My wife and I spent 8 days at Machaca. The facility offers outstanding staff, very clean and comfortable accomodations, incredible food, all intertwined in a relaxed, luxurious ambience. The setting is unmatched: The first morning we just sat on our deck and listened to the sounds of the rainforest as its inhabitants started to wakeup. I can't recall any other location where I just wanted to sit quietly and listen.
Did I mention the incredible, engaging staff?
A short boat ride via panga transported us to wonderful flats fishing just 20 to 25 minutes from the lodge. Along the way you can observe howler monkeys, beautiful vegetation, and more birds than you can imagine. Once on the flats, permit were to be seen everywhere, which was the species of choice for our fly fishing efforts. Our guides, Alex and Yogi, were competent, relaxed and supplemented our fishing efforts with information regarding anything from the medicinal value of indigenous plants to Mayan culture.
Don't let me forget to mention how great the staff was.
Chef Ken prepares incredible 3-course dinners, preceded by appetizers and cocktails. You absolutely won't go hungry at Machaca. He relies heavily on his garden that is maintained on the property. Dinners were served on the veranda overlooking the rainforest. In the morning, we often dined with toucans watching our every move. One morning, 10 of the little buggers joined us for breakfast. Amazing! For goodness' sakes, have the chocolate mousse if it is offered.....AMAZING!
The area's signature inhabitants are the Howler Monkeys. They, too, contribute to the magnetic attraction of the area with their......ahem........"unique" calls. We absolutely loved them, despite the fact that they frequently feel the need to converse at 4:00 a.m.!
Finally, I have to emphasize the qualities of the staff. You can always rely on being treated like very special guests, and in a manner that is not overbearing. We grew to be very fond of each and every person who we normally encountered during our daily routines. Our departure was accompanied by near-tearful good-byes to everyone.
Although this facility stands out a bit because of its pricing schedule, I am very comfortable in saying that it is an excellent value. It is truly a case of you getting what you pay for, and it just happens to be in a unique, beautiful area that is largely unmatched.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agritourism-chic in Punta Gorda: a Jungle Lodge, organic farm and a 12,000-acre nature reserve. Set in the verdant hills above the Caribbean coast of southern Belize in the town of Punta Gorda. From our dock you can embark on our tranquil cruises on the jungle reaches of the Rio Grande, or our guided snorkeling and fishing adventures on the Caribbean Sea. Nim Li Punit and many other attractions are located nearby. At the heart of Belcampo Belize is the Main Lodge with our Jungle Farm Restaurant, the Rum Bar, the Jungle Spa, lounge areas, a swimming pool, and observation decks that open to stunning vistas of the coast, the Maya Mountains and a seemingly endless pristine rainforest. Our 16 individual, spacious suites are well appointed with plush beds, screened fresh-air verandas, and spa-style bathrooms with floor to ceiling tropical rainforest views. Belcampo Belize has 16 private suites offering the best in luxury and comfort. A testament to Belize's natural beauty and craftsmanship, nearly every detail, from the woodwork to the tiles to the artwork, is sourced from local artisans. If you're relaxing on one of the canopy beds or lounging on your own private veranda, you will experience the magic of the jungle within the comfort of your room. Enjoy a drink in our Rum Room with ingredients sourced from our own Cocktail Garden. Meals (including complimentary breakfast daily) are served in our Jungle Farm restaurant. We produce on-site more than 70% of the food we serve to Lodge guests. With extensive gardens, tropical fruit trees, and livestock, our day-to-day food production is a hive of activity year round. Optional tours available are: •Snorkeling •Scuba diving •Fly fishing •Birding •Cultural tours ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Evoline ltd and Priceline so you can book your Belcampo Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belcampo Hotel Punta Gorda
- Belcampo Lodge Belize/Punta Gorda