“Excellent-- Hosts go out of their way to help you.”
Review of Quetzalroo

Quetzalroo
Reviewed 5 April 2011

The hosts went above and beyond the call of duty to invest time in us as guests and make sure we made the most of our time in Guatemala City.

We were blown away with the generosity of Manuel and his staff. They shuttled us to the airport, brought us to their favorite spots to eat, tour around, and they shared their knowledge and love of their city and country. We felt very safe with their care and enjoyed our time there. Make this hostel your choice when you fly into Guatemala City.

Guatemala is fortunate to have such great ambassadors in their tourism industry.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 March 2011

Since the moment I arrived I felt at home in this beautiful, cozy hostel. The environment is light, colorful and propitious to meet other travelers. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean. It's really hard to find such good places when you're traveling with a low budget and Quetzalroo was definitively a finding. Besides that, the owner is absolutely caring and attentive to the guests needs. It was the best welcome to Guatemala I could ever have.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Bethania_Maia
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My partner and I had to do the overnight thing in GC to get on a plane to Cuba and then a similar thing on the way back as we were making our way to the states.

Both times we were picked up from the airport with a smile and with the guys waiting for us.

The boys, Manuel and his brother are very trustworthy and their word is their bond - they will do what they say they will do and that is very re assuring when you have planes and buses to catch.

Early morning drop offs and late night pick ups - what a great service to have - BRILLIANT - even waited for us to get on the Chicken Bus before driving off - great service.

Make sure that you ask Manuel totake you to his favourite dinner place in GC - very cheap and very tasty in deed.

No doubt the boys will have another hostel soon and will be running a chain of very successful hostels through central america, because the way they run their business is possibly the most profesional I have seen in my 8 months of travelling around the world.

Nice work guys - good luck with it all and I will be sure to book in with you when I am next in Guatemala.

Cheers - Simon

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimmoandDanno
Reviewed 12 March 2011

A lot of people will tell you "if you go to guatemala city (GC) you'll be robbed / killed / kidnapped" within moments of stepping off the plane. While I'm sure this could happen, it's most likely the most BS advice you'll ever get.

This is fear mongoring. We wanted to check out GC and saw Quetzelroo was the only true hostel (Meaning it wasn't just a cheap hotel, had things like a common room etc). So we booked after hearing good things about this "Manuel guy".

Well it's true Manuel and everyone he employs really care about your stay. They'll either pick you up from teh airport or get someone else to. As soon as we landed we called him from the free tourist phone and he told us who our driver was. To my surpise (I was expecting to have to wait) he was there waiting for us.

We ended up meeting Manuel the next day and he drove us around, took us for breakfast and ate with us. He discussed his views about life in Guatemala, travels and helped map out the country and the approx transit time on buses. His english is fantasti which is a big plus.

We went for a walk to find lunch and there are many upscale bars and restos near the hostel. We found one called "I love saul" which I think is a chain, it had a nice patio so we ate there and had some AMAZING coffee and food. The first car we saw in the parking lot was a Porche 911 Turbo S, so there's money in Guatemala, and this hostel is right in the financial district / zone viva. There is a shopping mall nearby that is the type of standard you'd expect from a high end shopping mall in US / Canada / Western Europe so if thats what your into his hostel is close to that.

Otherwise people really told us some messed up stuff about GC, which I'm sure could be true if you went deep into the bad neighborhoods. We felt perfectly safe, and knowing we had manual close by for advice or a ride if we chose. He even encouraged us to take the chicken bus to Antigua, which we did and it was AWESOME.

Now if your going to be scared about anything in GC, it's random tripping hazards. The area around financial district has random holes in the sidewalk which do not have any sort of pylon or warning. If your used to North American safety standards this place has a lot of unmarked hazards. Black cables running from local phone lines, random stuff sticking out of the sidewalk.

Nothing you can't avoid, but be careful if your wearing flip flops, and if you go out and get drunk, just take a taxi. They don't cost much and if your a little tipsy you could easily miss a tripping hazard that could send you to the hospital (which is ironically across the street from the hostel).

Right from the start I like Manuel's attitude, I emailed him and said "hey do you have some sort of outdoor common area?" he replied "well not really, but we have a roof, and you can take some charis up there" and thats what we did!

He is very accomodating, and my friends even went back to stay at his hostel and he said he was very welcoming.

I really really can't say good enough things. Without sound snobbish, Manuel is a really good resource if you have to go through GC. He'll drive you to the night bus terminal, get you your bus ticket (if your going to Tikal / Flores), then drive you back to the hostel, then drive you in time for the bus.

It's a bit pricier compared to hostels in Antigua and San Pedro La Laguna, but the extra money spent here can easily be made up in not having to pay for taxi's since Manuel and his crew will drive you.

Stop listening to fear mongering BS about Guatemala City, go for yourself and form your own opinion. I heard way too many far fetched tales at hostels implying that Guatemala City is some sort of death trap.

We never felt unsafe and we look so gringo it's not even funny. Walking the streets the locals didn't even give us a second look. I found Guatemalan's in general keep to themselves and don't give werid looks or harrass even the most gringo looking tourists.

Do yourself a favor, GO AND FORM YOUR OWN OPINION. Don't just repeat non sense you hear from backpackers at hostels.

I've travelled to over 32 european countries and stayed at countless hostels. The Quetzelroo is the perfect place to base yourself.

Manuel also allows anyone to use his laptop to do a bit of surfing, which is a nice touch.

I have a strong feeling that Manuel really wants to change peoples views about GC and he's doing an AMAZING job. Obviously its a large sprawling metropolis, and a country that has a number of social and poverty issues. This does not mean you will die the moment you leave the airport. Give it a try, you might like it.

Great selection of restaurants, cheap / mid / high end restaurants. For those of us from North America you can eat at a good steak house for $20 tax / tip in. While i'm sure some budget backpackers are angered reading this, it's good value. Yes you can eat for $4 but sometimes you want to spoil yourself.

There's also a mcdonalds next door, in case you feel like a taste of ronalds meat.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank HotelsRboring
Reviewed 18 February 2011

This is hands down the best place I've stayed at on my trip to Guatemala and Honduras. The staff are one happy family and make you feel so welcome that you won't want to leave.
For the price I can't imagine how you'd find a better place to stay in Central America.

Free Airport pickup, vegiemite on toast for breakfast, amazing walking tour, really nice rooms and free wifi.

Look no further... stay at Quetzalroo.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Manuel, Marcos Ana, Isabel, Mercedes, Aurelio and other know what they are doing.
Everybody who stays there enjoys it at the most. Very chilled place to relax.
You name it
Free airport/bus stop pickup and they take you back also.
Free and fest wifi and they offer a computer for who's traveling without computer.
Free great breakfast.
Free movies
Can use the kitchen.
Great for all type of travelers, solo, couple, small group.
comfortable bed, no bugs. hot shower.
Man I had it all.
3 thumbs up

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank ArthurAloha
Reviewed 16 February 2011

My friend and I were in Guatemala City for a day before catching a flight the next day and we weren't intending to do much there as we were (frankly) a little worried about the safety of the city. However, our fears were dispelled by the amazing owner of Quetzalroo, Manuel. He gave us a very informative and interesting tour around the city center and was extremely generous and friendly. The hostel also provides delicious breakfast (loved the guava jam!!) and comfortable facilities. A must-stay in Guatemala City!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends