“Super-friendly family-run b&b.”

Hostal Guatefriend's
“Super-friendly family-run b&b.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I'm very late with this review but I enjoyed my stay very much. Very friendly atmosphere. Joe & Anna were terrific. At one dinner, Joe treated us to an exotic fruit tasting. It was fabulous. Close to the airport and a 15-minute taxi ride to the center. I became ill on my visit and Joe noticed my distress and took it upon himself to move me to a room with more privacy. Wonderful people!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Orem, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

I am a resident and citizen of Central America who travels frequently to other countries, including Guatemala.
We stayed at GuateFriends because it is very reasonably priced, has a great location for traveling around the city, it's close to the the airport, has super friendly owners and great food.
We live in the States and I am sure most of our group have come to expect certain standards of quality and cleanliness that we also found here. For sure there were other places called backpackers hotels that were dirt cheap $4 a night, but you can't beat peace of mind and feeling secure while sleeping. Also having breakfast prepared for you with care and also accommodating a rather large group was amazing. Ana also helped in getting good transportation within the city that we could trust. The transportation staff was great and friendly. They were courteous and always on time.

Thanks Ana and Joe for making breakfast early in the morning.

Both Spanish and English are spoken.
It's a place I look forward to visiting.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed at Guatefriend's just for one night before flying out of the country and it was very convenient. It's 1km from the airport and the price included a ride to the airport, which was great.
The people running Guatefriend's were nice and it had a family feel to the place. Especially after all the negative stuff I'd read about Guatemala City, I felt very safe there.
Rooms were clean and bright, and the showers were good and hot.
If you were staying for longer, there is a kitchen and a dining area.
All in all, very good. The only gripe I have is that our bill was surprisingly expensive. It might just be in comparison to other places in Guatemala, but one night and dinner came to the same as three nights elsewhere. Tax isn't included in the price quoted and if you need to pay by credit card another 6% gets added on.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank cat_bolsover
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

3 simple words:
-Hospitality
-Relaxed
-Safe

My girlfriend and I stayed at GuateFriends while passing through Guatemala City. Great rooms, good food and a friendly and relaxing atmosphere. We can only advice travellers to visit the family.
All the best from Tanja and Martin, Denmark.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBA01
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

Showed up late and in the rain because of a airline delay, and Anna was more than helpful in easing my aggravation. Joe had delicious warm drinks that we were not expecting and were not accustomed to waiting for us when we arrived. The beds were clean and smelled fresh. The colors of the rooms and decor really gave me a feeling of the culture that I was to embark upon the next week of business. Anna was able to find ne anything I needed in the area and Joe and Anna were able to furnish everything I needed to stay in contact with Corporate. Excellent understanding of what it takes to make it in the business world. Will definitely visit when in the area again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Joe and Anna were lovely people. they couldn't do enough to make my stay happy. The food was wonderful and I had many 'menu' conversations with Joe. I will even try to grow a few fruits when I am back home due to his knowledge. Their children were a delight, and my trip to the zoo with Angelo was a beautiful day out. If I ever return to Guatemala I will definitely stay with Joe and Ana.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Chimaltenango
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

We (~25yrs) stayed at Guatefriends after arriving in Guatemala City late at night. We had friends who picked us up at the airport, so that we didn't need the offered shuttle. But I am sure it wouldn't have been a problem for Joe and Ana either.
We really enjoyed our first night in Guate, meeting such friendly and sympatic people. The atmosphere was familiar. The rooms were clean and sufficient. For breakfast we had a good cup of coffee and oatmeal.

To sum it up: Our vacation started very well. We hope to come back some time.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends