“The most luxurious relaxation spot in the middle of the jungle. Absolutely stunning!!”
Review of Belcampo Lodge

Belcampo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Punta Gorda
La Paz, BCS
Reviewed 14 March 2010

This resort is the best of the best. Soooo gorgeous and in the most amazing location. I can't rave enough about the rooms. These private villas are so comfortable and relaxing and the spa!!!! omg. Their massage room is missing a whole wall. Only to be replaced by a window that opens up to a cliff and the view of the mountains in the jungle. You actually feel like you're floating!
There is a great river just down from the resort and you can kayak up and down it.
We saw parrots and monkeys!!!
If you are going to Belize you absolutely HAVE to stay there at least for a couple nights if not more. They have all these activities to do also. We did the blue creek one. I highly recommend it. They take you swimming inside this cave that goes on for about a mile. It was mega exciting!!

Jane and Bryan are fabulous hosts and make you feel at home the moment you get there. Great service and the people are sooooo friendly and are always smiling. Ducky, a member of the staff has the most happy smile in the world!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SophiaTheurel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Newton, MA
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This was our second visit to Machaca Hill. From the moment we exited our car, our stay was enriched by personal attention from Brian and Jane. We arrived at teatime and there was no caffeine-free black tea among the Lodge's large selection. Brian ran down to their house to bring me some of is own tea. The next day, the supply was replenished. It was raining when we left for our rooms and once again, Brian ran down the hill to fetch his own umbrella. Our very large one was waiting for us in our rooms. It is the obvious intent of the Machaca staff to make their visitors feel right at home. Seeing so many familiar faces from our last visit was really nice. Belize is just like everywhere else. Low staff turnover can a big impact on the quality of service. The staff at Machaca really seems to have a personal investment and pride in the lodge and their country.

We were thrilled to see Ken, the chef, and loved the food as much this year as last. I am a near vegetarian and the attention Ken pays to vegetables, both at lunch and dinner, makes him dear to my heart. The veggies are grown in Machaca's organic garden and are in stand-alone dishes like roast pumpkin risotto or accompany fabulous fish local fish, meat or poultry. We are very active travelers and love having substantial, delicious meals to look forward to multiple times each day.

The guide service continues to be great. We saw lots of animals and Yogi (the guide assigned to us) was able to use our camera to capture pictures when we were not able to hold a steady focus on what was right in front of our eyes. We saw howler monkeys, a beautiful non-venomous snake whose name escapes me, tons of quash, a tayra and a multitude of birds. We hiked Wilson Hill for the first time and loved it. We are pretty independent and prefer some hikes and canoeing alone as well as with a guide. Machaca is able to accommodate our style to perfection.

The only changes that were obvious to us were the enlarged bathrooms and the spa. The bathrooms last year were gorgeous. We could not imagine how they could be improved. The new bathrooms have a shower area large enough for six people. There is a huge plate glass window looking right into the jungle. The elegant cosmetics, candles, and view make this a shower to remember.

The spa was under construction last February. It is beautiful (with a big picture window with a jungle view) and Berta, the masseuse, is a peach. For sheer relaxation, have a massage while you are there.

I could go on and on, but one more thing of import. I am an unabashed iTouch addict (I’ve only had mine for a couple of months) and loved having WiFi. At home, I don’t have time to play with this great toy.

We are already planning our trip for next year. We want to experience Machaca in a different season. We can hardly wait.

1 Thank ptr1010
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Beautiful surroundings, unspoiled nature, birdwatching, hiking, private guide, beautiful river trips (also in the evening), first class quality food and service, very tasteful, high-class
interior design. This lodge is number one for us! We visited a lot of lodges but together with Chaa Creek this is our favorite. In the morning we listened to concerts of the howler monkey's. We will never forget this place. Highly recommended.

A special note about the staff who provided us with excellent service and gave us a warm welcome throughout our stay.

1 Thank Timber11
California
Reviewed 25 February 2010

The highlight of our trip to Belize was hands down Machaca Hill. We were looking for something luxurious but we got SO much more. We were picked up by our amazing guide Yogi, who was assigned to take care of us throughout our stay. He took us to the lodge where we were greeted very graciously by manager Brian and his amazing team. I will never forget the ginger tea and cool towels we were given on our arrival. They sat us down where Brian made us feel like we were staying in his own home. He went over everything Machaca Hill had to offer and finished by saying that "anything can be done" to make our stay perfect. I had even forgotten to buy a memory card and he said that he would have one flown from Belize City if need be. His wife Jane is equally gracious and made sure everything throughout our stay was comfortable.

The rooms: You can't ask for anything better. The rooms are situated in the rainforest on stilts so no room is too close to the other. One whole wall in the room is a screen so you can always hear the sounds of the rainforest. The bed was divine and the bathrooms luxurious - I've never taken a shower in such a HUGE bath tub. Truly luxurious. Every morning we were brought up tea and biscotti before breakfast. At night, you can sit and watch the most sparkly stars twinkle above you in the comfort of your room. At a short period in the middle of the night the rainforest comes alive with the sound of the howler monkeys. Truly a unique experience. Not having phones or TV's in the room is a major plus, because you focus more on your surroundings.

Meals: Chef Ken is AMAZING. Every one of our meals was top notch. They accommodated every one of our dietary restrictions so don't hesitate to ask. We asked for Halal meat and they got it for us. The lodge has its own organic orchard so the food you get is the freshest you can find. Tea time snacks are always delicious, so don't miss it. Go early for breakfast to catch the toucan's nearby. They are also able to set up meals in your room or out during a hike, fishing trip, etc. You name it, they will find a way to do it.

Activities: They really take care of this for you! You ask for something and you can get it. We did a chocolate tour which was amazing - we made our own 100% chocolate and brought it back to Chef Ken and he made desserts out of it! The Mayan villages they take you through are gorgeous and serene. We wanted to see some waterfalls and we were told we'd get a picnic lunch prepared by Chef Ken while we were out. WOW, what a picnic it was! A full on buffet table was set up just for my husband and I, real glassware, serving ware, plates, etc. It was magnificent. And to top it ALL off, they set up a table with a soap dispenser and warm water for us to wash our hands! This is in the middle of a forest next to a waterfall. It was unbelievable. Truly a "picnic, Machaca Hill style" as one of our guides put it! We also went kayaking, hiking and saw some ruins. All the activities were a LOT of fun and they really work hard for you to enjoy yourself.

Truly one of the most luxurious places to stay in Belize, it would be a shame to go to Belize and miss this place. To my husband and I, Machaca Hill MADE our trip to Belize truly worth it. Its one of the few places that have a special place in my heart and is a place worth making a trip down to Belize for.

3 Thank ahsans
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My husband I had the most amazing experience at Machaca Hill Lodge. From the time we arrived, we were treated so well. We were picked up in a really cool jeep and took an amazing short drive along the ocean. Machaca cabanas are located on the top of a hill with breathtaking views. At the bottom of the hill is a really beautiful river that leads out to the ocean. This lodge had amazing amenities - I cannot even describe how happy we were with our room. The shower is incredible - I think 10 people could fit in it at once and it has a view of the rainforest. The rooms have electrical outlets, a beautiful shower, separate toilet room, double sinks, two beds and a big screened in porch with chairs that you can just sit and enjoy the noises of the rainforest. The food at this resort is also such a treat. I was in heaven because I am a huge foodie. Coffee/tea/juice and biscotti (or cookies) come to your room for a wake call every morning. You get to decide exactly what you want delivered and when. Then you have breakfast which is a spread of pastries, fresh juices, eggs anyway, bacon, sausage, etc. As for lunch, you can eat at the lodge or they will pack a picnic for you to take to wherever you will be that day. We went snorkeling one day, so they built a beautiful picnic on an island with a tent and all kinds of amazing foods with beautiful dishes and silverware. They also have high tea everyday (which I miss already) with savory and sweet treats, appetizers and drinks, then a 3-course dinner. Even better then the food (not that this would be possible) is the view from the restaurant where the meals are served. There is a beautiful deck on the top floor of the lodge lobby where the restaurant sits with the most amazing views of the mountains, rainforest and jungles nearby. As far as activities during the day, you can be as active or not active as you would like. The first day my husband and I hiked the trails through the jungle, did the chocolate making tour, and relaxed by the pool. The second day we went snorkeling, which was amazing. Each evening, you can meet with your personal tour guide and tell him exactly what you want to do the next day. This place can pretty much make anything happen that you want to happen. There are night jungle tours and canoeing/kayaking, cave swimming, waterfall jumping, snorkeling, jungle hikes, scuba diving, fishing, Maya tours, chocolate making and the list goes on. More then all the great food, fun adventures and beautiful room, the staff at Machaca was just wonderful. It was such a luxurious vacation, that provided anything you were looking for - relaxation, adventure, a new culture. My husband and I were so amazed at how this trip completely exceeded our expectations. We hope to return as soon as possible. I recommend this trip to anyone - this is a romantic getaway or a great family vacation.

3 Thank RichmondVALuv2Travel
New York City
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My boyfriend and I just spent a fabulous five days at Machaca Hill Lodge and couldn't have been more pleased with the experience. The lodge is beautifully designed and sits atop a hill integrated into the canopy of the rainforest. This unique set up allows you to live among the wildlife that habitates there, including a broad array of beautiful birds, howler monkeys, and other exotic creatures - the names of which now escape me. The rooms are beautifully appointed and luxurious but perfectly appropriate given their jungle location. The lodge is very intimate and its remote location truly allowed us to relax and escape reality. The staff could not have been more accomodating or pleasant. One afternoon, my boyfriend and I ordered probably 15 margueritas and the waiters/bartender were more than happy to indulge us - which was a time consuming effort given that each drink was made from scratch from fresh lemons and limes. Delicious though! Brian and his wife Jane who manage the lodge are delightful and bend over backwards to meet the needs of all of their guests - no matter how absurd the request. Finally, if you are adventure seekers, the excursions at Machaca are to die for. The guides are incredibly knowledgeable, skilled, and friendly. They made a concerted effort to guage our interests and suggested thoughtful excursions that perfectly suited our needs. If you are looking to get away from the rat race and enjoy a stunning, remote, intimate slice of heaven (with no annoying crowds) then Machaca Hill should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 3 January 2010

My mother's, sister's, and my stay at Machaca over Thanksgiving was one of the most enjoyable and unforgettable experiences of our lives. I found out about the property by way of Outside magazine's write-up in the march '08 issue (http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200803/best-eco-getaways-belize.html), and while it earned a top-notch review, seeing the place in person beyond exceeded my expectations. Brian and Jane are the consummate hosts, attentive and responsive to your needs, they even worked with the chef to create a special sampling buffet for the three of us when we mentioned we didn't need a three-course meal every night. The excursions--amazon boat rides, kayaking, hiking trails, bird-watching, Mayan ruins, jumping off waterfalls, chocolate-making, market-going...to name the ones that we opted for--were absolutely incredible. A lot of them were included in the price of the stay, and the ones that weren't were well worth the cost and were even served with a picnic lunch (er, banquet) that put all picnics I'd ever experienced to serious shame. Wilfred was THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE, ENTERTAINING, AND SWEETEST GUIDE EVER and my mom, WHO KNOWS GOOD SPA TREATMENTS, said the aromatherapy massages she got every night with Bertha were the BEST she's ever received. The spa, which overlooks the lush canopy and I was amazed to learn was designed by Brian, is absolutely breathtaking with its beautiful tiered hand-carved wood fountain. Other highlights: guaranteed wildlife sightings like toucans and monkeys, a glorious infinity pool and sun deck, Molton Brown toiletries, impromptu magic shows by a waiter named "Wiz," and Jane and Brian's darling little girls who added so much sunshine to our 5-day stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
#9 of 18 in Punta Gorda
Chan Chich Lodge
Chan Chich Lodge
#1 of 8 in Orange Walk

Been to Belcampo Lodge? Share your experiences!