I spent five nights at Belcampo and was completely inspired by what the team are doing in terms of food sustainability - they plan to make the lodge almost entirely self-sustaining, with fruit, cacao, sugar cane, vanilla, and so on all grown on the farm. The GM, Mara, has been a chef for 30 years, previously running a prestigious lodge in Canada, and she is a former Slow Food Canada president. The CEO of the company behind Belcampo is a regular Iron Chef judge and sustainability expert. I spent a lot of time talking to Mara about their plans for the farm and it's a thoughtful, classy, and groundbreaking jungle-to-table project.
But all of that aside, Belcampo is also a great place for a holiday. The cabanas are spacious and light-filled and have glowing wooden floors and furnishings, some of which is built in the carpentry workshop on the Belcampo farm. Taking a nap in the hammock on the cabana balcony (enclosed with mosquito netting) makes you feel like you are right in the jungle, which you are: howler monkeys and hummingbirds are just metres away. The food is fantastic; you can taste the difference with a lot of the ingredients coming from the farm - it's as fresh as it gets. Eating breakfast of homemade granola and house-cured bacon, while watching toucans fly by, is a great start to any day. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, and the guides are incredibly knowledgeable about the birds, plants and other wildlife of the jungle. I went kayaking on the river (one of the free activities the lodge offers), and joined the paid trip of snorkelling and manatee spotting. Unfortunately we didn't get to see a manatee, but we saw a shark and lots of fish and colourful corals while snorkelling.
I had a great, relaxing time at this beautiful lodge. But what made the experience even more memorable for me was that I left feeling like I had learned something and that my thinking had changed: food sustainability is something I will be reading about and paying more attention to from now on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agritourism-chic in Punta Gorda: a Jungle Lodge, organic farm and a 12,000-acre nature reserve. Set in the verdant hills above the Caribbean coast of southern Belize in the town of Punta Gorda. From our dock you can embark on our tranquil cruises on the jungle reaches of the Rio Grande, or our guided snorkeling and fishing adventures on the Caribbean Sea. Nim Li Punit and many other attractions are located nearby. At the heart of Belcampo Belize is the Main Lodge with our Jungle Farm Restaurant, the Rum Bar, the Jungle Spa, lounge areas, a swimming pool, and observation decks that open to stunning vistas of the coast, the Maya Mountains and a seemingly endless pristine rainforest. Our 16 individual, spacious suites are well appointed with plush beds, screened fresh-air verandas, and spa-style bathrooms with floor to ceiling tropical rainforest views. Belcampo Belize has 16 private suites offering the best in luxury and comfort. A testament to Belize's natural beauty and craftsmanship, nearly every detail, from the woodwork to the tiles to the artwork, is sourced from local artisans. If you're relaxing on one of the canopy beds or lounging on your own private veranda, you will experience the magic of the jungle within the comfort of your room. Enjoy a drink in our Rum Room with ingredients sourced from our own Cocktail Garden. Meals (including complimentary breakfast daily) are served in our Jungle Farm restaurant. We produce on-site more than 70% of the food we serve to Lodge guests. With extensive gardens, tropical fruit trees, and livestock, our day-to-day food production is a hive of activity year round. Optional tours available are: •Snorkeling •Scuba diving •Fly fishing •Birding •Cultural tours ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Copal Tree Lodge, a Muy'Ono Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belcampo Hotel Punta Gorda
- Copal Tree Lodge, a Muy'Ono Resort Belize/Punta Gorda