All reviewsbutterfly farmgarifuna drumminghowler monkeyswonderful hostsfallen stonesbreakfast and dinnermain cottagesplash poolfirst stopjungle settingoff gridcoffee deliveredbelize cityevery morninga fantastic place to staynew ownersan oasis
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I've been to Punta Gorda three times over the last few years and by far, my best stay has been at the Hickatee with Eduardo and Allison (yes, everyone will always mention the owners because they are the heart and soul of Hickatee!)
I had checked into my normal place, the Beya on a Sunday afternoon. By Monday morning I knew if I didn't change accommodations I would be mad at myself that night. After a short search I called the Hickatee and talked to Allison. Within minutes I knew I had made the right decision, checked out of Beya and Eduardo picked me up. At Hickatee you are about a mile from town so you're not going to be walking anywhere, however, taxis are very cheap and minutes away. For peace, tranquility, extraordinary clean rooms and the most wonderful proprietors in Punta Gorda, the Hickatee is the place to be. If you are the outdoorsy nature type, the fans to keep you cool and the noises of the jungle in the evenings are a sheer delight in you huge bungalow. Although all power is solar with a generator when needed, you are never lacking power, lights or hot water for a shower (which cannot be said by some hotels in town with electricity). Internet is excellent up at the main house (where you will spend most of the evenings anyway. Meals are great and they will accommodate you whenever possible. A very cold beer is always available as well as a full bar... when I asked for a red wine I was more than pleasantly presented with a very nice, perfect temperature Merlot in a huge glass. So, every afternoon on my return from business I would simply request a "fishbowl" and my cab or Merlot would magically appear with a smiling Allison on the other end. My six visits to Belize over the last 12 years from north to south are on business and always enjoyable. I've stayed in many different places from very expensive in San Pedro to tents on Half Moon Caye National Park. My most enjoyable and relaxing time, without hesitation, was with Allison and Edwardo at the Hickatee. I hope you take the time to go visit them...

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Hickatee, Owner at Hickatee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Jayson,

Thank you so much for the extremely genuine review! It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay at Hickatee Cottages during your last trip to PG and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself. We pride ourselves on offering a comfortable and affordable accommodation, and all feedback you give us is taken seriously. Thank you for sharing your experience, and the fishbowl will await your next visit!

Regards, Alli & Eduardo

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hickatee Cottages! Ally and Eduardo are impeccable hosts and kind human beings. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the baked goods at breakfast were still warm when served, and the grounds were very well manicured and beautiful! My primary focus while in Punta Gorda was to experience a tropical rainforest, and this setting was a perfect backdrop for my excursions. The air is alive with the sounds of the rainforest 24/7. It was truly an amazing and unforgettable experience! Honestly, I was terrified to book a non-air conditioned room in the middle of the rainforest during the rainy season. However, the intact forest canopy decreases the ambient air temperature by a good 10-15 degrees and makes sleeping in the cottages possible without AC. Thank goodness for the ceiling fans though! I would highly recommend Hickatee Cottages for any Eco tourist wanting a true rainforest experience!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Hickatee, Owner at Hickatee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Larry,

Thank you very much for the kind review. We appreciate you sharing your experience of Hickatee Cottages and giving your impression of our rainforest - it's very well articulated!

It was our pleasure to meet you and host you during your visit to Punta Gorda. All the best.

Alli & Eduardo Gonzalez

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

A great place to stay to explore Punta Gorda if you want to be close to wildlife and rainforest. The cottages are a bumpy mile out of town and have their own trails to wander. The cottages are immaculate and the service is great. A breakfast coffee tray is left on your own verandah early morning and drinks are available as and when you need them. The food is home cooked and in generous portions! Eduardo is very open to providing for dietary needs and rustled up vegetarian meals of great quality. The triple chocolate dessert is amazing and I would encourage guests to take dinner at Hickatee.
Ali arranged an excellent guided kayaking trip up the local creek with an amazingly enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide from TIDE who located an amazing array of birds.
This was our first stay in Belize and this our first stop. We were well looked after.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Hickatee, Owner at Hickatee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

We really appreciate the lovely review and are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay at Hickatee Cottages while experiencing some local activities in Punta Gorda! All the best and you are always welcome during your next trip(s) to Southern Belize.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We stayed here in May 2017 for 3 nights. It was a rare quiet time there, Eduardo and Ali were the perfect hosts and looked after us well. The cottages are absolutely beautiful as are the grounds to wander in and we had the pleasure of meeting their two very well behaved young boxer pups - Leche and Coco, two cats and of course their two sons. Hard to beat waking up to a breakfast tray of coffe/tea and muffins set outside on the porch before easing into the day. Eduardo and Ali organised excursion for us and that's when we met George, who could literally charm the birds out of the trees on our kayak trip on the nearby creek. It was a great way to ease ourselves into the heat and humidity of the jungle as it was our first stop in Belize. Eduardo loves to cook, I must highly recommend one of the desserts - 3 times chocolate, consisting of locally made chocolate icecream, chocolate medallions and an amazing chocolate liquer which we couldn't find anywhere to take home with us. Great hosts and a lovely family set up. My only suggestions would be to have a guided walk around the grounds to tell us more about the flora and fauna and maybe a bird breakfast bar to enjoy the birds whilst relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Hickatee, Owner at Hickatee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Christine,

Thank you very much for the kind review. It was our pleasure to host you during your visit! We were very glad to get you set up for a birding excursion, it's definitely a recommended experience in Toledo! We appreciate the comments and will certainly consider your recommendations for an even more enjoyable stay. Thanks again!

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Hickatee cottages is a beautiful hidden treasure. We were greeted by the new owners Eduardo and Allison. They immediately made us feel welcome. Our rooms were clean cozy and comfortable. We were awakened every morning by coffee delivered to our porch. Then at 7:30 breakfast served. The homemade breads were wonderful. Other meals were available which we had several times. The Snook fish was exceptionally good. Enjoyed hearing all of the jungle noises at night. Returned home happy and relaxed. Thanks for wonderful visit

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Hickatee, Owner at Hickatee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Thank you very much for the kind review! It was our pleasure to have you stay at Hickatee Cottages and we are glad you experienced the wonders the jungle has to offer!

We look forward to you returning someday soon.