“Great place to raft!”

Whitewater Rafting on the Pacuare River in Costa Rica
Full-Day San Jose to Pacuare River Rafting Class III-IV
Ranked #187 of 679 things to do in Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful river runs from the Caribbean Coast inland almost to Cartago.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The scenery along the river is stunning. The guides go out of there way to ensure everyone has a great time. I would describe the rapids as "prefect for an adventurous beginner". If you're an extreme adrenaline junkie or have a lot of experience white water rafting you'd be best rafting this river after a lot of rain or during the wet season.

I'd recommend Exploradores. They're very professional and the fact that they will pick you up and drop you off at pretty much and location along the conventional tourist trail in Costa Rica makes them a great option for anyone trying to save on transportation costs while traveling around the country.

4  Thank Franc C

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We did the lower part (most popular) rafting with Exploradores, a good agency.

The nature is incredible!
A four hour river rafting through pristine forest, really nice.
Did see quite a few cool birds, but no animals.

The rafting itself is so-so, depending on what you expect.
Its between grade 1-4, 1 being float and 4 being fast whitewhater.
It was only a couple of places which qualified for grade 4 in dry season.

1  Thank Eirik R
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have been lucky enough through the years to travel this planet several times and in the process have used numerous travel companies.

My latest rafting/cycling trip with Bike Hike Adventures (Titled "Ride To Conquer Costa Rica") in Feb/2014 was one of the most enjoyable trips ever!!

As always, right from the beginning, both Trish(owner) and Meghan(operations mgr) made sure everything was covered and all my questions were answered promptly. Upon arrival in San Jose, I was picked up and taken to a nice hotel, where I met my other fellow adventurers.

A few highlights:

1) The head guide Mike has been doing trips in CR for 20 years. His local knowledge ,experience and people skills are first class and in my mind the best I have ever dealt with... In addition, his team of guides who provided all services were not only professional but very personable as well, so much fun and did I mention how great the meals were!!!!

2) While this trip was mostly cycling from coast to coast (awesome), there was a couple days of enjoyable white water rafting on the Pacuare River with amazing scenery and time for play. My first day on the river was done with an inflatable kayak which was an invigorating option for the more adventuresome types:-) The first night on the river was spent at a wilderness ecolodge, truly special:-) The cycling portion of the trip allowed all classes of riders to enjoy themselves and take in the scenery. We had van support throughout the 7 days ride and once again our guides were always supportive and funny...

3) The group dynamics on this trip were the best I have ever experienced in all my years! The group size was large (16), but consisted of well travelled easy going, and friendly adventuresome personalities. The most amazing thing I found was that we all got along famously, like one big happy family:-)

I will always savour those wonderful moments and all the pics that were taken of this trip:-)

Congratulations to Trish and the Bike Hike team for another amazing adventure.

I look forward to my next trip with much anticipation.

As they say in Costa Rica "Pura Vida"

Reviewed 27 March 2014

incredible rafting viwew wow!!!!!!!! a must you got to see, jurassic park view for a low price!!!!!!

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

You take a raft to arrive and depart from the pacquare river lodge. It is absolutely beautiful and a small paradise. There is a magical quality about this place and the staff is incredible--friendly, helpful, reassuring and welcoming. I can't recommend this place enough. The adventures offered are also outstanding from zip lining to horseback riding to exquisite candle lit dinners topped off with an exhilarating white water raft trip on departure that is dreamy. Go!, but don't spoil it.

1  Thank WanderlustJL