“Pacquare Eco Lodge”

Whitewater Rafting on the Pacuare River in Costa Rica
Full-Day San Jose to Pacuare River Rafting Class III-IV
Ranked #187 of 679 things to do in Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful river runs from the Caribbean Coast inland almost to Cartago.
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

You take a raft to arrive and depart from the pacquare river lodge. It is absolutely beautiful and a small paradise. There is a magical quality about this place and the staff is incredible--friendly, helpful, reassuring and welcoming. I can't recommend this place enough. The adventures offered are also outstanding from zip lining to horseback riding to exquisite candle lit dinners topped off with an exhilarating white water raft trip on departure that is dreamy. Go!, but don't spoil it.

1  Thank WanderlustJL

Reviewed 7 December 2013

My girlfriend and I went on the white water rafting trip with Expladores Outdoors in November and both loved it. It was our first time rafting but it felt good and there were thorough safety instructions given beforehand. Good instructors tried to make the day fun despite slightly low water levels. Beautiful ride down the river! Pura Vida.

1  Thank gingemck
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This 16 mile run starts with some easy II/III rapids, then as you enter the canyon the rapids pick up and you encounter a few class IV's. Our guide local Luis Flores was excellent! He was great in giving good lines and stopped for use the scout the harder rapids. It is a good idea to hire a local guide, since they know the best put-in's and take-out's, as well as where the "big" rapids start. Make sure you hike to the waterfall, just before Double Drop. When the white water calms down you get some lovely views.

1  Thank Morresa
Reviewed 7 August 2013

For many years I hungered for a Costa Rica adventure and nature trip, so I was delighted to learn from Gecko Trail Adventures that I could hit the ground running by combining my long-awaited Pacuare River rafting dream with transport to the Caribbean Coast. The rafting portion was conducted by Exploradores Outdoors, an outfit with a great staff, equipment, food and attitude, as well as profound concern with safety. We were fortunate to be on a bus with Andres, whose safety and instruction briefing was delivered with the talent and humor of a polished stand-up comic. We were laughing out loud but none of us forgot a word he said. When we later disbursed into first-class inflatable rafts with another guide (only six guests per raft and guide) , we were made to practice all the rowing and rescue instructions. I felt very safe.

In my US rafting experiences, most of the hard work was done by guides. Different in Costa Rica. Although these guides worked very hard, we were the crew and the paddling was demanding. It was great fun to work as a team, following directions without question, and enjoying lots of easy rapids as well as the more exhilarating and challenging levels 3 and 4. The guides know the river intimately and do a fabulous job of keeping their rookie guests above water.

Be prepared to get wet. The water temperature is comfortable and there are a couple of swim stops. The guides also encourage splash fights between the rafts. I made the mistake of splashing Oso, who then tried to kidnap me from my raft a couple of times. He's a real character.

The experience was exceptional, the scenery beautiful, and excursion with Exploradores highly recommended.

Warning: be sure to have a Visa or MC with you for purchases at the adventure center, i.e., water, beer, t-shirts or cd. They don't accept cash. But you'll want some cash for the tip your guide is sure to earn.

3  Thank sbrink
Reviewed 3 April 2013

For $99, we take the rafting trip on the Pecuare from Puerto Viejo to San Jose as our last hurrah on our trips to Costa Rica. It's an amazing ride from pick up at hotel, then breakfast at the lodge in the morning, sightseeing along the 18 mile ride, braving the class 3 and 4 rapids, listening to the funny and knowledgeable guides, lunch half way down in the jungly river bank, return to home camp before boarding to your next destination. Overnight trips also available. We use Exploradores Outdoors Exploradores (book through Gecko Trails). Ask for Andres or Fernando as guides and don't forget to tip.

2  Thank SatHizFakShon