“Great buildings, good food & activities, Horrible nights & biting bugs”
Review of Cotton Tree Lodge

Cotton Tree Lodge
Ranked #4 of 17 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Great buildings, good food & activities, Horrible nights & biting bugs”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This is an "Eco-friendly" lodge and they have done a wonderful job of building beautiful buildings with only local materials, providing generally very good meals from local ingredients (more meat would be appreciated), having interesting and fun daily activities and very helpful staff.
However, and this is a big however, nothing is much fun if you cannot sleep at night. Several nights the temperature in our deluxe bungalow never went bellow 90 F, even with 3 fans on. The first night that we arrived, we almost left because of the heat in the bungalow; we probably should have. I was in a twin bed in the loft, and it was even hotter. I would definitely not accept a loft bed for either an adult or particularly for a child. I got sick from trying to sleep in the heat.
After talking to the front desk people a couple of times about the night time heat, and getting no useful suggestions, I finally asked them to move my bed to the main floor which they did. that helped, but I spent 5 nights feeling like i was in the Black Hole of Calcutta before then.
My sister was in the main floor bed, and sand fleas had gotten into it. The last morning, I counted 145 bites on only the right-hand side of her back. Two days earlier, when she asked the owner if those were flea bites that she was getting, he replied: " those are sand flea bites and there is nothing we can do". In hindsight, we should have left.

Room Tip: Avoid the lofts at all cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jeanlf
cottontreebelize, Owner at Cotton Tree Lodge, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
I'm so sorry you came during a heat wave. When there is a very large change in the environment with heat or rain, it tends to bring the bugs out for a few days. That happens to us sometimes between late May and mid June. I completely understand how uncomfortable it can be when it is that hot at night. I wish there was something more I could say or do but ultimately we can't control the weather which is unpredictable that time of year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Oh, this place. I have traveled to multiple countries, and Cotton Tree and Belize might be the best experience I've had yet.

The location: Perfectly remote. Not that far from Punta Gorda in terms of actual miles, but the roads are pretty poor so it takes a while to get somewhere. I feel like it was perfect for me. I've always wanted to do some type of jungle trip, but didn't even know where to begin with a place to stay, someone to help me not die (I'm not exactly a jungle-type girl here!), what to bring, etc. CT made it so easy! If you come with the understanding that you are in the jungle (so there will be a bug or two), you will have an absolute blast!

The resort: This is an eco-lodge in the jungle, so understand it is different. Especially for us Americans. But don't despair! My husband isn't very open to new experiences or the super adventurous type, but he LOVED CT. We've been home for a couple weeks and he still is saying, "Remember when we did X at Cotton Tree?" Here is what you need to know that we didn't realize when we arrived. This is like uber-luxury camping. Your room is much more outside than inside. The "windows" don't really close, so you hear all the bugs at night. One night it began storming, so I got to watch it lightning and listen to the rain as I fell asleep. Beautiful! There is no air conditioner, but there is a ceiling fan and a fan plugged into the wall by your bed. It was HOT when we were there in late May. Even some of the staff commented that it was hotter than normal. If you can't handle hot weather with no air, I would still suggest going but perhaps at a time of the year when the temperature is a little cooler. The hot water in the shower is pretty hit or miss. It is either scalding hot or freezing cold. But we were sweating so much that the cool shower felt pretty good. Another reviewer commented that a lamp in the room would have been nice. There was one in our room, which we used every night! The bed was a little uncomfortable and there are only two pillows. (I'm a pillow person!) But we were so tired by bedtime that we hardly noticed the mattress.

The food: Amazing. AMAZING! Another recent reviewer said the food was average. I couldn't disagree more! My husband and I are still talking about this food. The meals are family style, which means all guests eating sit together. We really enjoyed this. We got to talk with others about what we did that day, hear their stories. I do know CT does a buffet style one night a week, but that didn't happen during the 4 days we were there, so I don't know how that was. You don't get to pick what you eat, but it was all so delicious! There were some there that were pretty picky (and it seemed it wasn't for dietary reasons, just plain unwillingness to try something), so they didn't really enjoy the meals. If you are a bit open-minded, you will really enjoy the food. You get to try things you don't get at home: vegetables steamed in banana leaves, miracle fruit, etc. It is all so fresh and delicious. We had the all-inclusive package (which I highly recommend), but if you don't I still say paying for the food is worth it.

The activities: Go with an idea of what activities you want to do, but don't get your heart set on anything or you might be disappointed. The draw back to going in the shoulder or off season is your activities are more determined by what other guests want to do. When we were there, there were probably 20ish other people. Not all of them were all-inclusive, so they didn't all do activities every day. Since every activity requires a minimum of 4 people, you can see how you might not get to do something you want to do. I did ask one of the staff how many people they typically have during the busier season and he said as many as 60. That being said, we did get to do everything we wanted to do and we had a blast! We did Mayan ruins, the zip line, and river tubing the first day, the Tiger Cave the second, and Eladio Pop's farm tour the third. They were all amazing! Each were pretty different and showed us a different part of Belize and its culture, so I can't say which was my favorite. However, if you want to get to know some locals, eat good local food, and have an amazing memory, do Eladio Pop's. Eladio might be my favorite person on earth, no exaggerating. He has so much passion for Belize, its culture, and life that it is inspiring. You get to eat lunch at his house (his daughter's taught me how to make my tortillas round!) then see a demonstration with cacao. It was such a memorable day.

The rest: I think the best part about Belize is how welcoming they are of tourist. Everyone just wanted to tell us their story. They are such a beautiful people! The staff at CT are simply amazing. We ate in their homes, met their families, and really got to know them. What CT does better than anywhere else I've been is really connect you with Belize. We spent our time in villages, not big cities. And I never felt like we were intruding. If you come to learn, they are dying to teach you!

When I visit a country I want to see a little bit of everything. I want to leave it feeling like I experienced it all and don't need to return to experience something I missed. CT lets you do that, see and experience it all. The idea is that I can say I've done Belize and move on to the next place on my (incredibly long) list of places to see. The rub is that CT does it so beautifully that I can't wait to return. Which isn't such a bad thing I guess.

Room Tip: We loved our Standard Cabana. It was perfect for two people. I don't think (but can't be too...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Sounds like a perfect vacation in the jungle indeed! If you do come back, I'm sure we can send you on another half dozen excursions that will be completely new and different. I appreciate hearing that your husband enjoyed his time when a jungle trip was a little outside his comfort zone.
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My teen aged daughter Carsyn and i returned last night from our 1st visit to Belize, I chose Cotton Tree, for many reasons, i really wanted my daughter to see that the world is so much bigger than the upscale lifestyle she is accustomed to and the Jungle trip was an eye opener for both of us,
Yes i spent more money than i had expected, but i can not put measure on what i received in my spirit and hers in financial value,
my mistake was not realizing that this was more of a couples lodge than a divorced mom w/daughter, the 1st 3 days we were pretty much isolated, even though we took a tour with a group from the lodge at dinner we were not included in conversations much, and we sat at the same table with all guests family style, The chef Shawn always checked on us to make sure we liked the food and i was amazed that a man who is legally blind was so gifted as a chef and a human, he cared if my teen who was having a challenge learning to eat more fresh organic vegetables and had no one of her age to talk to needed anything, one day we were given a pbj sandwich just to help her adjust, i found the food delicious , and very creative, i even talked to Shawn many times about the organic cooking he does, the stuffed pork tenderloin stuffed with a local green plant, mixed with herbs and goat cheese could easily be added to any fine dining menu of the many high end restaurants i enjoy in Atlanta,DC and even NYC, and LA , i have traveled all over the us, Hawaii , mexico and Canada as well as the Bahamas, the organic food and the ecolodge had me captivated,
3 days into our trip i had a special request to attend a local church so my daughter may enjoy the youth program as there were no young people at Cotton Tree except some staff, and i was told they usually do not provide that service , but we were provided transportation for 100.00 us money for a trip there and back, it was the most amazing experience and no amount of money was too much for our trip to the Church to immerse with the families of the locals and the children, we were greeted with love and my daughter performed a song on the guitar and sang at that tiny church in the jungle, the children surrounded her and loved her so much, it changed my whole trip.
i have battled Breast Cancer and had many surgeries in the last 2 years, our trip to Belize was the 1st vacation in a very long time together, i could feel the strength in my body return, eating fresh fruits and vegetables that came to the table same day as picked was amazing, visiting the kitchen and having Shawn explain what herbs he doesnt have, what vegetables he can not grown due to the soil content made me appreciate every meal i ate, i only wish Breakfast was more creative, farm fresh eggs are amazing but i was quickly boredby the 2nd morning,, my teen does not eat eggs, the same cereal everyday was difficult for her, the fruit was always a welcomed addition, the banana bread amazing, and 1 one day we had pancakes she was thrilled.
The staff was amazing and very helpful if i had a special request, our only neighbors in the Garden View building were friendly and always sweet to us, but until we went on a snorkeling trip with some new guests who showed up half way through our stay we were pretty isolated ,as the married couples that were there before us had already bonded and we were kinda the outcasts, we did visit Eladios Farm, had a wonderful meal with his family, the Blue Cave tour with Pops was also a life time experience , visiting the horses and goats daily, Kayaking up and down the Moho river daily, going off the rope swing on a daily basis at my age (50 ish) was a renewal of spirit.
Carsyn and i became attached to the staff and the lodges mascot Tucker the guard dog, they accepted us , immediately and we felt their joy and it will forever be a memory my daughter will cherish, long after i have transitioned on to the next adventure in the heavens, i hhope to return to Cotton Tree after the rainy season ends with a youth mission trip from Carsyns private school, and bring the kids of the jungle many needed school supplies , and hopefully can visit our new friends at The Church of the Nazarene in Big Falls as we promised those beautiful children we will.
I woke up this morning and even my coffee tasted different, my palate already dislikes the chemicals we have in all of our foods, i miss everyone in Belize already! And the dinner at night Shawn prepares .
we used the chemical free ointment that is sold at the lodge to keep bugs away, and have returned home free of bites!

Room Tip: go with friends, or family members, or couples only, i do not suggest a divorced Mother traveling...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank hippiemom8
Cotton Tree Lodge is a very unique experience which changes with each group of guests we have. I do agree that there are times when there is only one child around it can be a bit more challenging for the child. Most guests with children visit us during school break times or during the summer and at those times there are more children around. I'm glad our chef went the extra mile for you!
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you are considering a stay at Cotton Tree, you are about to commit a fair amount of money; so take the time to read and digest the reviews about this lodge. We just returned from Belize yesterday, and left Cotton Tree six days ago. I started gathering my thoughts for this review by reading some of the posted reviews.

I have been in the hospitality business for over 35 years and have traveled the world. Sometimes it can be difficult trying to rate an experience, especially when it is unique....to what do you compare? How do you compare a resort to a lodge? How do you compare a beach resort to a mountain resort? How do you rate a casual dining experience in Belize to a casual experience in NYC?

I'm no expert in rating places. It is a difficult process. And I don't have any answers to the questions posed; but I do know people and the service industry. i do know when an effort is being put forward and when someone just doesn't care, regardless of the outcome. So I for one, question the reviewer from 2010 who gave the lodge a poor rating. Cotton Tree has had the same ownership and many of the same employees for seven years. It sounds more like poor, last minute planning, rather than blaming the lodge. But that was also four years ago.

Whew. sorry about that. Immerse yourself in the culture of Belize and you will discover a diverse collection of very proud, extremely friendly, wonderfully rich-spirited individuals who live a very simple life in a country that may be considered third world.

From our greeting at the Local (PG) Airport through the city/town for PG, through the beautiful countryside of palm trees, rustic shacks, dramatic mountains and scattered with small brush fires and discarded plastic bottles (too many of those). we found ourselves wondering about the results of this jungle experience.

Most of the unpaved road to Cotton Tree is in fairly decent shape, while the last maybe mile is (quite honestly) really rough. And it's not that one does not understand the costs of doing something to improve the roads. It's a matter of how often you have to travel the same rough road to do the wonderful things that are offered. You might be on that road two to four times a day, easily. As a pure outsider, it seems as though a shovel of gravel from time to time would not be impossible and might improve things just a bit.

You never really get use to the road. You just have to cope with it. You know that quip about passing through life, where you're suppose to enjoy the journey. Well forget that, and try to focus on the really cool experiences that you will have at the end of the really, really horrible road. There were many, many cool experiences upon which to focus.

Folks at the lodge could not be friendlier. And unlike the poor woman who wrote about the lack of water for tea, please (while you're at the lodge) take the time to speak to the folks who work at the lodge. They all have a great deal of pride about their families, about their way of life and about the work that they do at the lodge. You can develop a quick bond and a sort of friendship with each and every person you encounter.

Hey, the hot water stunk in our cabana. It was either freezing cold or burning hot; but we were in the jungle....and howler monkeys were talking to each other, tree frogs were singing, there were toucans and night hawks. We swam in the crystal clear blue-green waters of a cave that was created before there were humans. We ate lunch with a Mayan named "Pop" and his wife at their house after walking the ruins of a 4,000 year old Mayan Village, from whom "Pop" and his family were descendants.

And can you believe it, there were bugs in the jungle? Where's the agent orange? Quick, get me the Deep Forest Off, some how I've landed in a jungle. Forget that, just bath in Raid and stay home. Of course there are bugs. We had one of the biggest spiders that I have ever seen in our cabana....and I'm still alive to talk about it. There use to be a roach too, about the size of a ping pong ball; but I took care of it just as I would if one made it in to my house at home.

Seriously, if you put bugs in your review of the jungle, you took the completely wrong trip. Get over yourself. It's the jungle out there. Reportedly, a jaguar went through the property two days before we got there and took out a few ducks.

We went zip lining back and fourth across the river the Belizean's call the Rio Grand. Our host and owner, Andrew, was a real character; and he made sure that we were safe....and that we had a blast. That was followed by a tubing experience on the river with a stop by Coconut Jones for a whole, fresh coconut, waked open right in front of us with a machete, presented with a straw and topped with rum. Oh, did I mention that, at the time, we were sitting in a crystal clear, warm-water spring, while little minnows nudged and poked at us for a nibble of fresh coconut?

Honestly, the food could have been better; but unlike some reviewers, there was plenty of it. Sean fancies himself as a great chef; but the food was very average.....and just to be clear, it has nothing to do with the available resources of the remote location. It's more about variety of the things that abound there and using them creatively....and it has everything to do with creativity, not availability. Thank goodness we had goat at one meal. If we were served chicken one more time....well let's just say that I might have contemplated a visit to Coconut Jones to borrow that machete.

I recommend taking a kayak out in the early morning....maybe 6 am. The river is like glass, the howler monkeys were calling to each other, iguanas dotted nearly every tree, birds of all type displayed their particular feather patterns and vocalized to attract a mate, perhaps. It was truly magical (but not if you think that the jungle should not have bugs).

You really have to take Juan Cho's cacao and chocolate tour. Wow! He and his family are special for sure. But seeing, feeling, smelling and tasting the chocolate making process from harvest to chocolate nibs and bars is wonderfully fun and educational.

So, how do you go about rating a place that provides such an experience that is somewhere between camping and a moderate (to put it in terms of something many people have enjoyed) lake side resort? It's not luxury, and it's not uncomfortable. It's not fine dining, and it's not mess hall. It's not hiking in a national park, and it's not the Italian Riviera.

It's uniquely Belize.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Zha-MD
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. Yes, our lodge is truly unique and definitely has a lot of quirks. It's great to hear you focus on the positives which made your trip special even if everything isn't perfect. The jungle location does lend itself to having a very wide variety of plant, animal, and insect life and it does take a little getting used to for some. I wish our road was better as well! Unfortunately, it isn't our road, it is a government road and it does get improved at least once each year but it would be great if it were twice. It usually happens in June so you were probably there just before. I'm glad you had the time to interact with our staff and appreciated how special they are. We hope to see you again soon!
West Hills. Ca
Reviewed 7 May 2013

If you are looking for an active fun vacation, this is the place for you. I would recommend booking the all inclusive package so all your meals and excursions are included. We went on an excursion every day and found them all extremely interesting and fun. I can't say enough about the staff. They are incredibly warm & friendly and will bend over backwards to accommodate what ever you need. The grounds are magnificent. Very well maintained and easy to get around for exploring the lush jungle or walking down to the river for a swim. Our room was wonderful-very clean & well appointed and beautiful inside and out on the balcony. The food was great with fresh fruit and vegetables from the on site garden. The chef, Shawn, does an excellent job. What more would anyone want from a vacation? This really was the best vacation ever!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shirley H
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes, the all inclusive package is the way to go if you like to stay active each day. Our chef is getting lots of favorable mentions in our reviews which he truly appreciates. Maybe we'll see you back sometime again!
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The Cotton Tree Lodge is phenomenal. The location is beautiful with a "lazy" river, boardwalks, thatched roof buildings and well kept grounds. The food is incredible. It starts with the on-site organic gardens & livestock which provides the fresh food for each meal. Once at the kitchen the chef, Shawn (a Cordon-Bleu grad) performs magic. The staff treats you as if you are family and are most helpful and friendly. The available excursions are well worth the while and the guides that take you are incredibly well informed. It seems that each has a particular expertise (birding, horticulture, Mayan history,...) and are very willing to share their knowledge and answer every question along the way. The Mayan temple tour, Blue Creek Cave, Snake Cayes for snorkeling were incredible. the night jungle excursion was both interesting, & at times suspenseful. WE saw some pretty cool things gong on. After the daily excursions, happy hour ensued with fresh made appetizers at the patio by the river. It was the perfect transition from the events of the day to the evening meal. We were able to share our experiences with our newly found friends (other lodge guests & staff) with drinks and a snack.

Probably the most rewarding day was the day we volunteered with Sustainable Harvest International (SHI). We worked with a SHI field trainer to build a cacao bean solar dryer for a family in a small village about 2 hours from Cotton Tree. Ernesto, the SHI field trainer, was a terrific young man who is very dedicated to the improvement of the lives of those he is helping and improving organic farming techniques as a way to preserve the local environment. We helped a very worthy & hard working family to increase their cocoa bean production with the solar dryer so that they can continue to afford to send their children to school. In turn the family worked along side us and provided us a wonderful lunch of chicken & vegetables stew (cal do) that they grew in their garden. It was a truly rewarding & eye opening day. It was great to see a family that was so happy even though they did not have many material goods.

Cotton Tree Lodge has a feel to it that seems to transcend the description of a vacation spot. It seems to bring people together & allows you to get to know each other (staff & guests) and the area. Its a fun, adventurous, and even a learning experience all in one, while also being quite relaxing. I highly recommend it as a way to get away from it all, and should you want to, do some good for others too.

Room Tip: If in the Garden Vista, choose the second floor room. If in a separate hut, for less chance of mosq...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our mission has been one of cultural tourism. We give our guests the opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture by having a chance to interact with local people as well as our staff and guides. Making a connection with someone from another culture is truly rewarding and an experience that can last a lifetime.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Cotton Tree Lodge was the perfect choice for a great get-away. Everything about the lodge and staff was wonderful. The meals were outstanding (Shawn the chef is amazing), the daily tours with Cotton Tree guides were informative and fun, and the folks taking care of business at the lodge were hospitable and accommodating.

The property itself is beautiful and offers lots to do even if you’ve been touring all day. The kayaking on the river is so serene. The rope swing is loads of fun. The wildlife abundant with Howler monkeys and iguanas making themselves heard and seen.The very social happy hours with Shawn’s delicious appetizers and the cocktail-of-the-day are a must-do. It was great to not have to think about anything and leave all the planning to the Cotton Tree staff. We did the all-inclusive so we just had to pick a tour and show up for our delicious meals. Oh, and not to forget, Tucker, the resident wonder dog, completed our awesome visit.

We stayed a week and I could have easily remained longer. Our favorite tours were snorkeling at the Snake Cayes (did it twice!), Blue Cave, and the cacao farm tour. While all of the daily tours were enjoyable, the highlight of our trip was volunteering with Sustainable Harvest International. We were picked up by Ernesto, one of SHI’s local field trainers, and traveled about two hours to help a family build a solar cacao drier so they could ready their cacao beans for market and gain greater economic independence. Ernesto is an incredibly hard working young man and it was truly a pleasure to work with him and learn from him. The family was so appreciative and kind to us during our day and served us an authentic Mayan ‘caldo’ with just-made corn tortillas for lunch. So good! It was truly a pleasure to be able to assist this beautiful family.

One of the other things that makes Cotton Tree so special is the other people you have an opportunity to meet. We had the pleasure of dining and touring with folks from all over the U.S. and Canada. I hated to say our farewells and hope our paths cross again in the future. I highly recommend Cotton Tree Lodge and the SHI experience to everyone!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kibocamp
Sounds like a wonderful trip. We've partnered with Sustainable Harvest International since we opened and the relationship has flourished. SHI supports education and training of local farmers in sustainable organic farming and has helped improve the lives and increase the incomes of the farmers in our area. Hats off to SHI!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Gorda
#3 of 17 in Punta Gorda
The Lodge At Big Falls
The Lodge At Big Falls
#1 of 1 in Big Falls

Been to Cotton Tree Lodge? Share your experiences!