This is an "Eco-friendly" lodge and they have done a wonderful job of building beautiful buildings with only local materials, providing generally very good meals from local ingredients (more meat would be appreciated), having interesting and fun daily activities and very helpful staff.
However, and this is a big however, nothing is much fun if you cannot sleep at night. Several nights the temperature in our deluxe bungalow never went bellow 90 F, even with 3 fans on. The first night that we arrived, we almost left because of the heat in the bungalow; we probably should have. I was in a twin bed in the loft, and it was even hotter. I would definitely not accept a loft bed for either an adult or particularly for a child. I got sick from trying to sleep in the heat.
After talking to the front desk people a couple of times about the night time heat, and getting no useful suggestions, I finally asked them to move my bed to the main floor which they did. that helped, but I spent 5 nights feeling like i was in the Black Hole of Calcutta before then.
My sister was in the main floor bed, and sand fleas had gotten into it. The last morning, I counted 145 bites on only the right-hand side of her back. Two days earlier, when she asked the owner if those were flea bites that she was getting, he replied: " those are sand flea bites and there is nothing we can do". In hindsight, we should have left.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our eco-lodge is hidden between the Moho River, the rain forest, and Mayan villages in southern Belize. Stay in beautiful thatch cabanas with private bathrooms and verandas. Enjoy delicious cuisine prepared with organic produce from our garden. Try kayaking, birding, swimming, and horseback riding on the grounds. Connect with the people and culture of Belize on daily tours to villages, Mayan ruins, cacao farms, caves, waterfalls, and more. Or simply relax in a hammock all day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, HRS, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Cotton Tree Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cotton Tree Hotel Punta Gorda
- Cotton Tree Lodge Belize/Punta Gorda