“Amazing Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Quetzalroo
Monterrey, Mexico
“Amazing Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

When we planned our trip, our initial idea was, to stay in guatemala city for a night and then move on...but then my buddie´s luggage got lost and waiting for it we ended up staying 3 nights and 4 days - and it was so worth it!

Hostel Quetzalroo is clean, nice and has SO friendly and helpful staff! Marcos - amazing guy! - takes you out to see many of the reasons, why guatemala city is actually a really nice place. We went to guatemalas best barrista (no.19 in the world) and had awesome cafe, saw nice bookstores and art-exhibitions (all for free) and even went to a concert with over 1500 visitors (for the price of only one quetzal). So there is loads of stuff to do and to see in the city - which is something many people do not know. Thanks to Marcos and the Quetzalroo I know better now - so if you stay in Guate - STAY IN THE QUETZALROO!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

What nice people! We were on our honeymoon, and after finding that out, Maria snuck a bunch of flowers into our room. Awwwww!

They guided us nicely to the ins and outs of Guatemala City. At one point, they even took us to the BEST coffee house ever (just to be nice to us). It was really more like staying with some friends than staying at a hostel. They also organized our trip with rides to Antigua and Pacaya.

We got a private room that was accessible by entering the bunk rooms. It was a little weird when we walked in on some lady changing clothes, but eh, what can ya do. They also had an awesome roof to hang out on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

It is so hard to find a decently priced hostel in GC that's in a good area!! I looked for quite some time, and finally caved in and came here.
Disappointments:
- For two of us in a tiny private room with shared bathroom, $35! That is the most we have paid in 16 months of travel through South and Central America.
-The walls were thin and we were next to the reception, so it didn't get quiet until after 11, a bummer since our pickup was at 5am the next day.
- They didn't offer us any breakfast to take with us since we were leaving early.

Good things:
- Safe and good location for walking to a couple of museums (highly reccomend the Popul Voh) and Americanized restaurants.
- They are storing some things for us while we travel around Guate
- Hopefully we'll have a free lift to the airport when we return for a night before we fly out.
- The staff were generally helpful and we reserved our shuttle to Copan through them.

Overall, I have to give it just average because for those prices, I expect much more comfort. A good choice if you are just popping through the City before you fly out.

Room Tip: Try to get on a differnemt floor other than the lobby!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here one night before a flight and stayed in a dorm. Everything was very clean and the beds comfortable. The staff was all very friendly and welcoming, I was invited on a bike ride that evening but was exhausted after a long bus ride from Honduras. Of course, I slept well and enjoyed the best bread I have had in months for breakfast, along with fresh fruit, delicious homemade jams and hot coffee for breakfast. The hostel seems to be in a very safe area of Guatemala City, I had no worries about security in the hostel or walking around the neighborhood. Additionally, they offer an airport shuttle, and that was the reason I chose this hostel. Cabbies in Guatemala City, like everywhere else in the world, may not always be the most honest and I knew having my ride to the airport included would offset Quetzalroo's higher price - in addition to being one less thing to stress about. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

A must stay for those backpacking or looking for hospitality in the intimidating city of Guatemala City. Arrived, tired from a long bus ride late in the evening and was greeted by Maria and her son. Maria warmed up some veggie lasagna, soup and bread from lunch for my dinner. At the dining table, met the most interesting travelers from all over the world. Even watched the US play in the World Cup from the common room. The room was clean and comfortable. Maria is available to answer any questions on tours or volunteering. Pick ups and drop offs to/from the airport are included in your stay - and even a hug goodbye if you're lucky. Couldn't have asked for a better stay and I will certainly return. Oh yeah, and a delicious fresh fruit and toast breakfast is served every morning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
co
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I spent my last night in Guatemala here. I got the private room with a small balcony. It was very nice. Nothing super special but it was clean and quiet the bathroom was just down the hall. I hated all the stairs to get to the rooms but over all it was a good value and like I said great place for 1 night. Its great that they offer pick up and drop off to the airport the driver was very nice. Everything was smooth and easy.

Room Tip: When I was there the whole place was very quiet but I did enjoy having a room I could step out onto...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Belize City, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

As soon as I arrived I was helped with my bags and welcomed by Marcos and the staff. I was nervous about travelling by myself but was made to feel like I was at home at Quetzalroo, it was a really lovely experience especially as Marcos helped and advised me where to go/ where to stay on my onwards travels. All the guests were lovely and we all went out to eat dinner together (which the hostel dropped us to and picked us up from!!) There was such a friendly vibe from Quetzalroo I can not thank them enough for welcoming me to Guatemala with their homely attitude and interesting facts about the city!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo