We were looking for a blend of adventure, romance, comfort, and opportunity and found it all at Cotton Tree Lodge! My husband loves the outdoors and wanted to find somewhere in Belize to do some hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, and jungle walks. I wanted to do some of these too but also wanted nice accomidations, cleanliness, and great food. Then we found Cotton Tree Lodge. We stayed in the Honeymoon Cabana and thoroughly enjoyed the king-size bed and beautiful bathtub, then we also stayed in another cabana with a queen bed that was wonderful too. The food was incredible (much of it locally, organically grown) with appetizers at 5:30 everyday then a four course meal at 7pm. Breakfast was an unbelievable buffet and the lunches they packed for us were always filling, well balanced and tasty! We enjoyed swimming in the Blue Creek Cave (twice!), walking through the jungle, kayaking and swimming in the Moho River (so refreshing!), a dry cave trip, market day in Punta Gorda, visiting Mayan Ruins and taking supplies to a local school (bring some along or send them ahead. They Really need Big pencil sharpeners, pencils and small notebooks!) plus hanging out in one of the many hammocks, or visiting with new friends we made. We loved to great mix between alone time and community. We met wonderful people from all over the world and came to really love the staff at Cotton Tree too. Bincente took us on many of our trips. He was so informative, pleasant and professional. Antonio was patient and laid back and so helpful. Eduardo and Ernesto made us wonderful drinks and shared what they know about Belize with us with a smile! The staff have a wonderful sense of when you need them and when you need privacy, they are so friendly and made us feel very welcome. We visited in mid-May, some of the hottest weather of the year! Definitely bring cool clothes and drink a tonne of water (bottled water is provided in abundance). The mosquitoes weren't too bad, and we did have a few ants, spiders and cockroaches in our room. We kept in mind though that we were in the the jungle after all, so not all insects can be kept out 100% of the time!
Some recommendations when you are booking...The riverfront cabanas are awesome since you overlook the beautiful Moho river and can watch the iguanas and other lizards chase each other, climb trees and drop in the river right from the comfort of your very own balcony and hammock.
The Blue Creek Cave (a wet cave that you float/swim through with life jackets and headlamps) is breathtakingly beautiful. It's worth going to Belize just for this!
Relax and be prepared for some of the awesome sights and sounds of the jungle!
I could write all day about it, it was a wonderful experience for two Canadians who have never ventured out of North America before!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our eco-lodge is hidden between the Moho River, the rain forest, and Mayan villages in southern Belize. Stay in beautiful thatch cabanas with private bathrooms and verandas. Enjoy delicious cuisine prepared with organic produce from our garden. Try kayaking, birding, swimming, and horseback riding on the grounds. Connect with the people and culture of Belize on daily tours to villages, Mayan ruins, cacao farms, caves, waterfalls, and more. Or simply relax in a hammock all day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cotton Tree Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cotton Tree Hotel Punta Gorda
- Cotton Tree Lodge Belize/Punta Gorda