We had a wonderful stay at Hickatee Cottages in early August 2012. It was our 3rd visit to Belize but our 1st to Toledo District. From the start of our planning, Kate was over-the-top friendly and helpful; the website is intuitive and thorough and that attention to detail and commitment to customer service continued through our visit.
It rained 4 of our 6 nights there HARD, sometimes between 4 and 5 inches in just a few hours, accompanied by lighting and the most cottage-shaking thunder we've ever experienced (but very little rain during the daylight hours). That meant some flooded trails, a few delays heading to town due to high water, and lack of access to the Blue Creek area which we'd hoped to visit, but was mainly just part of the adventure and - thanks to Ian and Kate - didn't have a dampening affect on our visit (pun intended).
I stayed by myself in the Den for 3 nights, then my husband flew down and we stayed in the larger Willaby Suite - both beautiful, comfortable, well designed, and well appointed; I was especially fond of the art work in the Den. I loved tea (coffee in my husband's case) delivered to the door every morning and enjoyed every breakfast on the beautiful deck of the main building with Belizean music as a sound track; the 1 dinner we ate in was very special.
When Hurricane Ernesto headed closer and forced the evacuation of the cayes, our plans changed; we had to replace plans to head to the Sapodilla Cayes for the week. We stayed an extra night at Hickatee as we switched gears and Ian and Kate were very helpful and accommodating.
During our time at Hickatee I/we enjoyed morning hikes on the trail system, howler monkey viewing, and night walks to spot walking sticks. We headed into PG on bikes a few times, took local buses to the Lubaantún Maya site, did an amazing full day cacao tour with guide Bruno Kuppinger to the jungle farm of Eladio Pop, visited Fallen Stones Butterfly Farm (only available to Hickatee guests), and loved an evening of Garifuna drumming with Ray McDonald - all recommended on the Hickatee website.
Here's a link to a blog post about our stay; if you click 'Newer Post' at the bottom each time you can view 2 more Toledo posts.
This place was pretty much perfect for us - highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top-rated jungle B&B, just one mile from PG Town in southern Belize, Hickatee offers Caribbean-style accommodation, bar-restaurant, plunge pool, morning coffee delivered to your verandah, free bikes, over a mile of nature trails on site, and free visits to Fallen Stones Butterfly Farm. Family-run, we offer friendly service, a comfortable relaxed atmosphere, excellent value for money, and a great base from which to explore the offshore southern cayes and Toledo’s many inland attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hickatee Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hickatee Cottages Hotel Punta Gorda
- Hickatee Cottages Belize/Punta Gorda