All reviewsbutterfly farmgarifuna drumminghowler monkeyswonderful hostsfallen stonesbreakfast and dinnermain cottagesplash poolfirst stopjungle settingoff gridcoffee deliveredbelize cityevery morninga fantastic place to staynew ownersan oasis
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Ian and Kate have truly created something special at Hickatee. The location is great -- only 1.5 miles from PG. . yet, you feel as though you are in the middle of the jungle. I have stayed at other jungle accommodations in other parts of Belize -- the kind that are far away from everything - and I felt the same 'away from it all' feeling at Hickatee, even though everything was close!

It's clear they have an attention to detail to make things wonderful for guests. The rooms have many special touches. The amount of tourist information they have available is abundant, and more well organized and laid out than I've experienced before! Plus, they are more than accommodating to provide any input you need as well -- just ask! And make sure you check out the nice walking trails through the property. A great dusk or dawn way to enjoy the jungle sounds. (just don't forget the bug spray)

Anyone heading to the PG area MUST stay at Hickatee! I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We traveled to Belize in May and planed our entire trip around staying at Hickatee Cottages because of the reviews we saw on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. Ian and Kate organized private tours at our request and we couldn't have been happier. The trip and accommodations exceeded all our expectations. We were treated like royalty and we had the best time of our life. Everything that's been written in these reviews is true and even better. Caving, jungle hiking and a fishing tour to beautiful Snake Keys are a must. The butterfly farm is also amazing and a real treasure. Thanks Ian and Kate for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We spent 5 wonderful days at Hickatee cottages at the end of our 2 week stay in Belize. Our cottage, located in a beautiful jungle setting, was extremely clean and comfortable. This was the least expensive accommodation that we used in Belize, but was by far the best. The food (breakfast and dinner) was delicious and very reasonably priced – the best Belizean dishes made from fresh, locally sourced ingredients, as well as some of the things you might miss from home, like freshly baked bread. Like other guests who have left reviews, we were exceptionally well looked after by the owners of Hickatee: Ian and Kate. They gave us lots of ideas for exploring Toledo and put us in touch with the best local guides (for no commission). It’s difficult to leave Hickatee without sharing some of the enthusiasm that Ian and Kate have for the region. Toledo has so much to offer in terms of wildlife, culture, activities and local industries (such as chocolate making and embroidered bags). With Ian and Kate’s help, we enjoyed an authentic “tourist experience”.
Deirdre and Ronan, Ireland.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2009

It's taken me a while to get around to writing a review of Hickatee, but the fact that it has lodged firmly in my mind must be a good sign.

My wife and I stayed at Hickatee Cottages last year (or maybe the one before!) and I've always meant to write a review raving about how good it is.

I've been travelling to Belize since 1986 and have stayed in hotels and bed & breakfasts all over the world including Belize and this place really is something special. I recently stayed at a B & B in Edinburgh, called Elmview, and it reminded me of Hickatee.

I think the one thing that special places have in common is the passion of the owners and their attention to detail. Also the fact that they are usually very well travelled themselves and instinctively know what people like and don't like about staying away from home.

And these guys know what they're doing. The most noticable thing, especially for Belize, is the attention to detail and the level of service. From serving you breakfast on the porch of your own little 'casita' to serving you at dinner, Ian is the perfect waiter and Kate the perfect cook.

Ian is very friendly and familliar but when it's appropriate to be more cordial such as at dinner, he switches mode and starts saying things like, "Are you enjoying your meal sir, would you care for some more wine?" So he switches from Wooster to Jeeves, which I found very amusing, as he usually likes to take the micky when he's 'off duty'.

Kate is the chef and cooks very nice meals using local ingredients which are very reasonably priced at $17 for a three course meal. They have a good wine selection which again is very reasonably priced, we managed to polish off two bottles at dinner each evening. Why bother eating anywhere else in PG?

The only thing I missed out on was a visit to the butterfly farm, which we shall endeavour to correct on our next visit hopefully later this year.

The other thing is the wry British sense of humour which Kate and especially Ian utilises very well and to good effect. We shall have to make sure we bring over some John Lewis towels next time we go over as they swear by them.

On the whole, it is like staying at a top class B & B in Britain except that it's in Belize, which makes the experience even more enjoyable.

Adrian & Lorelei

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cvguru
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We visited Punta Gorda in April and stayed at Hickatee Cottages. What a jewel this is! The cottages are comfortable, clean, and tastefully decorated. When you enter you relax. The grounds are beautiful and tranquil except for the Howler Monkeys and Oropendolas which awaken you each morning before your coffee delivery. I was calling our cottage "home" before the first day was done. Kate and Ian are considerate and competent hosts who will arrange any type of recreation you might desire, land or sea, and greet you with a smile and delicious meal when you return, if you leave at all. There are trails within their property and the ExServiceman Road has excellent birding.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple