“Beautiful place; wonderful hosts; they really take care of you.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hickatee Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Gorda
Hickatee Cottages
Ranked #1 of 17 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Beautiful place; wonderful hosts; they really take care of you.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

OMG, it was like a 4 star hotel in the middle of the jungle, while still retaining the charm of a cottage. Ian and Kate made you feel like you were visiting a friend (in an exotic destination). I can rave for pages, but I can’t say much more than what everyone else has already raved. I can add that I was a young single female traveling on my own, and I felt “looked after.” I wouldn’t be surprised if Ian and Kate did this with all of their guests, but it was something that really stood out for me and something I really appreciated.

Punta Gorda is not a well tourist place, so safety was a big concern for me. Ian never discouraged me from exploring as much as I could; but at the same time, cautioned me against some of the more dangerous situations and gave me some great safety tips. And I felt that, if I ever got in over my head (which thank goodness I didn’t), I could call (when I found a phone) and Ian or Kate would come, or send someone to come, and get me.

The only drawback I found, not with Hickatee but with the small town of Punta Gorda, was that because of the low tourism, all the tour packages were “two person minimum” or I would have to pay double. For example, unless I could join a group that was going scuba diving, I would have to charter the entire boat. Oh well, I did get to dive during other parts of my trip to Belize so it wasn’t so bad.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience and I’m so glade I decided to visit Punta Gorda as part of my trip to Belize. And the Hickatee Cottage (and Ian & Kate) are definitely a major part that wonderful experience.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ntad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

Believe this site - you will note that this place has over 80 reviews and they all are excellent. We were trying to find somewhere to stay in Punta Gorda and we went for Hickatee and we are both so glad we did. Basically it is the best place we have stayed in Belize - and to be honest, I can't really think of anywhere else that we have stayed that I liked more.

The owners are a couple called Ian and Kate and they really have created a little gem in Hickatee. I don't know where to start with this review, because there is so much to commend, but I will start with them.
Ian and Kate are the most warm, welcoming hosts you could hope for. Kate is an exceptional cook and Ian a great "maitre d", they are properly hands on owners and do pretty much everything. Hickatee is a small place with only 4 rooms and therefore their personal touch is everywhere - this is not a place that has been set up and left to run itself, they take great care and pride in their work. Ian is a mine of information about nature and the local flora and fauna and both of them are great to talk to about Belize/the local area and Belizean life.
You can tell how much they care about Belizean life by the fact they have an extensive Belizean library, Ian will play you Belizean music and they are very good on the "ecological" tip - recycling where possible (and in a way that does not cramp the "luxury") and using rechargeable/solar energy.
The cabanas themselves are gorgeous - lovely fittings, the hardwood floors are to die for, they are big and comfortable. Little touches such as the umbrellas on the verandas, the water bottles hanging up, the luxury towels, the water by the sinks put many larger operations to shame. Just stuff like the fact they have mossie vape repellers in the rooms, lights that repel insects etc are all high class touches.
Charlie's bar is well stocked and a nice place to hang out. Kate's cooking is excellent and worth staying in for (her scrambled eggs are in cre di ble).
Hickatee is in a nice "jungle" environment - plants have been signed so you know what they are and there is a trail through some "proper" jungle out back.
The whole region has so much to do - I know a lot of people don't make it down south, but there really is loads to do there. PG itself is a lovely little town and far nicer than Hopkins or Dangriga...
Basically if you go to Belize, go to Hickatee. You will have an amazing time, it will be a highlight of your stay and you will wish you could stay longer. I cannot think of anywhere, pound for pound that gives you better value than Hickatee and I NEVER thought I would say that about somewhere in Belize!

Oh and go see the butterflies! Oh and did I tell you about the chocolate? Or about the Tea/Coffee brought to you in the morning? Or the plunge pool? etc etc etc!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank belizinit
Dutch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

We recently went to Belize to see what this tiny English speaking Central American country had to offer. In our travels we had the pleasure of staying at Hickatee Cottages.
This four cottage property is nestled in the forested area near Punta Gorda in the Toledo province of Belize. Tucked away in the trees these tidy comfortable rooms are surrounded by beautiful grounds, teaming with local plants, flowers, wildlife, and birds. We fully expected to be eaten alive by mosquitoes, but left without a bite. Ian and Kate, a British couple, run this cozy retreat. Ian can educate the traveler on Belizean culture, plants, wildlife, music and people. He went out of his way to see that we had a multitude of things to do and if we planned our excursions around his errands he gave us a lift to town. Kate, a terrific cook, put on fabulous breakfasts and dinners using local produce, seafood and meats. One of the most enjoyable parts of our stay was the social feeling of coming together with Ian, Kate, and the other guests for cocktails and dinner. We learned so much about the country and the adventures of other guests at these gatherings. I think the adventurer or anthropologically minded traveler would have to make a point of putting Hickatee Cottages on their travel agenda. I am thrilled we did.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CanadainDutch
Warrensburg Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hickatee Cottages with a few friends this past fall for several days. It was truly paradise, but not the white sandy beach kind… and we can’t wait to go back. The cottages are nestled in harmony with the forest, yet close to town and the ocean (Bay of Honduras). The food was divine and beautifully prepared. The whole place is green (very environmentally friendly) and so comfortable and inviting - we did not want to leave. I never knew or even suspected such an eco-minded Bed and Breakfast could be so luxurious, yet simple and elegant. The cottages have beautiful hardwood floors and are tastefully decorated with local art and have big soft beds with crisp linens. Kate and Ian are the consummate hosts and are truly knowledgeable, caring and involved with the surrounding community and the environment. Whenever possible, they use locally grown and or produced foods and products. They only recommend the best to their guests, be it handicrafts, guides, attractions or restaurants. Many of the fruits and vegetables that end up on your breakfast or dinner table are grown right there at Hickatee Cottages. The grounds surrounding the cottages are filled with many flowering plants, trees and orchids. There is also a very nice trail system on the property that weaves through the jungle and along a small stream. Birds, butterflies, lizards, frogs and Howler monkeys abound; you might not see the Howlers, but you will hear them! Oh and lest I forget, you must ask about the fairies, but you must believe. Non-believers will only see beautiful and brightly colored yet completely harmless Orchid bees.

If you are a fly-fisherman or woman, you will be hard-pressed to find a better guide anywhere than Scully of Garbutt’s Marine. First-time snorkelers or seasoned divers, ask for Oliver at Garbutt’s. Oliver even got my ocean-phobic -doesn’t-go-in-water-over-her-head-wife over her fears and happily snorkeling along amongst the fishes and corals.

In short, go to Hickatee Cottages for a quiet, peaceful, reasonably priced and relaxing stay… I know we’ll be going again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shrek_n_Ducky
Brit living in Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2009

Ian and Kate are just lovely as is Hickatee. It is clean, welcoming, tastefully furnished. It achieves that enviable balance of being homely but one still feels 'treated' and looked after. Kate's evening food is delicious, do stay in a few nights. Ian rushes about ensuring you are very well looked after (but you'll have to put up with his teasing!!). They are kind, genuine hosts and my time at Hickatee was very special. The only thing to consider is that it is a a little distance from town (only a mile or two) so if you are a female travelling alone you would need to get taxis in/out (although Ian will drive you at night - albeit one way). This really is a special place - and I love the fact they do their best to positively affect the environment and minimise the negative effects (from recycling, to solar energy to hiring and buying 'local' etc). I loved my evenings in watching many of their extensive DVD collection and eating local Mayan chocolate!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Rachelethers
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

What can I say when words do not suffice? Two nights simply was not enough and wish I could have stayed longer. Wonderful hosts - genuine, warm, friendly and incredibly welcoming and will go out of their way to ensure you have the best stay possible.

Hickatee is only about a 10 minute drive from Punta Gorda town centre but feels a world away. The cottages are in a stunning jungle setting - so beautiful & tranquil.
Many lovely little touches to make it extra special. Plus a very comfy hammock on the front porch of your cottage.
No TV's (thank goodness!) but lots of books and board games. A lovely little plunge pool, a couple of jungle walks, heaps of bird & bug life (that said I didn't experience any bugs that bit me and I didn't use any repellent either)!

Great wholesome cooking by Kate and if you're really cheeky (or just lazy & indulgent!) Ian will bring freshly brewed coffee to your doorstep in the morning.
A visit with Ian to the butterfly farm is well recommended - plus: on the ride even further into the jungle he will share a wealth of information about everything Belize & culture etc etc etc. Forget the guide book!

Overall tremendous value for money and can't recommend highly enough. If ever I return to Belize again (I hope so!) I'll definitely stay here a week next time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank whichwayup
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2009

If you do not want excellent hospitality, delicious meals, clean rooms, a place you feel close to nature, and attention to detail do not stay at Hickatee. However, if these are qualities that you do appreciate then Kate and Ian will make sure you have a wonderful stay in Punta Gorda.
My husband and I return year after year and watch as this little B&B grows. And as it grows, it just gets better and better :) This year there is a new bike stand in case you might want to ride into town to explore and there is a new bug light / set up where you can watch the night flutterers if you so choose, which I must admit was rather interesting.
Yes, Hickatee is rated #1 for a reason .... in fact, many reasons.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
#8 of 17 in Punta Gorda
Coral House
Coral House
#2 of 17 in Punta Gorda

Been to Hickatee Cottages? Share your experiences!