“Cotton Tree has got it all!”
Review of Cotton Tree Lodge

Cotton Tree Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We were looking for a blend of adventure, romance, comfort, and opportunity and found it all at Cotton Tree Lodge! My husband loves the outdoors and wanted to find somewhere in Belize to do some hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, and jungle walks. I wanted to do some of these too but also wanted nice accomidations, cleanliness, and great food. Then we found Cotton Tree Lodge. We stayed in the Honeymoon Cabana and thoroughly enjoyed the king-size bed and beautiful bathtub, then we also stayed in another cabana with a queen bed that was wonderful too. The food was incredible (much of it locally, organically grown) with appetizers at 5:30 everyday then a four course meal at 7pm. Breakfast was an unbelievable buffet and the lunches they packed for us were always filling, well balanced and tasty! We enjoyed swimming in the Blue Creek Cave (twice!), walking through the jungle, kayaking and swimming in the Moho River (so refreshing!), a dry cave trip, market day in Punta Gorda, visiting Mayan Ruins and taking supplies to a local school (bring some along or send them ahead. They Really need Big pencil sharpeners, pencils and small notebooks!) plus hanging out in one of the many hammocks, or visiting with new friends we made. We loved to great mix between alone time and community. We met wonderful people from all over the world and came to really love the staff at Cotton Tree too. Bincente took us on many of our trips. He was so informative, pleasant and professional. Antonio was patient and laid back and so helpful. Eduardo and Ernesto made us wonderful drinks and shared what they know about Belize with us with a smile! The staff have a wonderful sense of when you need them and when you need privacy, they are so friendly and made us feel very welcome. We visited in mid-May, some of the hottest weather of the year! Definitely bring cool clothes and drink a tonne of water (bottled water is provided in abundance). The mosquitoes weren't too bad, and we did have a few ants, spiders and cockroaches in our room. We kept in mind though that we were in the the jungle after all, so not all insects can be kept out 100% of the time!

Some recommendations when you are booking...The riverfront cabanas are awesome since you overlook the beautiful Moho river and can watch the iguanas and other lizards chase each other, climb trees and drop in the river right from the comfort of your very own balcony and hammock.
The Blue Creek Cave (a wet cave that you float/swim through with life jackets and headlamps) is breathtakingly beautiful. It's worth going to Belize just for this!

Relax and be prepared for some of the awesome sights and sounds of the jungle!

I could write all day about it, it was a wonderful experience for two Canadians who have never ventured out of North America before!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OCANADIAN

Reviewed 30 April 2008

My family of four stayed at the all-inclusive, Cotton Tree Lodge over Spring Break. It was a fabulous experience. The staff are all so friendly, especially Bincente who looked after my kids one morning while we took a special tour. He didn't even correct us when we called him Vincent. Everyone made it feel like you were being welcomed into a family.
The cabanas are private and luxurious. I'm not sure how they manage to pull off luxury with no a/c, but they definitely do. The cabanas are designed to catch every breeze available and it works.
I especially liked the tour for the Blue River Cave. It's walking/swimming up a cold, spring fed river inside a cave. My kids were cold, so you may want to bring a shorty if you have skinny kids like mine! I loved it. In the afternoons, we would head to the river for a refreshing swim. My kids really loved the rope swing. We used the kayaks to check out the river upstream - who knew my 6-year-old could kayak by herself? I also really enjoyed when Santiago took us on a tour around the lodge. I can't believe how much water can be had from cutting a vine! There were several pregnant horses when we were there, so pretty soon there will be some great riding too!
Overall, it was a wonderful family experience.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ReadyToSplit
Reviewed 22 April 2008

I've always been one to want to experience the heart and soul of a destination... not just the postcard-ready shell that is presented to tourists. The CottonTree Lodge was all I could have ever hoped for and MORE. Located along the inviting Moho River in the Mayan Villages outside of Punta Gorda, Belize, the CottonTree is a gorgeous little bit of luxury in the middle of the jungle. Outstanding cabanas, outrageous food, incredible excursions and a staff that I would welcome each and every one to visit the US and stay in my home.

If you want AC, cable and a pool, you're out of luck. The river is the best pool ever and the nighttime breeze cools the room thru the screen windows as well as a ceiling fan. If you want to experience Mayan culture, the jungle, ancient ruins, getting to know your fellow travellers, falling asleep to the sounds of howler monkeys, learning about the lives of the staff, unbelievable hospitality, spontaneous extras and a true commitment by a resort to better the community in which it is located...then the CottonTree is for you. A week at CottonTree is worth every pennny and then some.

We've never vacationed in the same spot twice. We want something new each time. But we WILL be returning to the CottonTree to check up on the friends we made and to support this amazing lodge. We brought school supplies/learning games for the nearby village schools. You should too : ) You can see complete slideshows and many videos from our trip to Belize as well as our time at the CottonTree at youtube.com/katiegd

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2008

From the moment we got off of the little 12 seat plane in Punta Gorda and into the 12 seat boat headed up the peaceful Moho River, I knew I was in paradise. The Cotton Tree Lodge is a mini village consisting of indigenous Mayan cabanas hand-made of thatch roofs with mahogany details surrounded by lush, green vegetation hugging the riverside. Inside, the cabanas are cozy, clean and comfy. Outside, (those cabanas with verandas) the hammocks and views of the jungle are relaxing. The large local staff is friendly and anxious to please. Our group of 20 women occupied the entire resort and loved every minute of our week-long stay. All of our requests were graciously accommodated. The food was creative, fresh and plentiful. The all-inclusive excursions were well prepared for as to gear, guides and again, plenty of food. Overall, this place is paradise on earth.

• Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank yogini08
Reviewed 25 March 2008

From ages 10 to 71 all five of us were unanimous in giving you a 12 out of a possible 10. You far exceeded any expectations we had. Staff and guests--all great. Interactions with locals didn't feel touristy, just down home friendly. This was not our first trip to Belize but it was our best. Learning about organic farming, sharing lunch with your neighbors down the road, seeing the Howlers, up close and personal, drinking Belikans, and swimming in the river were all terrific. You have found the magic formula--just keep it going.

Ellen & Sandy Luger,
Jesse, Mollie & Sherman Goldblum

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank livelygrandma
Reviewed 20 February 2008

In reflecting on our Belize vacation, both my husband and I had the same reaction. We were very pleasantly surprised. We expected to have fun in a beautiful place, but what the owners of Cotton Tree have been able to accomplish in a relatively short time is truly remarkable! The grounds and facilities are just beautiful and the location by the Moho River is spectacular. We enjoyed all our activities, with the cave swim and the hikes being the most memorable for us. Learning about and making chocolate was fun and educational, and we brought samples home. A really good chocolate mousse is definitely in our future when I find a recipe. We enjoyed the good and plentiful food (especially breakfast!) and we liked the communal living. There was privacy when you wanted it, but always something going on, and always some friendly, interesting folks to talk to. The resorts developers have been very respectful of Belize, both the place and the people. The affection for Jeff and Chris (the owners) is obvious, and the Belizeans, in turn, charmed us and taught us much about their country and culture. Having worked in the marketing field in a service industry, I was especially impressed with the staff. I don’t remember even one instance of someone being rude or inattentive. In fact, even the workers maintaining the grounds stopped to smile and say hello---without exception! On the excursions, the staff took care of all our needs and constantly conveyed information about what we were seeing and experiencing. The entire staff (as a team) was exceptional, with special kudos to Antonio and Holly. All the good things going on at Cottontree reflect a passion for the place and excellent managerial skills.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annsearcy
Reviewed 3 February 2008

If you are looking for a true, in the heart of the jungle experience, stay in the Jungle House, cabin 10. My husband and I stayed for 7 looong nights in the cabin that is far away from everyone but very close to the animals and nature. The cabin is extraordinary, considering it is beautifully built of natural wood and a thatched roof with a hot water shower and electricity, yet you are completely immersed in the jungle. This cabin is not for the faint of heart nor the likes of city slickers like us. There are tarantellas in your cabin, and the walk in the pitch-black night on 3 and then 2 narrow wooden planks was terrifying. I write this because the lodge itself was a 5 star place. The meals, the staff, the entire property was beautiful, including the accessibility of the Moho river which afforded much wildlife viewing on a peaceful river kayak trip. This is truly one of the last rainforest immersions I think you can experience, as our rainforests are being depleted.

That being said, I know had we stayed in Cabins 1-9, closer to the others, we would have had a 6 star experience. Having not read any reviews of the jungle cabin, I think you should know what you're getting into. If you aren't afraid of the dark (and I mean dark) and maglites lighting your way on the 2 planks with leaf cutter ants glowing on your trail and bats flying in front of your maglite, your 5 minute walk should be ok. For me, it was a walk of terror. But again, we came with monogramed luggage from the city, not with a backpacks from REI. All in all, it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it :)

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple