've ever been on, but that was part of the adventure! I was taken over to my cottage, got some water and Ian made me up a plate of fresh assorted local fruits! It was amazing! I planned my trip around the Toledo Cacao Festival, and when trying to book myself some tours, ect, Ian helped get me into some that were said to be 'sold-out' One of the cacao farm visits was one on one (Cyrila's, Abelina and Juan Cho are wonderful!) and then I jumped into another tour with another guest from Hickatee. He also suggested that I take Gomier's tofu making class, which was loads of fun! I didn't realize how easy it is to make tofu, and really, it's not as processed as I originally thought! Gomier is super knowledgeable too, we had great conversations! He also made me a stomach remedy when I had one day of sickness during my stay.

I had hoped to visit the butterfly farm, but it rained that day. Ian, myself and all three kitties did go bug hunting one evening, which was really fun! We saw lots of different bugs, and the biggest moths I've ever seen! I heard the howler monkeys a few times, but never did see them. And I made use of the bikes almost daily. It was really nice to ride into town on the market days and get some fresh fruits, I even brought back 10lbs of cacao beans on the bike! Amazing time, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I had one half of the duplex which was great, plenty of space for one, but can comfortably fit 3 (on...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Stacey B
Reviewed 14 July 2012

On each of my four visits to Belize, I've made a trip down to Punta Gorda. Staying at Hickatee is not an insignificant part of the reason why. It's truly a delightful place to spend some time. Beautiful cottages, a magnificent jungle-y garden, great jungle trails, and fantastic food. Can't speak highly enough of Hickatee. It's a really great place to return to every day after excursion, or just a day taking it easy in the town.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Craiiiiig
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Hickatee is a fabulous place to stay! The owners are extremely accommodating, whether it's helping you book day trips, shuttling you into town, or helping to identify living things around the property. Our room was great, the splash pool is very nice for cooling down, and meals on the front porch are wonderful. We had several breakfasts and dinners on site, and each meal was fantastic. On the property we found lots of interesting bugs, lizards, and birds, and heard the howler monkeys on several occasions. This is an ideal launching point for activities around Toledo. You get a more personal feel here than you do in the more tourist-heavy parts of the country--highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bsquad
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This is a fantastic place to stay. You have to like off the beaten track, down a very bumpy road kind of places, which we do. The cottages are very comfortable, the owners friendly and helpful, and there are many interesting and unusual things to do there, like visiting a chocolate farm, swimming in a cave. There's no beach on the mainland; you have to go out to the islands, but the snorkeling there is great.

Room Tip: come prepared for bumpy roads. Part of the charm for some...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I just got back home from a "study abroad" school trip with Dr. Sylvia Vitazkova (the woman who collaborates with them on studying their black howler monkeys). Dr. V, myself, and 9 other students invaded Hickatee for a week.

Ian and Kate were incredibly flexible, helping us rearrange some plans when our flight from Miami to Belize was canceled so that we wouldn't miss on any educational experiences.
Not only did Ian and Kate arrange many local tours for us, but Ian was basically a second instructor. He took us out in the evenings to look for amphibians or tarantulas (their cats following us - they're great guard cats in the jungle), showed us how to tell a species of bat from their "signature" on an ultrasound recording, and provided hands-on learning experience in the form of a citizen science projects studying orchid bees. His patience is extremely evident, since he was able to tolerate my incessant questions and sarcasm and all-around wackiness all week!

They somehow never ran out of food for such a big group - and they made us vegetarian food (at our request) every night without making the same thing twice! Kate is an amazing cook, and made us things like quiche, lasagna, cohune cabbage, homemade veggie burgers, and even made a birthday cake for one of my classmates who turned 21 while on the trip. Although Kate stayed behind the scenes much of the time, I really enjoyed the few moments I was able to speak with her in Charlie's Bar. She is fantastic!

I could go on and on for hours about how much I loved staying at Hickatee. I don't think I could have possibly learned more considering I was only there for a week - which is why I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We spend a few days at Hickatee in April. Arrived after dark and was not impressed with the lack of signage to find the place. Beautiful grounds (mild walking trails) with gardens including tagged plants. Lovely cottages and great breakfasts. The 'hiking' trails were very short and sweett. Not going to far other than round n round. Great trails for seniors or real city slickers wanting to get the Jungle feeling without going to far.
Watch Faulty Towers? Basil must be Ian twin. Ian, a very knowledable chap really got under my skin. HIS resort has quite a few RULES and Although i enjoyed Faulty Towers on TV, Basil at breakfast, was a little too much for us. So we were happy to sleep at the cottages then leave quick after breakfast to avoid listening to ian stories. Never met the lady, but the breakfast was great. anyhow. A lovely place, but the owner was not a personality match for me so prefer to not return.<

Room Tip: lovely cottages, check the ceiling fan for squeaks before movin in. :-)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Big Falls
Cotton Tree Lodge
Cotton Tree Lodge
#4 of 18 in Punta Gorda

Been to Hickatee Cottages? Share your experiences!