“Ambassador of Guatemala City”
Review of Quetzalroo

and 1 more site!
Quetzalroo
Reviewed 16 February 2011

My friend and I were in Guatemala City for a day before catching a flight the next day and we weren't intending to do much there as we were (frankly) a little worried about the safety of the city. However, our fears were dispelled by the amazing owner of Quetzalroo, Manuel. He gave us a very informative and interesting tour around the city center and was extremely generous and friendly. The hostel also provides delicious breakfast (loved the guava jam!!) and comfortable facilities. A must-stay in Guatemala City!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Quetzalroo

Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stumbled upon this place from the recommendation of a couple travelers we befriended in Tikal. Probably the best decision of our trip! We only saved one day at the end of our travels for Guatemala City, because we had heard so much about the violence and danger of the city (from foreigners and Guatemalans alike). Quetzalroo made our stay so safe, comfortable, interesting, and enjoyable! In the $15/person rate, they include pick-up/drop-off from the airport or bus station ... even after their car broke down on the afternoon of our arrival, they still managed to pick us up with their trusted taxi driver. Because we were a couple (also enjoying our anniversary), they pushed two beds together for us and allowed us to have the back room to ourselves. So thoughtful! The owner Manuel took us that evening to the best restaurant in town (on foot, in the rain!) ... In the morning, the breakfast of coffee/tea/juice, bread, and fruit is perfect, and again, even with car troubles, Manuel and his brother took us on a mini-tour of the city -- to the market (best food and best crafts!), to the main plaza, to "hot dog alley," and to search for the best coffee in town. You ask, and they deliver. They work so hard and are so enthusiastic about showing visitors the best of Guatemala city ... this is a must-stay hostel!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2011

While my stay was too short, Manuel still invested time in me as a guest. He goes the extra mile for all his guests even those he has no room for! I however stayed in the double room and had the best 6 hour sleep of my life...

Quetzelroo is probably doing more for Guatemala City tourism than the Government could ever dream of and they are to be commended for their passion for their city.

Airport pick ups, free wifi and a delicious breakfast as well as the after sales service make this the only hostel to stay in if you're in the city. Dont be tempted however to make your stay a pit stop - stay and see what the capital has to offer, you couldn't be in safer hands.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Even being now in Madagascar, i still think of my wonderful time at QuetzalRoo(m). I stay in Guatemala for a month and was using QuetzalRoo as a base to visit the country... it was indeed an excellent choice. QuetzalRoo team, became my small Guatemalan family. Today, 4 months later, they still are !
Dont miss this perfect place in Guatemala city. The whole team would make their best efforts to make your stay comfortable and adapt to your needs and requirements !!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Quetzalroo is definitely the best hostel in Guatemala City, Guatemala and even in Central America. The owners try to treat their clients in a very familiar way, and it works. I was planning to spend only one night in Quetzalroo but I ended up staying more than two WEEKS! Unforgettable! Keep up the good work guys!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2011

My experience at the Quetzalroo Hostel was a unique one' I only booked a bed there to take a nap during my 10-hour layover in Guatemala City en route to Costa Rica. I was extremely pleased to hear from Manuel, the owner (the only one that I was aware of, but it sounds like there's another owner as well), promptly after I inquired about availability. For a cheap price, he would pick me up from the airport, allow me to sleep for a couple of hours, and then drive me back to the airport. These were my basic expectations going in. What I did not expect was for Manuel to be so incredibly personable, friendly, and determined for me to have THE BEST TIME EVER in Guatemala.

Not only did my money get me a clean bed for a 3-hour nap, but Manuel took me to the nearby town of Antigua for a quick lunch and "express tour" of the charming city. He was extremely knowledgeable and intent on improving the general (negative) perception of of Guatemala City. Of course he has the motive of wanting to improve his business by drawing more people into his city; but I got the sense that in the end, he was just a warm and hospitable person just wanting to share what he knows best.

Although I didn't even spend a night at Quetzalroo, I had a fantastic experience. Judging from what I saw at the hostel and from other reviews, Manuel gives all of his visitors the same treatment. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I first stayed at Quetzalroo in May, 2010. It was my last night in Guatemala and a travel agent booked me there for a flight home the next morning. I had heard all the stories about violence in Guate and had some apprehension about seeing the city. Owners Manual and Annabelle made me feel so welcome and at home. Annabelle took me on a tour of the city, including the excellent National Museum of Archeology, and the next morning drove me to the airport. When I returned to Guatemala this month, I decided to spend a few nights there before going on the rest of my trip. I was glad to see that their business had grown some and yet they still retained the friendliness and hospitality I had remembered. They now nclude a free breakfast with your stay. This time, Manual showed me a great place to have dinner, and the following day, a group of us went on a tour of the central market with Manual pointing out some of his favorite places to eat. Guatemala City can be unnerving for a first time visitor, what with the negative reporting it receives in the news. Yet, I always felt safe, secure and cared for during my stay. I am a mature traveler and have choices but I would not stay anywhere else in Guatemala City.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo