My husband and our two children, ages 5 and 7, just spent a remarkable 5 days at Bel Campo, and would recommend it highly.
The place itself is stunning. It’s set on the top of a hill in the midst of a rain forest jungle and the farm that (among other things) provides most of the food for the lodge and employment to a large number of local residents. The facility is tasteful, beautifully decorated and maintained – luxurious without being overstated. We ate most of our meals at the lodge, and the food is fresh and very good.
The true highlight, however, was Bel Campo’s remarkable staff, and the unique experiences they created for us. Each day we ended up engaged in some wonderful activity that had been seemingly customized to suit the ages, capacities and interests of our crew.
- We enjoyed a tour of the farm on our first full day at Bel Campo, explaining organic farming techniques and the development plans for Bel Campo in interesting detail to the three adults in the group, and finding all sorts of things – cacao, sugar cane, star fruits, chicks and chickens, pigs and piglets, for the four children, ages 4-8, in our little tour group to see, feel, taste, feed, etc.
• The farm has just begun its cacao production effort, and we were interested in learning more about the chocolate. Kelly, the Canadian cacao expert on site to assist in the program development and train the local staff, customized what is usually a 6 hour long, technical education program better suited for an adult audience into fun and interesting kid-friendly session during which we got to learn about – and participate in – the chocolate making process. We had the truffles the kids “made” for dessert at dinner!
• We spent a happy day snorkeling with the chef (the talented Brandon – who whipped up yummy fish tacos for us on the boat, and then, in response to my husband's interest in tasting “authentic Belizean” cuisine worked his grandmother’s rice and beans recipe into the dinner that was served to us the next day). We were guided on this outing by Captain Jack – whose family history in the region is fascinating – and by Desmond, a talented young guide who was seemingly everywhere during our visit (picking us up at the airport, helping the girls and I with bikes, and leading our scuba trip). The threesome found spots for us to snorkel where we could ease the little girls into an experience they quickly came to love – and we all had a very happy day.
To a person, the staff worked hard to welcome us and to make the stay special – right down to the end, when many of our new friends came to wave us off as we left for the airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agritourism-chic in Punta Gorda: a Jungle Lodge, organic farm and a 12,000-acre nature reserve. Set in the verdant hills above the Caribbean coast of southern Belize in the town of Punta Gorda. From our dock you can embark on our tranquil cruises on the jungle reaches of the Rio Grande, or our guided snorkeling and fishing adventures on the Caribbean Sea. Nim Li Punit and many other attractions are located nearby. At the heart of Belcampo Belize is the Main Lodge with our Jungle Farm Restaurant, the Rum Bar, the Jungle Spa, lounge areas, a swimming pool, and observation decks that open to stunning vistas of the coast, the Maya Mountains and a seemingly endless pristine rainforest. Our 16 individual, spacious suites are well appointed with plush beds, screened fresh-air verandas, and spa-style bathrooms with floor to ceiling tropical rainforest views. Belcampo Belize has 16 private suites offering the best in luxury and comfort. A testament to Belize's natural beauty and craftsmanship, nearly every detail, from the woodwork to the tiles to the artwork, is sourced from local artisans. If you're relaxing on one of the canopy beds or lounging on your own private veranda, you will experience the magic of the jungle within the comfort of your room. Enjoy a drink in our Rum Room with ingredients sourced from our own Cocktail Garden. Meals (including complimentary breakfast daily) are served in our Jungle Farm restaurant. We produce on-site more than 70% of the food we serve to Lodge guests. With extensive gardens, tropical fruit trees, and livestock, our day-to-day food production is a hive of activity year round. Optional tours available are: •Snorkeling •Scuba diving •Fly fishing •Birding •Cultural tours ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Belcampo Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belcampo Hotel Punta Gorda
- Belcampo Lodge Belize/Punta Gorda