“Friendly and fun.”

Hostal Guatefriend's
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly and fun.”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I'm also very late with my review and have been meaning to write it since I got back to London. I've done a lot of travelling all over the world and have probably stayed in at least 150 different hotels/hostels/B&Bs and Guatefriends B&B in Guatemala City is easily one of my favourites. I found them randomly on the internet and only booked for one night as I hadn't heard many positive things about the city but I ended up staying for three nights and kept coming back over the 2 months that I spent travelling around the country. Joe & Ana were such welcoming hosts and I soon felt part of the family. They were the first people I met in Guatemala and were a great introduction to a beautiful country. They're fun and informative and it's obviously important to them that you have a good time whilst you're staying there. I was to sad to leave but I hope to visit again in the future. Joe & Ana - thank you!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank littlestobo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I'm very late with this review but I enjoyed my stay very much. Very friendly atmosphere. Joe & Anna were terrific. At one dinner, Joe treated us to an exotic fruit tasting. It was fabulous. Close to the airport and a 15-minute taxi ride to the center. I became ill on my visit and Joe noticed my distress and took it upon himself to move me to a room with more privacy. Wonderful people!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Orem, Utah
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I am a resident and citizen of Central America who travels frequently to other countries, including Guatemala.
We stayed at GuateFriends because it is very reasonably priced, has a great location for traveling around the city, it's close to the the airport, has super friendly owners and great food.
We live in the States and I am sure most of our group have come to expect certain standards of quality and cleanliness that we also found here. For sure there were other places called backpackers hotels that were dirt cheap $4 a night, but you can't beat peace of mind and feeling secure while sleeping. Also having breakfast prepared for you with care and also accommodating a rather large group was amazing. Ana also helped in getting good transportation within the city that we could trust. The transportation staff was great and friendly. They were courteous and always on time.

Thanks Ana and Joe for making breakfast early in the morning.

Both Spanish and English are spoken.
It's a place I look forward to visiting.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed at Guatefriend's just for one night before flying out of the country and it was very convenient. It's 1km from the airport and the price included a ride to the airport, which was great.
The people running Guatefriend's were nice and it had a family feel to the place. Especially after all the negative stuff I'd read about Guatemala City, I felt very safe there.
Rooms were clean and bright, and the showers were good and hot.
If you were staying for longer, there is a kitchen and a dining area.
All in all, very good. The only gripe I have is that our bill was surprisingly expensive. It might just be in comparison to other places in Guatemala, but one night and dinner came to the same as three nights elsewhere. Tax isn't included in the price quoted and if you need to pay by credit card another 6% gets added on.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank cat_bolsover
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 22 April 2011

3 simple words:
-Hospitality
-Relaxed
-Safe

My girlfriend and I stayed at GuateFriends while passing through Guatemala City. Great rooms, good food and a friendly and relaxing atmosphere. We can only advice travellers to visit the family.
All the best from Tanja and Martin, Denmark.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBA01
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Showed up late and in the rain because of a airline delay, and Anna was more than helpful in easing my aggravation. Joe had delicious warm drinks that we were not expecting and were not accustomed to waiting for us when we arrived. The beds were clean and smelled fresh. The colors of the rooms and decor really gave me a feeling of the culture that I was to embark upon the next week of business. Anna was able to find ne anything I needed in the area and Joe and Anna were able to furnish everything I needed to stay in contact with Corporate. Excellent understanding of what it takes to make it in the business world. Will definitely visit when in the area again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
home
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Joe and Anna were lovely people. they couldn't do enough to make my stay happy. The food was wonderful and I had many 'menu' conversations with Joe. I will even try to grow a few fruits when I am back home due to his knowledge. Their children were a delight, and my trip to the zoo with Angelo was a beautiful day out. If I ever return to Guatemala I will definitely stay with Joe and Ana.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo