“Make this your first stop in Guatemala”
Review of Quetzalroo

Quetzalroo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This was my first and last port of call on my trip to Guatemala. I would highly recommend staying here if you are in Guatemala city. The hostel is very clean, has decent showers and the rooms and dorms are nice.
The staff here are amazing. its run by a family who will go out of their way in every direction to make your stay here comfortable. I would recommend doing the bike tour of the city with Marcos. It will give you a great introduction to the city. I was planning to arrive and leave Guat city but am so happy i got to see the nice side of capital, thanks to this bike tour. its cheap and very informative. If you are staying in the city, make this your place.

Room Tip: do the bicycle tour of the city with Marcos. Very enjoyable. And eat the street food. its AMAZING
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank iamgordonok

Reviewed 12 March 2014

PROS
- The Peligroso tour is great
- Close to a Mall
- Safe area
- Cheap
- Drinkable water
- Shuttle to the airport

CONS
- Hard to find
- Privates are in the middle of the shared dorms.
- It is in a 6th floor

Probably the worst thing is that you have to go through the shared dorms in order to get to your room. Even when you know the people sleeping there should know that you will go through at any time, the experience is incredibly embarrassing. My tour guide was waiting for me at 5am and I had to wake them up while crossing and opening the door.

The best thing is for sure the city tour. They take you to the main attractions (city hall, market, central square, etc) using the bus system. It is something that would not know how to do it on your own.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ameseguer
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Clean, nice, helpfull and friendly budget hotel in the big city. The perfect place to begin a trip in Guatemala with a lot of much needed services such as good advising, free drinkable water, shuttle service in the city and the opportunity to do a walking tour in the capitol and to discover by yourself how the city can be interesting and safe.

Wonderfull place, really.

Room Tip: Make a reservation a week before you get there if you want a private room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

First point is that this place is very hard to find - even for tax drivers. It's in the 'hospital zone' and actually shares a building and front gate with an ear clinic.
The mother and son owners are helpful enough (although I sensed an underlying surliness from the son which may explain previous reviewers comments).
However, compared to other budget places in the city, this is VERY expensive - two hundred for a private and one forty five for a dorm!!!
As per a previous review, I had to walk through what appeared to be an overflow dorm to get to my private room.
The comfiness of the bed was OK, cleanliness was very good throughout. No problems of noise transference. Free drinking water. I didn't experience whatever breakfast they may offer. The area is safe.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My stay at the Quetzalroo was amazing! Clean rooms, quiet, fair pricing for the overall experience of the place, complementary breakfast, friendly staff, informative tours of Guatemala city, it has it all. Maria the owner is a total sweetheart, treats you like you are one of her own children. The owners son Marcos, goes above and beyond on his tours of the city, taking you an a walking tour of the city and really immersing you on the culture and inner workings of the city and its unique culture. They are willing to take you to and from the airport as well. As not to bore you the reader, I completely recommend anyone visiting Guatemala City to stay at the Quetzalroo!

-James

P.S. Thanks Marcos and Maria for everything I loved my stay at the Quetzalroo!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Lovely people with chilled atmosphere and so many trips to offer. If you stay here, you will find a comfort zone in Guatemala City. Marcos and everybody else working there help you wherever and whenever they can to make you feel welcome in the capital. Unfortunately I found it only one day before my flight home, but I would absolutely recommend this place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Unfortunately, we had a similar experience to Jalopy42 below. Although we were not shouted at, we felt constantly patronised during our stay (luckily of one night only).

As soon as we arrived, we were asked why we were only staying one night, where we were going next, how did we intend to get there etc. When I said that we would be getting a local bus to Coban, we were asked why we wanted to go there, what time would we be going and told that there were only buses at 3am and 4am so we would be best to take their recommended tourist shuttle bus.

Of course, this was completely incorrect information and Monja Blanca coaches leave every 30 minutes from the Centra Norte terminal (approx. Q80 taxi ride away), direct to Coban. I know this because we took the bus ourselves, on a comfy coach for Q60 each - a fraction of the price of the tourist shuttle bus.

I tried to ignore the inquisitive nature of the first member of staff, until we were interrupted in the evening by another member of staff asking 'where are you going tomorrow?' We were taken aback, as it was completely out of the blue as he fired constant questions at us, yet again, telling us we would have to go at 3am or 4am. I informed him that this was not the case and he quizzed us on why we wanted to go to Coban, saying that 'everyone goes to Semuc'.

We were of course fully aware of the fact that 'everyone goes to Semuc' and very frustrated at feeling the need to justify ourselves to both members of staff who seemed to be picking at anything we said to trip up just to sell us tickets to their shuttle buses and ensure that we stayed in the hostels they recommended.

After travelling around Central America for nearly 5 months, we are fully capable of finding our own method of transport and accommodation and were fed up of being patronised. Unfortunately, as I tried to end the conversation he was very persistent saying 'let me know if you need any recommendations', but it was clear that we were not interested.

Later on, he persistently asked another traveller what her plans were and as soon as she mentioned a vague idea of studying Spanish, he told her she must meet with him the next morning to discuss the various schools in Xela, even though she hadn't even heard of Xela!

The rooms were clean but this was the highest price we've paid for a private room with a shared bathroom in Central America, and the pushy staff made us feel uncomfortable right from the start.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple